Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#249720 - 08/10/12 06:58 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Krista, the one thing I don't see is a clear statement of the critical situations that would leave you no option but to bug out. (Apologies if I've missed it.)

IMHO, these scenarios must be the basis of your bug-out plan and the gear you choose. You may also discover that making preparations for sheltering in place may be a much more practical approach.

My 2c.

#249728 - 08/10/12 09:26 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't want to sound too negative, but it is time for a reality check. A 400 miles self contained foot march is about 2-3 times further than what you would expect from military Special Forces on good flat terrain in good ambient temperate weather conditions.

Individual MREs only have around 1200-1300 Kcal in total. Individual entrées when stripped from the MRE package may only contain 300-400 Kcal. Complete MREs are heavy weighing an average of 1.7 lbs each. They are only really useful for a mechanised military! wink

Even bicycling for someone who is unconditioned may struggle to get 30-40 LSD miles per day. 400 miles on a bicycle + Childrens trailer could become a 10-12 day trip requiring at least a minimum 20-25 MREs.

An Electric Bicycle retrofit conversion wheel/kit or Electric Bicycle and a Powerfilm F15-3600 60w Folding Solar Panel or two could help considerably with the effort in good sunny weather on flat roads but this would be quite an expensive solution.

#249729 - 08/10/12 09:35 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I highly recommend reading this site about disaster planning and bugging out plans. This was written by a Katrina survivor. It was recommended by another member here a few weeks ago.

Listening to Katrina

What I found most valuable was the three plans: 60 second plan, 1 hour plan, and 12 hour plan. You will be interested in all the discussions about kids including the neat ID necklace idea.

The BOB section is here: BOB 1

The author has a unique perspective having been through a large disaster and not being properly prepared.

It is probably more than 30 pages, but you can skip some of the political discussion sections. And don't try to read it all at once.

There is a lot of great information on this site. I suggest bookmarking it as a reference. I find myself returning often.

#249739 - 08/11/12 02:41 AM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Treeseeker]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
So many great responses and so much great advice, I’ve had to spend the day trying to figure out where to start in my reply back!

First, I’ve learned a huge variety of things from each of you, so you have all helped me in your own ways and I appreciate that!

@AndrewDS: I have no idea what a micro jimmy bar and an LED wand are. Harry Potter-esque flashlight? &#9786;

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
I'd replace the folding shovel with a folding saw to process firewood...

a water filter so you can process more water, and not have to rely entirely on a finite number of purification tabs

a "push along" heavy tire bicycle or Mormon push cart to transport your daughter

Agreed 100% on the shovel. My husband seemed to think I would need it... me, not so much. I'll probably tell him to put it in his bag if he wants it so bad!

I also like the idea of a water filter, it's one of those purchases I have been putting off... and the cart idea is a great idea considering my distance challenge.

@Stephen: Thank you for your thorough post! I agree, I had not really considered that small game wouldn’t be as plentiful as I imagine. And yours (and everyone’s) concerns about the stamina and endurance needed for such a track is very much noted, and I will be hard at work on an alternative. Ideally, I’ll have my vehicle!

@Burncycle: Your entire post resonated with me, so I won’t quote it all here. I especially like the idea of a prepaid phone for my daughter, I think they even make them these days especially for the youngest children so that they can only make calls to certain numbers like mom or 911. That just moved up my priority list. I also appreciate your thoughts on tents with mosquito netting, that sounds like just the thing I need.

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Krista

Check You tube and search for ( Homemade MRE's ) They show you how to assemble yourr own MRE's from common foods in the market. This is especially imprtant for your kid. Even for you I guess it is better to eat foods you already have tried and liked. Survival times are not the best times to try something new.

Also, the firelighters ( Green Box ) are like a dozen giant matches. If your "bug out" trip takes many days , these will not be enough. Keep in mind that a dozen may in fact mean half a dozen because some of them may be blown out due to wind or rain. Add some lighters and/or waterproof matches. They will increase your chances of starting fires without adding much weight.

Try to make more hoemade stuff and add to the BOB. Examples like cotton balls soaked in vaselene ( there are You tubes on how to make them , real easy ) and homemade MRE's ..etc. This minimizes the cost and adds more "feel" and experience while you make them .

