Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#249902 - 08/15/12 03:04 PM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Stephen]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Before this I too thought "waterproof" and "watertight" were synonymous, but apparently in marketing lingo they are different (I wonder if there's a gov't standard for watertight). Regardless, from the quoted section above, watertight has something to do with "it floats". The question that comes to mind is, "floats for how long"? It probably floats long enough to grab it before water seeping inside causes it to not float.

In your case with it being a carry item, I would look at a small dry bag. It says "water-resistant" so again, I have no idea what that means regarding being dunked.

#249903 - 08/15/12 04:00 PM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Stephen]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
This problem goes past my understanding. All the contents of my PSK are waterproof and rustproof so it may leak all it wants, indeed, the case has drain holes.

Why have kit that rusts or rots unless it is cosseted and pampered?

How do you stop it from deteriorating after you take it out of the waterproof case for use?

Edited by Ian (08/15/12 04:01 PM)

#249943 - 08/17/12 12:02 AM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Stephen]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I'm second to that, though from a different angle. The regular silver (right - water-resistant-only) duct tape works just fine if you aren't really scuba diving with it. If still not sure - add a pair of good ziplock bags to the equation. All of the above (leaking) is due to the improper equipment use (PSK is not a purse, not reading instructions and specs, lack of checking for defects beforehand, unnoticed foreign particles in closures, skipping seals maintenance procedures, not following long storage recommendations, e.t.c.). Know your gear, especially if it's a professional high tech one - it's not fool proof.

#249949 - 08/17/12 06:28 AM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Stephen]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Stephen
In fairness though, I have tried the Witz "see it safe' type containers before and they leaked as well. No much but enough to dampen the items inside.

My Witz has not leaked on me. Anyway, Pelican cases are too big and impractical for carrying around.

#249952 - 08/17/12 02:10 PM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Stephen]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I still like the altoids tins (mostly because I like the cinnamon altoids that come in them, yummmm, so I have a LOT of them sitting around empty) for making small kits, as well as for organizing small items for my pack, but I do have reservations about the contents getting wet in the event of an unexpected dunk in the drink. I've been experimenting with a container like these:

http://www.anypromo.com/p-677401-swim-safe-box.htm?Source=PLA&gclid=CP2tu7fb7rECFQfCKgodqRUA5g

to keep the contents dry. I came across this type of container during a vacation at a water park (and DW also found some on clearance online and ordered them as well). The altoids tin fits in it perfectly with a little room around it for additional items (I'm also considering using them as containers for BOB fire kits, depending on if they pass the dunking test mentioned next).

A fairly simple test of whether the container will indeed keep the water out completely is to put some paper towels or TP in it and keep it submerged in your bathtub, in a kiddie pool out back, in a pot of water, or whatever you want to use. Leave it there however long you want (until morning, or a day or two), then take it out and open it up. The paper towels or TP will let you know for sure if any significant amount of water has made it in. I haven't tested the case I mentioned above this way yet, so I can't vouch for it's waterproofness, or it's watertightness, I'm still confused which is which, so let's just say I'm not sure it will keep the water out yet.

I'll test these out, sure, but I also like the looks of the otterbox 1000 that someone already mentioned, though they are quite a bit more expensive. My inner tightwad coming out again. Anyway, whatever you come up with or end up using, keeping the stuff inside dry is definitely a plus.

Usual disclaimers, no affiliations with any company mentioned or posted to. As always, YMMV.

#249954 - 08/17/12 04:47 PM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Stephen]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I saw some these waterproof plastic boxes the other day (I think at Walmart). Here thay are at Caelas:

Plano Waterproof Stowaways

#249959 - 08/17/12 08:11 PM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Treeseeker]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Ahhh hell,

I was playing around with photobucket and obviously killed all the pics of stuff. Oops... blush See if I can't fix that.

Actually, and this will make some of you laugh(and the rest think I am an idiot) I have played around a bit more with this whole PSK idea and decided to go back to the way I have always done things. I stripped the kits down and placed the items in pockets/pouches etc and left it at that. I did however, take one of the pelican kits out and gave it hell to see if it would leak and I am happy to say it did not.(for those who wanted to know) I know the web says it isn't waterproof, but at several feet it held up just fine.

After it was all said and done I just didn't like having everything stored in a PSK (tin/plastic case or otherwise) I placed the whistle, signal mirror and flashlight on lanyards attached to the vest, Pinned the mini compass to the zipper pull, added the fire steel combo to a pocket with the para cord and heat sheet blanket and attached a rescue knife(hook type) to the straps. The WM1 will be worn around my neck as always. The matches/striker/tinder went into a plastic vial. While on a mountain biking trip yesterday I put the wire saw through its paces just to test it out and am still undecided if it is usefully enough to bother carrying or not (I will post something on that later)

One thing that will remain in a Pelican case for now is my iphone. That device is likely to save my bacon before everything else is after all.

Like I said before, I wanted to give the idea a fair shake before knocking it. Some folks may like the idea of a little survival "kit" but I experimented and found it's not for me.

Thanks for all the feedback and replies folks. If nothing else it was a good learning experience for me.

Edited by Stephen (08/17/12 08:20 PM)

#249960 - 08/17/12 08:19 PM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Stephen]
Stephen Offline

This is what it did look like before I changed it again, just for the sake of posting.
I had one for the kayak and one for the bike.

[img:center][/img]

#249966 - 08/17/12 10:46 PM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Stephen]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There are times where a nicely packaged PSK works quite well, and there are situations where it doesn't. Like you,I usually am quite well equipped with the (pick a number between ten and fifteen) Essentials somewhere on my body as EDC; primarily because the firestarter, map, compass, knife, etc. will be used regularly - I don't usually need to lug around a bunch of redundant items, especially if I am on foot, which is typically the case.

Like many of us, I am redundant on fire lighting equipment. Typically I use a regular lighter as my ordinary fire or stove igniter, ut I do tuck away other means - matches, cotton balls, and sparkers as backups. Those goodies do indeed fit nicely into an Altoids tin.

Somehow I am not surprised that a small candy tin, designed for use and then discard, is not the perfect bulletproof container for long term storage of vital materials.

#249973 - 08/18/12 12:42 AM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: ]
Stephen Offline

That's a very sexy job Izzy. How did it hold up to testing?

Did you find condensation would build up on the inside of that thing with direct sunlight? I found the clear Pelican case would, but not the black.

As well, I have been meaning to ask someone

Quote:
No affiliation....etc, etc.

Why do so many of you guys add this to posts? I mean I kinda know why, but is it always necessary?

Edited by Stephen (08/18/12 12:42 AM)

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.