Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#250351 - 08/28/12 12:57 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I'm still on the hunt for a collapsable walking stick.

Check camera stores. If I carry one, what I actually use is a monopod with/without a head depending on whether I'm also carrying the tripod.

#250353 - 08/28/12 01:42 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: UTAlumnus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Sierra Trading Post has hordes of walking sticks available. I was just checking their catalog today.

#250506 - 09/02/12 11:58 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: UTAlumnus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Quote:
I'm still on the hunt for a collapsable walking stick.

Check camera stores. If I carry one, what I actually use is a monopod with/without a head depending on whether I'm also carrying the tripod.

You're a genius, UTA! Thanks!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#250507 - 09/02/12 11:59 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Sierra Trading Post has hordes of walking sticks available. I was just checking their catalog today.

Thanks hikermor!

#250509 - 09/02/12 12:14 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So I walked out of the TO hospital this week and the subway was broken. I took a long walk to get to an operating and not entirely overflowing station and learned a few things along the way:

*My ortho sandles suck for long distance walking. Socks and my merrells are returning to the starting line-up
*I got a hot spot on one foot so I've also added a couple of blister pads to my FAK
*Ditching the 2L nalgene and the tool kit made nice differnce in the weight of the pack
*I took a bottle of juice instead of my nalgene. Refills weren't an issue because this was a subway only event but if it was a more broad problem (like the 2003 East Coast black-out), my 2L bottle would have been welcome
*The officials at the closed subway station were very helpful with info but a radio will come in handy if it's a broader event. My new mp3 player with built-in fm tuner is great but I need to figure out a way to charge it on the fly (cel phone charger solution stil pending too, so I'm hoping for a combo solution)
*this trip was in broad daylight, on a hot summer day. That walking stick will be welcome in more adverse conditions
*having something warm was a blessing in a building that was over-compensating for the combo of pregnant women and a hot day by running the a/c in the "extreme arctic" mode. I think I might swap put my fleece jacket for a silk sleeping bag liner. It's about the same weight but much smaller.

#250670 - 09/06/12 12:09 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I called hubby yesterday to tell him that I had to go to the Urgent Care Clinic because of a bladder infection. (This is a clinic that's part of the medical clinic I go to. If your doctor isn't available and it's not an ER emergency, they ask you to go there instead of any old walk-in clinic, so that your records can stay consolidated. It's fast too, and less of a burden on the system.)

It was an unenventful trip. I was in and out in an hour, prescription in hand.

Coming home was not quite so uneventful. Hubby was in a little bit of a tizzy. He thought I had gone to the ER. He relaxed as soon as I re-explained but he had an epiphany. The man who makes fun of my prepper habits, told me in no unequivical terms that I need to prep my hospital go-bag now. He even had a bag out ready to fill.

He's right, of course. So, I've packed a bag that's going to live near the front door so he can grab it quickly if he needs to, without having to run around the house freaking out not knowing what to pack. Last time, I got 7 pairs of underwear that didn't fit, 3 bras that didn't fit, a housecoat and 1 slipper. Thank goodness for best friends with a key to the house! wink

So far, this go-bag has:
-underwear
-socks
-slippers
-fleece sweater
-pants
-toiletries
-emerg phone list
-silk sleeping bag liner
-pillow
-water bottle

I'm also going to add a nightgown and housecoat. Once we get closer to the delivery date, I'll add in an alarm clock for feedings, nursing stuff and baby stuff. I'm sure there's something I'm not thinking about it. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

#250673 - 09/06/12 12:20 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Men are not very helpful in this department. However, I suggest you remember your last experience and see if there was anything that was particularly helpful.

#250684 - 09/06/12 04:35 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Once we get closer to the delivery date, I'll add in an alarm clock for feedings...

Curiousity is getting the better of me, so I have to ask why one would need an alarm clock? In my experience, the baby invariably lets you know when its time to wake up!

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#250690 - 09/06/12 07:12 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: thseng]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: thseng
Once we get closer to the delivery date, I'll add in an alarm clock for feedings...

Curiousity is getting the better of me, so I have to ask why one would need an alarm clock? In my experience, the baby invariably lets you know when its time to wake up!

Newborns may not get enough calories with self regulated feeding times. In that case, waking the kid and adding in an extra feeding may supply the required calories.

I've been drooling over this one. But, in all reality I'm going to be relying more on the wall clock to keep track of feeding and diaper times for the twins.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MEB3GE/?tag...c_df_B000MEB3GE

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#250691 - 09/06/12 08:23 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: thseng]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: thseng

You are absolutely right, thseng. They do, but as Marc says, sometimes they need extra feedings. Also, when my son was born, he ended up in the nicu being tube fed. I was worried that the nurses would let me sleep through so couldn't get to sleep. Once hubby brought me an alarm clock, I slept like a proverbial baby.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.