The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#250156 - 08/22/12 09:57 PM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: Treeseeker]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I've never met an alkaline battery that didn't leak on something important. Duracell is by far the worst, but now Energizer has jumped to the lead. I'm on the bandwagon with everyone else, Lithium primaries for the stuff that sits long term and not used much and Eneloops for the rest. Neither battery chemistry has ever leaked on me.

Make a note right now of a stored radio, flashlight, or important electronic device that you have not used this year. If it has alkalines in it, pull them out. If you don't, you are simply asking for trouble. You might get lucky, but the alkaline Russian roulette will eventually catch up with you.

#250162 - 08/22/12 10:43 PM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: RNewcomb]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: RNewcomb

I've had some very bad luck with Energizer Rechargeables. If you don't use them for a long time, they will go completely dead and you can't get a regular charger to make them take a charge. I ended up throwing out about eight of them a few weeks ago.

Ditto,I used em early on,they sure arent eneloops and I have none left.

Great thread folks,thanks for all the great info,really appreciated!

Celler,is that a black GSD in avatar?

#250164 - 08/22/12 11:11 PM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
GradyT34 Offline

Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
Tenergy sells LSD true D, C and 9v cells, as well as AA and AAA. Their LSD D cell is rated at 10 Ah.

By "true D" cells, I don't think you mean I could place four of the Tenergy Lithium Thionyl Chloride D 3.6V's in my unmodified/standard 4D CCRadio2 or MagLite and would be good to go. To be clear, if you couldn't or shouldn’t, then they’re not equivalent or true.

Here's some footage of an open air lithium battery burn-off/explosion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS2hGoJVmlA .

#250166 - 08/23/12 12:14 AM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: GradyT34]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: GradyT34
Tenergy sells LSD true D, C and 9v cells, as well as AA and AAA. Their LSD D cell is rated at 10 Ah.

By "true D" cells, I don't think you mean I could place four of the Tenergy Lithium Thionyl Chloride D 3.6V's in my unmodified/standard 4D CCRadio2 or MagLite and would be good to go. To be clear, if you couldn't or shouldn’t, then they’re not equivalent or true.

Tenergy sells 1.2v LSD NiMH D cells with a rated capacity of 10 Ah. They also sell LSD NiMH C and 9v cells that work at ordinary NiMH voltages.

By "true" I meant that the D cell wasn't made of AA cells in parallel internally.

I don't know anything about their Lithium cells.

#250167 - 08/23/12 12:16 AM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: spuds]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Originally Posted By: spuds

Nomad,the bc 700 is a fine unit,major bang for the buck... but unfortunately its a 3volt wall wart.

Dougs advice,the maha, gets excellent ratings too.Im sure from what folks say you will be MORE than happy with the maha.

I have the Maha unit. It now has one bay that is bad (several years of hard service) so I am looking for a replacement. 3v is not bad. I can make a DC power supply to feed it. Does it give the complete spec? as in 3vdc at 3a or something like that?

The Maha unit has a rather large back lit display that becomes a bother at night. We live much of the year in a pick-up camper and the Maha is too bright for even a night light. I end up putting something over the display. However I would like to have it mounted on a wall, so now covering the display becomes a "project".

Nomad

#250174 - 08/23/12 02:17 AM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
GradyT34 Offline

Originally Posted By: GradyT34

Tenergy sells 1.2v LSD NiMH D cells with a rated capacity of 10 Ah. They also sell LSD NiMH C and 9v cells that work at ordinary NiMH voltages.

By "true" I meant that the D cell wasn't made of AA cells in parallel internally.

I stand corrected.

#250180 - 08/23/12 12:33 PM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: spuds]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Originally Posted By: spuds
<snip> Celler,is that a black GSD in avatar?

Yes, that is Raven the black GSD. Ninety-five pounds of treat-begging, trespasser-chasing, any creak in the night amplifying deterrence. Love him.

#250187 - 08/23/12 06:31 PM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: Nomad]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
I have the Maha unit. It now has one bay that is bad (several years of hard service) so I am looking for a replacement. 3v is not bad. I can make a DC power supply to feed it. Does it give the complete spec? as in 3vdc at 3a or something like that?

The Maha unit has a rather large back lit display
==============================
Ah,then this is perfect for you as the display isnt lit.

Output 3volt,2.8 amp per wall wart.

What the heck,its really hard to go wrong for 28 bucks for a smart charger.

If you get one make sure its the BC700,the BC900 had serious overheating problems.

One 'glitch',a REALLY dead battery wont charge,it wont recognize it.But if you stick it on a cheapo dumb charger for one minute its enough for the BC700 to see it and away you go.
Celler,gotta love those GSD's for sure.Black GSD,BTDT!
Grady,thanks for the youtube vid,thats some lithium fire,wow!!!!!

#250214 - 08/24/12 07:27 PM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: Eugene]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I was in a battery factory last year that had a truck load of Li batteries spontaneously combust in the parking lot one night. Interesting story. The truck was just parked there overnight. The fie department had a heck of a time putting it out.

Bob

#250217 - 08/24/12 09:36 PM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Every case of leaking batteries has been low end bulk buy batteries, and cheap equipment - like children's toys.

I think "low end bulk buy batteries" is the key here, not "cheap equipment". A battery can't tell what kind of device it's in. And the difference between, say, a steel contact and a gold plated one has to do with the resistance (electrical, not mechanical) that the battery must push against. High resistance contacts will deliver slightly less voltage to the device being powered. And will eat up a small amount of battery capacity and waste that as heat (but it's an infinitesimally small amount). That may affect efficiency of battery utilization, but the battery really doesn't care about that and won't leak just to spite you for not having gold plated contacts. Pairing dissimilar metals together can (but not always) have negative consequences (corrosion, etc.) but it's not like good equipment is made out of the same metals that batteries are (similar) and cheap equipment is made out of different metals (dissimilar).

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.