Also, take some weekends with your daughter to test or practice "bugging out" even in your own backyard ( setting shelter, starting fire, cooking dinner on a stove ..etc. ). These weekends will show you first hand what problems you will face personally or what problems may face your daughter or dog

Think and plan for possibilies of being separated from the dog or the daugher. ( What if ?) Train her to some strategy . Think about giving her a whistle just in case. Experts here can debate whether it is a good idea to make a necklace for her whistle or that maybe a choke hazard.

In her bag or pack , put full contact info with your phone # and any other relative in your destination.

Thank you Chisel! I loved your post. I did check on the homemade MRE’s, and I am definitely gonna start doing these. My kid loves MREs, but I hate them, so this is actually ideal for me!
I also checked out the Vaseline cotton balls on youtube, and I was amazed at how quickly they ignite and are used for a building a fire. I mean, I guess it’s common sense, but I would have never thought of it. I’ll be ditching those firelighter things to fireplace duty. My daughter has a whistle, and I have been teaching her to hug a tree and blow the crap out of the whistle!

@All- A lot of you didn’t like the MREs, except Jac. My intention with these was to have enough to get us through the first few days, and then rely on hunting/foraging. They are definitely heavy, so I see the areas of complaints with them. For now, I have reduced to 4 of them (2 for each of us), and I will be working on making my own MRE’s.

@BackpackJac: Extra clothes are in the works, as we get the new school clothes for daughter we will be adding extras for the bobs. &#9786; Gives me an excuse to shop for myself at the same time! My daughter loves being involved. She’s been helping me choose the comfort things for her bag, and she gets so excited when I let her blow her “I’m Lost” whistle as loud as she wanted INSIDE! Also, by your and chisel’s suggestion, I am already planning a one night camping trip at a local campsite so we can have lots of fun and work on skills at the same time. I love that kids never realize that they’re learning!

Originally Posted By: LED
Hi Krista. Thanks for sharing your BOB contents! Its a brave thing opening yourself up for constructive critique. smile

My only suggestions would be plenty of emergency cash, at least 1 credit card, and a printed list of phone #'s and address of friends and family. And of course the usual car maintenance items: jumper cables, 12V air pump, spare tire w/jack, etc. And maybe even a CB radio.

It's definitely not easy, but I really like this site because people seem to genuinely enjoy helping one another, not bashing or anything. smile
Thanks for your suggestions. My truck has a basic kit with the items you mentioned except the cb radio. I don't know what the air pump is for (tires?) but I'm pretty sure I don't have one of those. I'll check into it.

@chaosmagnet: The water purification tables are the chlorine dioxide. I had the iodine ones, but someone here told me they taste gross, so they got relegated to my husband’s kit. wink

The lights are not LED, I will however see about upgrading as I go. I’m keeping a running list after this thread.

@JBMAT- Toilet paper, yes!

Originally Posted By: MDinana
OK, my 2 cents ...

I think the people above have great advice. That pack is OK, IF it fits you well.

Plan for 1 day of rest every 5-7 days of hiking - you'll need it!

FAK - adequate. I like more, but I'm biased. You'll probably be OK. Add some duct or medical tape, and some more gauze, and some more moleskin or molefoam.

How much ammo? I wouldn't take more than 3 mags of .40, or more than 100 rds of .22, but that's just me. You're eating, not fighting a war.

Knife - Mora's are cheap, light and relatively good quality. Not to mention you already have a blade on the Gerber and apparently in your pocket. So a fixed blade is almost a 'back up' too.

Tent. You've got a kid, right? You think you'll both like being wet and cold? (it's ALWAYS bad weather when you least can afford it). Make the kid carry the poles or something to help distribute the weight.

Overall, good start though!

Thank you! I think I will be trying out several different bags. I figure the only way to know for sure if it's the right back is to load it up and get out in it!

I'm a little nervous about the fixed blade knife... I'm afraid I'd do something stupid like fall on it! Not much ammo. The magazine that's in it and a spare. Like you said, surviving, not war.I've been looking online at the ultralight 2-man backpacker's tents. Any thoughts on those? I'm hoping to take some sort of first aid class as soon as they offer one in the area at a time that works for me, I figure I can improve my first aid kit then. Why have a bunch of stuff I don't know how to use?

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Krista, the one thing I don't see is a clear statement of the critical situations that would leave you no option but to bug out. (Apologies if I've missed it.)

