Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#249743 - 08/11/12 04:15 AM Re: Life vest PSK (with pics) [Re: Stephen]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
A signal mirror was the first item listed.

#249753 - 08/11/12 02:42 PM Re: Life vest PSK (with pics) [Re: Stephen]
widget Offline
Addict

I would do away with the whistle, redundant since you have the Fox 40, pack it in a waterproof case like this one:
http://www.rei.com/product/723130/witz-keep-it-clear-sport-case

I would find a single AAA flashlight that is waterproof instead of the Innova (which seem to fail easily) and I would replace the cord with some of this:
http://www.bestglide.com/milspec_paracord_type_1a.html

This cord has inner strands that can be used or left intact for 100 Lb test.

I would add a small fishing kit like this:
http://www.bestglide.com/compact_emergency_fishing_kit.html

Also, try to get that mini-Bic in there. Soak the cotton balls in Vaseline or get some TinderQuik tabs.

#249757 - 08/11/12 04:59 PM Re: Life vest PSK (with pics) [Re: widget]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: widget
I would do away with the whistle, redundant since you have the Fox 40, pack it in a waterproof case like this one:
http://www.rei.com/product/723130/witz-keep-it-clear-sport-case

Are you implying a waterproof case for the Fox 40 whistle?

When I am out in the canoe, the whistle is always securely attached to my PFD as the last thing I want to worry about is rummaging through gear looking for a whistle to hopefully attract the attention of other boaters close by, especially in colder weather and water where your life expectantly can be measured down to minutes. With the carabiner attached, there is enough length in it and the attachment point for the whistle to be used hands free once you place it in the mouth with no worry of losing it if accidentally released from the mouth.

As a side note. Our provincial .gov freely hands out 1000's of these Fox 40 whistles every year. Needless to say, I have a lifetime supply of these whistles stashed everywhere.

John Lubbock

#249760 - 08/11/12 09:21 PM Re: Life vest PSK (with pics) [Re: Stephen]
widget Offline
Addict

Not a waterproof case for the whistle, a waterproof case for the survival items. Keep the Fox 40 hanging from the vest.

#249762 - 08/11/12 10:12 PM Re: Life vest PSK (with pics) [Re: Stephen]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Canadian Tire has the MP1 water purification tablets, if you haven't found them elsewhere yet, can't get much more convenient than that in Canada.

#249764 - 08/11/12 11:56 PM Re: Life vest PSK (with pics) [Re: Stephen]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Nice kit Stephen!

I put glow in the dark tape and reflective tape on my gear for the same reason but I've never been able to find a tape that was glow in the dark and reflective. Would you know the manufacturer?

Thank you

#249767 - 08/12/12 02:17 AM Re: Life vest PSK (with pics) [Re: Stephen]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: Stephen
A signal mirror was the first item listed.

Damn, another senior moment. Sorry.

#249768 - 08/12/12 02:57 AM Re: Life vest PSK (with pics) [Re: Stephen]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Oh man, so many replies. Where to start

Widget - I have tried similar cases to those and they have all failed. Usually only to protect keys, cash etc but I have not found any yet that were good. Maybe I just had a bad run of luck. (they all leaked) I have since removed the inova and twine. I need something a little more waterproof so I was leaning toward the EO1(maybe) This is just a back up to my back up. I have a pelican pinned to the vest on the out side and a headlamp in the cargo area. I decided to add 15 feet of real para cord. I didnt wrap it around the tin but rather rolled it in a tight bundle and used an elastic to hold it to the side of the tin. I would like to use brighter colored para cord but I get all the OD stuff I could ever want free from work so I stuck with that.

Those tinder in there are the Coghlan's brand. You can soak them over night and still light them. Very amazing. They are pressed with some sort of wax I believe. I still can't fit the BIC in despite my best attempt. I have a brunton windmill lighter in my pack however.

Teslinhiker - Which province do you hail from that gives out these whistles? I have only just moved to Ontario so there are a lot of things I am still unfamiliar with. I agree the whistle must remain on the outside of the vest. I have one in the tin and one on the vest. It's not to be overly redundant, it's just that I built several of these kits exactly the same to be used for a variety of outdoor stuff. I know the contents are all the same. If I pull one out of my life vest and throw it in the saddle bag of my mountain bike I want to know my basics are covered.

Cfraser - Man... I just came from Canadian tire with a new kayak (they are going on sale now) new ramps for my truck, a new hydrolic jack and 30 L of oil. The only thing I couldn't find were the MP1 tabs. The CT in Edmonton always had them but not here. My PM it doing odd things. If you still want that "thing" we talked about shoot me a quick one and I will toss it in the mail. All the boxes are unpacked here now and I actually managed to find one.

Quietly learning - Sorry I don't. I bought this stuff at an American PX store while training down in the States a few years back. It comes on a roll and has an adhesive backing. It's checkred looking and has the same qualities as a reflective belt (plus it glows) The adhesive isn't all that good so I used super glue to give it extra stick. I have since added a little piece to some of the smaller parts of the kit. I think it had the name "cat eyes" somewhere in the name. But I may be wrong.

Dweste - No worries. I forget my keys twice a day and I am only in my mid 30's. At least you can use being a senior as a reason. smile

#249783 - 08/13/12 01:43 AM Re: Life vest PSK (with pics) [Re: Stephen]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Thank you Stephen!

I believe I found it... LUMINOUS CAT-EYE MARKING TAPE.

grin More toys!!! grin

#249784 - 08/13/12 01:56 AM Re: Life vest PSK (with pics) [Re: Stephen]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Stephen
Oh man, so many replies. Where to start

Teslinhiker - Which province do you hail from that gives out these whistles? I have only just moved to Ontario so there are a lot of things I am still unfamiliar with. I agree the whistle must remain on the outside of the vest. I have one in the tin and one on the vest. It's not to be overly redundant, it's just that I built several of these kits exactly the same to be used for a variety of outdoor stuff. I know the contents are all the same. If I pull one out of my life vest and throw it in the saddle bag of my mountain bike I want to know my basics are covered.

I am in BC.

As for the whistle, yes always keep it on your PFD. The whistle on my PFD is never, ever removed just in case the day I needed it most, I had forgot to clip it on. Free or not, whistles are low enough in price not to justify having one in every gear kit.

John Lubbock

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 433 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.