Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#250278 - 08/26/12 08:41 PM Plain edge or Partially Serrated?
Vogeler Offline

I have another question I'd like you guys' input on. When choosing a general outdoor use, do you go with a plain edge or partially serrated, and why?

Thanks!

#250280 - 08/26/12 08:57 PM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I used to think that partially serrated was the way to go, for cutting rope, webbing and the like. I've since learned two important lessons: a very sharp straight edge knife will work a treat to cut rope and webbing if you know what you're doing. And it's much easier to keep a straight edge knife very sharp. It's particularly hard to sharpen a serrated edge in the field.

#250281 - 08/26/12 09:40 PM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
IMHO, partially serrated is a "Jack of all trades, master of none" type of thing. And that "Jack of all trades" part is being especially generous. I would recommend a plain edge. If you absolutely think you need serrations, then get a fully serrated knife. I cannot think of any scenerio where I would recommend partially serrated. You end up with a knife that's not very good at anything IMHO. Maybe on the really big knifes where you have such a long blade that you have enough room for both functional serrations and functional straight edge. But the typical knife is just not long enough to support both types of edge IMHO. Unless you buy one of those Mall Ninja Rambo knives. Those may be long enough, but are so crappy in other ways that it totally negates any benefit of their long blades. Plus, a long blade can be more of a hinderance than a help in most situations.

#250285 - 08/26/12 10:43 PM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Vogeler
I have another question I'd like you guys' input on. When choosing a general outdoor use, do you go with a plain edge or partially serrated, and why?

Thanks!

I think a plain edge is more versatile. It can be sharpened fine enough to shave with or you can edge it with a coarse stone and put a micro-serration edge on it to cut ropes.

Serrated blades require a bit more work/time to sharpen and this can't done with a simple flat stone. I have a Spyderco tri-angle which can make this a lot easier to do but I never really got the knack of doing it on my Spyderco Delica.

Personally I prefer just a simple fine edge the full length of the blade and that's the only type of blade I use now except for the separate serrated blade on my multi-tool. YMMV. I don't cut enough rope to make any significant difference or need for a serrated blade.

#250286 - 08/26/12 10:52 PM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Judging from what's on display at REI and other outdoor shops, partially serrated blades are all the rage these days. I think that is a shame. In my opinion a reasonable quality, well maintained plain edge is the choice for general use.

About the only serrated edges I have are rescue knives attached to our PFDs for sea kayaking and other boating use. The idea there is an instantly available knife to quickly cut oneself free from entanglements. Other than that rather specialized use I refuse to buy serrated blades.

#250290 - 08/26/12 11:47 PM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
The only circumstance where I carry a partially serrated knife is offshore. A serrated knife will cut wet slimy rope in a blink of an eye. And that may be all the time you have before you are dragged overboard. The rest of the time I use the straight part. I have a very old (at least 15 years now) benchmade folder with partially serrated blade.

Actually lately I have been carrying two knives. One for "cabin work" and a serrated fixed blade for deck cutting.

I would like to get rid of the old benchmade and get a new one just like it but with a straight blade.

Nomad

#250291 - 08/26/12 11:52 PM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
IMHTAO (In my humble, though accurate, opinion grin) I would opt for the full plain blade. I am left-handed and the serrated models have the scallops (serrations) ground for right-handed folks.

YMMV

My $.02

Edited by MoBOB (08/26/12 11:52 PM)

#250292 - 08/27/12 12:01 AM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I pretty much agree with what everyone here says, but I'm a classic, do as I say not as I do.

1) My "water" knife is a fully serrated Atlantic Salt by Spyderco. I've never used it to cut a line in an emergency but I think it would excel at it. I can verify that it cuts french bread and cheese quite well though.

2) I'd prefer a plain edge blade for pretty much everything else.

3) I actually carry a partially serrated blade 99% of the time. It is on my Skeletool. It has not let me down to date. Apparently the Skeletool I have now comes with a straight blade on it. I wish I had that one, but this seems to work fine.

3a) When I think I might "need a knife" I carry one or several others. The Skeletool is my EDC though.

#250295 - 08/27/12 12:58 AM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I've always preferred partially serrated blades but it was mostly asthetic. I do like the advantage being able to saw through vines and green branches, and I stink at sharpening so a serrated edge worked better for me at hat task, and left me with a partially smooth edge that has never let me down.

As I do a little more bushcraft,I'm finding that a fully smooth edge is better for things like batonning wood. My DH and DS got mea smooth edge fixed blade for Mother's Day, and I quickly fell in love with it.

It has slighty edged out my trusty old Ruko, with the serrated edge on the spine of the blade.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#250296 - 08/27/12 01:13 AM Re: Plain edge or Partially Serrated? [Re: Vogeler]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I also prefer a straight edge, and I have had occasion to cut lots of rope and webing

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.