IMHO, these scenarios must be the basis of your bug-out plan and the gear you choose. You may also discover that making preparations for sheltering in place may be a much more practical approach.

My 2c.

You didn't miss the clear statement, I did not make one. I guess you could call this the "big stinky crud has really splattered all over the place bag". I have a get home bag in my car, and I have an overnight/weekend bag that I could live out of if I had too. This bag is meant to be sort of more all encompassing...

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
I don't want to sound too negative, but it is time for a reality check.

It's not negative, it's helpful! I do realize that the odds in that long distance type of bug out are crazy against me.

The flaws of MREs have been pointed out, and I can definitely work on a better solution! I wasn't really planning to try to carry enough food for the whole trip... just enough to get through the first "oh my god this sucks" few days. smile

Thank you for your very mechanical suggestions, I will research them, but they are at the bottom of my list! Bugging IN is my primary plan. smile

@treeseeker: Thank you for the Katrina link, it’s moved to my Reading List! &#9786;

LASTLY TO ALL: What is the proper etiquette here for responding to so many people? Is it try to put them all in one like I just did, or what it have been better for me to reply individually? Sorry if this was a strain on the eyes, I wanted to reply to each of you because you’ve been so incredibly helpful!

Edited by Krista (08/11/12 02:42 AM)
Edit Reason: This post made me an official MEMBER! Yay!!!! :)

~Marion C. Garretty

#249742 - 08/11/12 04:09 AM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The etiquette is to respond in a way that makes sense to you. Mission accomplished. I hope we were helpful.

#249749 - 08/11/12 10:57 AM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I second Chaosmagnet's opinion. You did a perfect job of replying to a LOT of posts at once. smile

#249759 - 08/11/12 09:04 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? and the price is right, [Re: Krista]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
IMO
Considering a 400mi. trip with your daughter and not your husband??
Will you be packing everything, can your daughter pack anything?

No way that you will make the trip without re-supply. I would suggest two
re-supply points at a minimum. Can you locate cache points now and stash
some water, food, fuel, socks etc. I am thinking this trip will take at least 3 weeks
but more like 4.

Don't pack more than 2 MRE's total. For a bug out IMO they are ideal, almost a survival
kit in there own right it sucks that they weigh so much. You need to switch to FD food.
FD is not as bad or expensive as you think, just be selective on purchases. I Like Chili Mac, it's not to spicy, a 2 person meal for $6.00. Most of the meals for my taste are a bit saucy so I also add extra instant rice to "help" and bulk them up. Instant oatmeal is another standby, so are oatmeal cookies, trail mix, nuts, etc. etc.
Trail menu's can take an entire thread.
Check Wal-Mart and REI Outlet for food deals.
Still for 400mi. no way will you be able to pack enough.

On the gear:
I would drop the folding shovel and use a garden or folding trowel, heck even a GI mess kit spoon makes a good shovel.
Forget the flashlight and switch to keyring lights and keep the headlamp or just use only the headlamps. Still nice to have one keychain light on a easy to find zipper tho.
Those firestarter matches are handy but do you need that many? Only use them in a real emergency, not just cuz you want a fire bcuz you need a fire!
Collins Gem is a nice survival guide about 1/4 the size of what you have . Is it as good,
only you can decide.
Forget the mess kit and switch to a small coffee can HD rubbermade containers 1 or 2 cup size storage bowls with snap on lids for use as cups, bowls or storage. Having a small
plastic measuring cup is handy and only weigh's an extra oz.
For a knife perhaps a SAK Rucksak or slightly smaller Camper, both have saws.
You need to add a sleeping pad (s). to your list.
A Tarp is more versatile than a tent, and I happen to like sq. cut sleeping bags bcuz they can be used as a bag or blanket.
A stove will be tough, you need fuel and lots of it for 400mi. If using a lp gas stove
I would guess a min. of 4 1lb cans, ie 1 per week. IF using a liquid fuel stove plan on a min. of 3/4 gal 1 gal more likely. Either type of fuel will be more than you want to carry. I personally can get by with a full Svea stove + 1.5 pts. for a week.
Perhaps a Emberlit stove could work for you, still it weights 11oz

And lastly don't forget that pack weights 6 pounds empty, perhaps consider a different
pack down the road. A HD pack can be had that is under 4pounds, save that 2 pounds for supplies.

