Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#250384 - 08/28/12 09:55 PM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: TeacherRO]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I was surprised to see people still buying "D" cells...what for?

A direct-drive LED flashlight powered by Alkaline D cells can have a run-time measured in weeks, not hours. It's not bright, but on a dark night it's better than a dead regulated light.

Edited by James_Van_Artsdalen (08/28/12 10:00 PM)

#250386 - 08/28/12 10:25 PM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
For many applications a 1 watt LED in a 2+ D cell light is more than adequate. If you have an old MagliteŽ Flashlight which takes between 2 & 6 D cell batteries you can do a lot worse than upgrading with a 1 watt Terralux Ministar LED. For $12.95 you turn a crummy light into a pretty darn good LED flashlight with a lot of throw. The 2 D maglite in my truck has one. Not as bright as the 3 watt in my 3 D Mag, but the runtime should be longer.

Edit: According to the review it doesn't need to be a Maglight. Lots of old D cell lights out there. Dunno, I've only upgraded my Maglites.

#250389 - 08/28/12 11:00 PM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
besides...buying a pack of D's makes me feel like I'm preparing for hurricane season.. smile

#250391 - 08/28/12 11:18 PM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: Russ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
On the electrical thing....if you're going to run your house on a generator, you really should have a transfer switch installed. It breaks the connection to the utility and connects the generator to the home's panel. It also has its own individual circuit breakers for safety. Most places require a transfer switch as part of the electrical code if you are going to run home circuits off a generator.

There are automatic transfer switches, but for the average home owner a less expensive manual one will work just fine. It makes connecting a generator much safer and easier for everyone. You run one 240v extension cord from the generator the transfer switch, push a button, and your house is safely powered.

#250392 - 08/28/12 11:42 PM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: Paul810]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Paul810
On the electrical thing....if you're going to run your house on a generator, you really should have a transfer switch installed. It breaks the connection to the utility and connects the generator to the home's panel. It also has its own individual circuit breakers for safety. Most places require a transfer switch as part of the electrical code if you are going to run home circuits off a generator.

Either directly connect your devices to the generator using extension cords (or surge supressors) or use a transfer switch. Never, ever backfeed a generator into house wiring without one.

#250424 - 08/30/12 12:53 AM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: TeacherRO]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
fluorescent tube lanterns,and the big ole Mag-lites use D cells

#250429 - 08/30/12 09:45 AM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: TeacherRO]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I was surprised to see people still buying "D" cells...what for?

D size alkaline cells cost about twice as much as AA cells, but contain about 6 or 7 times the energy.
The cost per watt hour from D cells is therefore about one third of that from AA cells.

No alkaline cell is very efficient at high discharge currents, but for a given current D will be more efficient than AA.

As an example, a 0.7A flashlight bulb will only run for about an hour and a half on AA cells, but will run for 12 hours or more on D cells.

The extra weight and bulk of D cells is of little consequence for home use.

I use alkaline D cells in flourescent and LED lanterns, in Maglights, and in fans.

I also have home made lights that use 6 D cells in a plastic holder that is connected via a few yards of cord to a miniature screw base bulbholder with a screw base LED torch bulb.

The very light weight of the bulb and holder means that it is easily hung from any improvised support and lights a whole room.
If the batteries leak, then only a cheap battery holder needs replacement rather than a costly lantern.
The light is turned on/off by a switch near the battery holder, much more convienient than a lantern that might be out of easy reach.
The run time is over 100 hours from 6 alkaline D cells.

#250437 - 08/30/12 05:33 PM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: adam2]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: adam2
No alkaline cell is very efficient at high discharge currents, but for a given current D will be more efficient than AA.

As an example, a 0.7A flashlight bulb will only run for about an hour and a half on AA cells, but will run for 12 hours or more on D cells.

The length of time you can run a flashlight or other electronics on a given battery depends heavily on the load. For example, with flashlights, today's LED flashlights often have multiple levels and even the lower levels provide adequate ambient light when you don't need a lot of task lighting. My preference is always to use minimal lighting as much as possible, so using the lower levels on a flashlight is normal for me.

At a reasonable 250mA current draw, that single D cell will last 16 hours. But the AA will last 9 hours, so the D cell provides less than twice the runtime even though it contains 6 or 7 times the total energy as the AA cell. Now which one looks more efficient?

#250440 - 08/30/12 06:06 PM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: LesSnyder]
Addict

Louisiana Father-Son Team Rescues 120 From Flooding

Quote:
Jesse Shaffer, 25, and his father, also named Jesse Shaffer, 53, both of Braithwaite, La., stayed behind in their town to rescue their friends.

While police and the fire department were unable to reach some stranded people using their vehicles, the Shaffers were able to save lives using boats.

#250444 - 08/30/12 06:33 PM Re: preps for Isaac [Re: Arney]
Addict

Originally Posted By: Arney

At a reasonable 250mA current draw, that single D cell will last 16 hours. But the AA will last 9 hours, so the D cell provides less than twice the runtime even though it contains 6 or 7 times the total energy as the AA cell. Now which one looks more efficient?

Duracell appears to rate their Procell D (PC1300) at around 60 hour at 250 mAh at 70F, though its hard to figure out their non-specs.

Duracell Data sheets

The real advantage to a D comes at much lower discharge rates, 10 mAh or less. A 3D direct-drive LED will be pretty dim at 5 mAh, but it will be a long, long time between "dim" and "dead".

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.