Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#250446 - 08/30/12 07:37 PM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
The real advantage to a D comes at much lower discharge rates, 10 mAh or less. A 3D direct-drive LED will be pretty dim at 5 mAh, but it will be a long, long time between "dim" and "dead".

I agree, a low drain light will last a really, really long time on D cells.

My uber long runtime "hurricane" light is to take a one of those plastic, olive drab GI 3D flashlights and stick a NiteIze LRB-07-PR LED bulb replacement in there. Still haven't been able to totally drain a set of D batteries yet, so I have no idea how long a set may last. It's only maybe 10-15 lumens, but with dark adapted eyes, that's satisfactory to see your immediate surroundings or for ambient light. That NiteIze is probably the lowest drain LED replacement commonly available nowadays (like from a big box store) that will work with a D-size light (or many lanterns). It's quite dim and most consumers want brighter, so even these will probably disappear at some point soon.

Edited by Arney (08/30/12 08:51 PM)

#250451 - 08/30/12 10:17 PM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: Arney]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
[quote=ArneyAt a reasonable 250mA current draw, that single D cell will last 16 hours. But the AA will last 9 hours, so the D cell provides less than twice the runtime even though it contains 6 or 7 times the total energy as the AA cell. Now which one looks more efficient? [/quote]

Can not agree, both suppliers data and experience suggests that a premium make alkaline D cell will supply 250ma for at least 50 hours and perhaps a bit longer.
A similar make of AA cell might last 9 hours, but 7 or 8 hours is more likely.

I would expect a zinc carbon D cell to last about 16 hours at 250ma.

#250453 - 08/31/12 12:37 AM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: adam2]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
My bad on the D cell stats. I went back to the spec sheet for a Duracell Coppertop (because how many folks buy premium D cells for their flashlights?) and the curve I was recalling is actually a 750mA curve, although the exact same color line on the AA spec sheet is used for 250mA, so I guess that's where I got them mixed up. It's not marked on the D cell graph but at 250mA, a D cell should last way longer than 16 hours.

Just curious, how many ETSers out there buy premium D alkaline cells for their flashlights, like the Duracell Procell? Just talking D cells, not CR123, NiMH or other types or sizes of cells.

#250454 - 08/31/12 12:45 AM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: LesSnyder]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Greetings to all!!!

Lafayette, La was a very good place to be during this Hurricane. There have been very few downed tree limbs and no one that I know has lost power. That includes folks who live in the country where electricity usually goes out rather quickly.

I am once again happy that I made the decision to leave Slidell, La 11 years ago and we moved here.

Since we left Slidell, La, it has now been submerged twice!!!

Edited by wildman800 (08/31/12 03:55 PM)

#250456 - 08/31/12 02:04 AM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: Arney]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Just curious, how many ETSers out there buy premium D alkaline cells for their flashlights

Premium Alkalines such as the Durcell Procells are quite expensive when purchased in small twin packs, they compare well with the German made Varta High Energy D-cells etc

http://www.amazon.com/Cell-Energy-Profes...ergy+D+Alkaline

Buying in Bulk is the way to go. Duracell Procells can be purchased for just over 1$ each when buying packs of 24.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Procell-A...cell+D+Alkaline

D cells compares very favorably (bang for the buck) with AA cells, when you consider that they have 6-7 times the stored electrical energy of an AA Alkaline cell and much greater potential to delivery high Watt/hrs capacities at higher drain currents. i.e > 1 watt loads. D cells are the way to go for home use! AA cells for portable lightweight gadgets.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Procell-A...cell+D+Alkaline

i.e. just under 50 cents per AA cell. AA cells to compete would typically would need to priced around 15-20 cents per Cell.

I will just purchase the occasional 2xD pack from a local discount store, which are just as good performers as the Varta and Duracell Procell and Coppertops, but will cost around half the price. These are Aerocell 2xD packs from Lidls (German made).

Generally though I have switched to German made Ansmann MaxE D LSD NiMhs rechargeables which are much more cost effective in the long run, although initially they are very expensive.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/31/12 02:07 AM)

#250458 - 08/31/12 02:44 AM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: adam2]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I also have home made lights that use 6 D cells in a plastic holder that is connected via a few yards of cord to a miniature screw base bulbholder with a screw base LED torch bulb.

What would be useful would be a conversion kit which would turn 3-6 D cell Maglites into a usable portable side lamp or Lantern. i.e. a wide base plate around 4-6 inches in diameter to replace the battery end cap for maximum stability as the Maglite stands vertically and a variable Lantern diffuser (wide to up lighter) to replace the Maglite head optics.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/31/12 02:44 AM)

#250459 - 08/31/12 03:01 AM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Arney... my flip answer a little while back was really the truth...my entire hurricane season specific purchase was a 10 pack of Energizer Max (7 year advertised shelf life) from Sam's Club for a little lesss than $10...for my "fan motor", a second battery fan, and (2) 2D LED MagLights that were door busters a couple of years ago at Lowes during the tax free hurricane days... IIRC they were $12 each..the rest

Midland 300 weather radio
Grundig FR200
Fenix E21
Black Diamond Icon headlamp
miniMagLite LED
Gerber Infinity task light
Coleman HiTec 3AA LED area light
Goal Zero Guide 10 battery pack

are powered by Sanyo Eneloops ... the Eneloops work with plastic "D" adapters/spacers to power the D MagLight, but I drop a quarter in so the heavy duty spring of the MagLight makes contact with the bottom of the AA cell

Edited by LesSnyder (08/31/12 03:03 AM)

#250466 - 08/31/12 11:00 AM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: wildman800]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: wildman800
Greetings to all!!!

Lafayette, La was a very good place to be during this Hurricane. There have been very downed tree limbs and no one that I know has lost power. That includes folks who live in the country where electricity usually goes out rather quickly.

I am once again happy that I made the decision to leave Slidell, La 11 years ago and we moved here.

Since we left Slidell, La, it has now been submerged twice!!!

Glad you're ok, Wildman. It sounds like things got nasty in some areas. Hope everyone came/comes through it just as well.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#250470 - 08/31/12 02:02 PM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: wildman800]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
good news indeed wildman

#250472 - 08/31/12 03:59 PM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: LesSnyder]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I am now in Post HurCon V. I am quickly getting stored items broken out and put back in their rightful places.

A friend in Central Missouri tells me that they are getting a "nice" steady rain with winds gusting up to 25mph. He's hoping this rain will continue for 24 hours since the ground is soaking up everything that's coming down.

I intend to take a stroll through the local grocery store that I strolled through yesterday and see if the meats and bottled water is getting restocked yet. It would be good to know the response time for this area to get resupplied.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.