Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#250113 - 08/21/12 11:17 PM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: Treeseeker]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It is possible for NiMH to leak, I had some Radio Shack and Rayovac NiMH leak but never an Eneloop or other Sanyo NiMH

#250115 - 08/21/12 11:45 PM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: spuds]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Originally Posted By: spuds
<snip>

iM USING THIS CHARGER...This is a steal at the price,on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RSOV50/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01

La Crosse Technology BC-700 Alpha Power Battery Charger
<snip>

Looks interesting. However I live in a solar, DC world. I notice it has a wall wart type power supply. Could you tell me what voltage (hopefully 12dc) the power supply is rated at?

Of course I could run an inverter, but I am trying to get rid of all the AC stuff I can. Especially items that will be on for long periods of time.

Thanks
Nomad

#250125 - 08/22/12 03:39 AM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: Nomad]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Nomad
However I live in a solar, DC world.

My high-end charger is a Maha/Powerex C9000, and its input is 12 VDC. I use it for specialized tasks like battery forming.

However, my everyday driver is the much-underrated Duracell CEF23DX4N mobile charger. I have three of them. A little slower than the Maha, but it does have individual charging channels and comes with a DC lighter cord. I find it does a very good job. And there's still stock around -- I see them at occasionally at Best Buy and Staples for $20.

#250126 - 08/22/12 03:46 AM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: Treeseeker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Regarding alkalines:

Duracells and Energizers seem to leak for no good reason.

You may laugh, but I have much better luck using generic alkalines in occasional-use items. I buy AAs in 48-packs for about $9. Having gone through about four packs over the years, I think I had one leak (light switched on by accident) and one dud. That's it.

#250129 - 08/22/12 04:57 AM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: spuds]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns

Looks interesting. However I live in a solar, DC world. I notice it has a wall wart type power supply. Could you tell me what voltage (hopefully 12dc) the power supply is rated at?
====================================
Nomad,the bc 700 is a fine unit,major bang for the buck... but unfortunately its a 3volt wall wart.

Dougs advice,the maha, gets excellent ratings too.Im sure from what folks say you will be MORE than happy with the maha.

Cool thing about both units is how they condition the batteries for maximum life and charging ability.

Oh,IIRC the Kirkland alkalines are Rayovacs,they make a good battery.My Uncle was a mucky muck there,says they are as good a battery as any,and he was a very honest man,told me of some garbage one of there subsidiaries made back in the day,junk shock absorbers that were filled with hype and advertising,nothing more.So when he said good batteries,I sure believed him.

I used Kirkland alkalines before the NiMh's and never had a problem,think they are a good deal.For alkalines.

#250130 - 08/22/12 05:09 AM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: chaosmagnet]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Recharging primaries is highly disrecommended.
Thanks,wasnt familiar with the term 'primaries',means one time only apparently.

#250134 - 08/22/12 11:29 AM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: Treeseeker]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The difference is that the electrochemical reaction in a primary cell Is not meant to be reversible. If you recharge a primary cell, it won't work as well the second time around and is more prone to leakage.

I run Eneloops and protected 18650s in frequently-used devices. Otherwise it's Energizer Lithiums or Titanium Innovations CR123A lithium primaries. The one place that I still use alkalines is in my old Maglite 3D flashlights with LED upgrades. They're not very bright compared to my newer flashlights but I can drop them from dizzying heights onto concrete and only add slightly to the character they've accumulated. I've fished them out of the sump pit more than once without any ill-effects.

#250145 - 08/22/12 04:45 PM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: Treeseeker]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Eneloops for the win. And if you have camera's, they make a new version with enhanced capacity, although, they are pretty expensive.

I've had some very bad luck with Energizer Rechargeables. If you don't use them for a long time, they will go completely dead and you can't get a regular charger to make them take a charge. I ended up throwing out about eight of them a few weeks ago.

Energizer is now making "eneloop" type of batteries (the kind that comes pre-charged in the pack, and hold their charge over a much longer period of time). I'm trying some of those out right now, but I suspect I'll find myself just sticking with Eneloops. They are pretty rock solid. Only complaint is that they don't make "real" D size versions of them, they are just AA batteries put into holders. They fit, but nowhere near the capacity of a real D cell battery.

#250148 - 08/22/12 06:53 PM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: Treeseeker]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
I can't recall any batteries since '60s "9 Lives" batteries (the red ones) that leak as bad as modern Duracell alkalines. I would never leave them in something important.

Never had an Energizer alkaline leak, but then I use far less of them than Duracells because I find Energizers don't last as long. I do put Energizers in important stuff, like e.g. my GPS.

Some electronics are voltage sensitive, some are current sensitive. Eneloops for the current-sucking devices, alkalines (or even C-Zn) for the voltage sensitive ones.

Rechargeables in voltage sensitive devices is very frustrating, because after all you're starting out with equivalent to a "dead alkaline".

#250153 - 08/22/12 09:10 PM Re: New Duracell Durlock batteries [Re: RNewcomb]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: RNewcomb
Eneloops for the win. And if you have camera's, they make a new version with enhanced capacity, although, they are pretty expensive.

The "old" AA Eneloops were rated to hold ~ 80% of charge after one year, with a 2 Ah initial capacity. I don't remember the AAA specs.

There are two new AA Eneloops. The white ones still have a 2 AH capacity but are rated for 1500 recharge cycles and a 3 year at 80% rating. That's lifeboat or stored kit territory in my opinion.

The new dark AA Eneloops (Eneloop X?) have the same rating as the old Eneloop but a 2.5 Ah capacity.

It's worth noting that in my testing Eneloops almost always come very close to rated capacity (within 5%) or even exceed it. That's almost unique among NiMH batteries.

Quote:

Energizer is now making "eneloop" type of batteries (the kind that comes pre-charged in the pack, and hold their charge over a much longer period of time).

This feature is referred to as LSD (no, I didn't make that up!) or Low Self-Discharge.

LSD batteries require better materials, manufacturing purity, and electrodes. I suspect the can also has to be better to resist chemical attacks from the contents - you can't claim N years of shelf life if the can fails sooner than that.

Lithium calls have better cans too, mainly for liability/safety reasons.

I have read elsewhere that charged cells don't attack the can as quickly as discharged cells and that LSD cells are shipped charged to protect the can, although it may just be because they can do it (non-LSD NiMH would discharge before final purchase anyway so there was no point in the factory worrying about it pre-LSD)

Quote:

Only complaint is that they don't make "real" D size versions of them, they are just AA batteries put into holders. They fit, but nowhere near the capacity of a real D cell battery.

Tenergy sells LSD true D, C and 9v cells, as well as AA and AAA. Their LSD D cell is rated at 10 Ah.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.