Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#249874 - 08/14/12 11:10 PM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: bacpacjac]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
One of the keys for me, especially when I'm paddling, is that I want my PSK on my body, not in the boat. One nice thing about an altoids tin is that it's compact, and will fit in most of my pockets easily. I always have a kit in a pelican box when I'm in a boat, but I always have the basics on my person too. some boats are designed not to sink, but that doesn't mean they won't float away.

I just finished repacking my vest. The Pelican case is larger, but no so bulky as I first thought. I wouldn't want to carry it in a jeans pocket, but it fits nice in the life vest. I already had one in the other pocket for my iphone. After all the getting wet it was dry as a bone inside.

I hit some rapids a few years ago and wiped out. I went one way, my paddle another, and the canoe continued a Kilometer or so before hooking in some rocks badly dented. I took me a couple of hours to find everything again, and the canoe would sway to one side constantly afterward. Iam just getting back into this sort of activity but I still remember that day very well. Could have ended badly.

I will post some pics of the new version later....

Edited by Stephen (08/14/12 11:12 PM)

#249878 - 08/15/12 12:00 AM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Stephen]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

Stephen, keep in mind that some of the Pelican cases such as the smaller 1010 and up to the 1060 models are only water resistant, not waterproof. Many kayakers and canoeists out here have discovered this the hard way when their P&S cameras, phones, GPS and other small gadgets packed in a Pelican have not survived a dip into the drink....

John Lubbock

#249879 - 08/15/12 12:17 AM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Teslinhiker]
Stephen Offline

Really ? says here they are submersible to 50 feet.

http://www.cameracanada.com

#249882 - 08/15/12 12:29 AM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Stephen]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
The Pelican.com website clearly states for the 1010 model:

GREAT FOR RUGGED SPORTS - NOT FOR SWIMMING OR SUBMERGING
Water resistant, crushproof, and dust proof.

Also all the cases up to the 1060 state the same.

John Lubbock

#249887 - 08/15/12 02:03 AM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Teslinhiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
OTOH the Otterbox 1000 series case
Quote:
...is waterproof, crushproof AND watertight (it floats!).

I have a 1000 series and a 2500 OtterBox Drybox, both clear along with a clear Pelican 1020. The Pelican 1020 says "watertight", not "waterproof".

#249888 - 08/15/12 02:04 AM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Stephen]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Altoids tins don't come with an IP rating

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

You could aways put the Altoids tin in an Aloksak or equivalent waterproof sealable bag or vacuum seal or use some RTV sealant to seal the top and bottom edges.

Quote:
Lofty Wiseman was wrong about his SAS combat survival tin

The idea for the SAS combat survival tin was that it was the same tin used for making rolly up cigarettes, whereby most nicotine addicts keep it on them all the time and don't really have a problem keeping their rolling tobacco dry. wink

Otterboxes and Pelican cases are excellent for keeping things waterproof, if you can accept the trade off for additional weight and additional bulk, which is a major downside if the idea is to keep the PSK on you at all times.

Quote:
You may as well wrap everything in paper towel.

How did you keep your TP dry. I can't see me using a Pelican case for that. whistle

#249890 - 08/15/12 02:39 AM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Teslinhiker]
Stephen Offline

Man...what a difference in info given for the same product eh? Thanks for the heads up. I guess it's always wise to go with the word of the people who made the product.

I have had these underwater on the same trip however. My camera was in one(1010) in the back of the kayak under 4 inches of water constantly. Because it's clear some fog gathered on the inside of the lid but not enough to screw up the camera. My iphone was in another Pelican (black 1020) in my vest the entire time. Like I said before, dry as a bone. Maybe it only will leak if you go deep with it?

#249891 - 08/15/12 02:41 AM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Russ]
Stephen Offline

Whats the difference between "waterproof" and "watertight"? I always assumed they were one in the same.

I bet the otterbox is good as well. The only reason I opted for the Pelican is that I have so many kicking around already.

#249892 - 08/15/12 02:51 AM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Stephen Offline

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

How did you keep your TP dry. I can't see me using a Pelican case for that. whistle

See the big pelican stowed in the back there? That's where the TP goes ! I can deal with wet clothes for a few days but wet TP? ohhh hell no.

[img:center][/img]

All my important stuff goes in the big Pelican (1300) It was a trial run. I never took it before as it wouldn't fit in the hatch of the sit in kayak I had. Everything has to go on the deck of this one. I have since dressed it up with glow tape for the next trip. The smaller one you see had my camera inside. I had to put the camera in separate so I could access it without going over. I cannot turn around to open the 1300 while in the water else I will tip for sure. What you don't see is the fact all that gear was in several inches of water while paddeling. It drained out when I puller her up the beach.

Everything else soaked through. I got a lot to learn about keeping crap dry with this type of kayak.

I know someone will ask. Yes. everything is attached by a lanyard smile

#249896 - 08/15/12 03:36 AM Re: If you have a Altoid tin type PSK, throw it away.. [Re: Stephen]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Keeping your kit dry in difficult conditions has all manner of dry bags and sealed rigid boxes etc. Some it would seem are better than others. Another alternative would be the Polycarbonate Nalgenes that no one wants to drink from anymore due to the BPA. They are very lightweight, tough and waterproof.

BTW whats the make of the Dry bag which failed. It looks like one of those lightweight eVent compression sacks. One to avoid it would seem. Gul and Musto waterproof dry bags might be the way to go for your application.

http://www.speedsails.co.uk/C~Waterproof_Dry_Bags__4703.html

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.