Sweet potato leaves? Can you buy those?

#250119 - 08/22/12 01:10 AM Re: A food forum? [Re: spuds]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: spuds
Sweet potato leaves? Can you buy those?

Yes...in the landscaping department of most big-box hardware stores such as Lowes or Home Depot. But they come attached to the rest of the plant!

Sweet potato vines are used as a landscaping plant all over the Houston/Gulf Coast area because they are one of the few plants which can handle our summer weather. They form the groundcover of my front flower beds and grow really fast so I have an almost endless supply. When conditions are right I also end up with sweet potato tubers just in time for Thanksgiving.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#250133 - 08/22/12 10:29 AM Re: A food forum? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Cjoi Offline
Stranger

Loc: N Cal
Martin,

You may find the information at the link, below, helpful for your tomato blossom end rot problem. This page explains the hows and whys of using Epsom Salts to prevent and even treat blossom end rot. Also, in future, try planting tomato plants in holes that have been given a nice scoop of bone meal or some such that is usually recommended for planting bulbs. HTH.

Don't generally have much to add to the discussions here but certainly learn a lot and appreciate the info/ideas!

http://suite101.com/article/prevent-garden-tomato-blossom-end-rot-with-epsom-salt-a238452

Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio

And for those still reading - any neat soil prep tricks to prevent bloom-end rot? About 25% of my tomatoes were lost to it this year. I have basically no limits to the things I am willing to do to prevent it next year, up to and including buying soil for a 30'x30' garden, but simple would be better.

#250143 - 08/22/12 04:10 PM Re: A food forum? [Re: Cjoi]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
From what I understand, blossom end rot is often caused by an interruption of the transport of calcium due to lack of water, rather than strictly a deficiency in the soil. I missed a few days of watering in a row and some of my tomatos got blossom end rot. I picked them off and the new ones are just fine, with no additions to the soil other than water.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#250149 - 08/22/12 07:13 PM Re: A food forum? [Re: spuds]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: spuds
Thats really nice! Ever make buckboard bacon,mighty fine stuff,I wont use regular bacon anymore.Not quite the same,but once youve made a couple ....well,Im not going back.

Not sure how the smoker part works but for cold smoking this is the cats meow,I have NO financial interest in device.Its made by a fellow at SMF forums. Makes smoking foolproof,Im living proof.Runs somewhere in the 70 dollars range.

You may like it a lot,most do.12 hour cold smoke times... I have the sawdust style,it is amazen for sure.

The 6x6 and 6x8 A-MAZE-N-SMOKERS(AMNS) are light weight, durable and portable smoke generators, that produce great quality smoke for cold and hot smoking. They are versatile enough to be used in just about any smoker or a grill. The Original A-MAZE-N-SMOKERS were designed to burn sawdust for cold smoking, but customers quickly found them useful at higher temps up to 180°.

The “NEW” A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER(AMNPS) is also a light weight, durable and portable smoke generator, but it’s designed to burn pellets or sawdust. The new AMNPS will produce smoke during cold smoking and hot smoking, tested up to 275°!

That actually looks like it would be very handy for use with my smoker. It's able to go down to 100 F but that would be handy to use inside of it for cheese and stuff. I googled it and there are some really cool youtube vids!

#250163 - 08/22/12 10:55 PM Re: A food forum? [Re: Phaedrus]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Yes it rocks,going to store right now to get 10lbs boneless pork shoulder for bacon,I cold smoke about 14 hours at 90 degrees or so after a 10 day brine,and that amazin will do it in one fill,amazing!!!!!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.