And the list can go on and on.

Almost forgot, don't forget to pack a few HD trash bags, they have to many uses to list.
Shelter, rain cover, wind protection, storage are just a few of them. At least 1ea and one spare.

Edited by frediver (08/11/12 09:09 PM)

#249761 - 08/11/12 10:06 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: spuds]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: spuds
How much will it weigh and maybe a pepper spray? Some defense thats less than lethal.

If you're in a situation where you have to walk 400 miles to find safety, I don't think pepper spray is going to do much for you in the way of defense. That stuff barely works (if at all) when you can quickly spray an attacker and then run for help and call the police. That's not going to be the case in the scenario described. I would take an extra loaded mag for the .40 over some pepper spray. The .40 should be in a holster on your hip too, not buried in the backpack.

Actually, I think the OP has done a lot of good thinking and researching on the BOB. Planning to walk 400 miles is maybe a bit over the top in terms of realistic expectations though. Especially with a 6 year old.

#249763 - 08/11/12 11:53 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? and the price is right, [Re: frediver]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: frediver
IMO
Considering a 400mi. trip with your daughter and not your husband??
Will you be packing everything, can your daughter pack anything?

No way that you will make the trip without re-supply. I would suggest two
re-supply points at a minimum. Can you locate cache points now and stash
some water, food, fuel, socks etc. I am thinking this trip will take at least 3 weeks
but more like 4.

Don't pack more than 2 MRE's total. For a bug out IMO they are ideal, almost a survival
kit in there own right it sucks that they weigh so much. You need to switch to FD food.
FD is not as bad or expensive as you think, just be selective on purchases. I Like Chili Mac, it's not to spicy, a 2 person meal for $6.00. Most of the meals for my taste are a bit saucy so I also add extra instant rice to "help" and bulk them up. Instant oatmeal is another standby, so are oatmeal cookies, trail mix, nuts, etc. etc.
Trail menu's can take an entire thread.
Check Wal-Mart and REI Outlet for food deals.
Still for 400mi. no way will you be able to pack enough.

On the gear:
I would drop the folding shovel and use a garden or folding trowel, heck even a GI mess kit spoon makes a good shovel.
Forget the flashlight and switch to keyring lights and keep the headlamp or just use only the headlamps. Still nice to have one keychain light on a easy to find zipper tho.
Those firestarter matches are handy but do you need that many? Only use them in a real emergency, not just cuz you want a fire bcuz you need a fire!
Collins Gem is a nice survival guide about 1/4 the size of what you have . Is it as good,
only you can decide.
Forget the mess kit and switch to a small coffee can HD rubbermade containers 1 or 2 cup size storage bowls with snap on lids for use as cups, bowls or storage. Having a small
plastic measuring cup is handy and only weigh's an extra oz.
For a knife perhaps a SAK Rucksak or slightly smaller Camper, both have saws.
You need to add a sleeping pad (s). to your list.
A Tarp is more versatile than a tent, and I happen to like sq. cut sleeping bags bcuz they can be used as a bag or blanket.
A stove will be tough, you need fuel and lots of it for 400mi. If using a lp gas stove
I would guess a min. of 4 1lb cans, ie 1 per week. IF using a liquid fuel stove plan on a min. of 3/4 gal 1 gal more likely. Either type of fuel will be more than you want to carry. I personally can get by with a full Svea stove + 1.5 pts. for a week.
Perhaps a Emberlit stove could work for you, still it weights 11oz

And lastly don't forget that pack weights 6 pounds empty, perhaps consider a different
pack down the road. A HD pack can be had that is under 4pounds, save that 2 pounds for supplies.

And the list can go on and on.

Almost forgot, don't forget to pack a few HD trash bags, they have to many uses to list.
Shelter, rain cover, wind protection, storage are just a few of them. At least 1ea and one spare.

You gave me some great advice here!

First, I'd like to clarify: I do NOT plan on ditching my hubby!!! LOL> He is in the military and often away in other countries for months at a time. I'm working on my plan for if SHTF while he is not here. There is a different plan in place if something terrible occurred while he is home.

The caches are a great idea, I will definitely do my homework to see if this is something I can accomplish.

Originally Posted By: haertig

If you're in a situation where you have to walk 400 miles to find safety, I don't think pepper spray is going to do much for you in the way of defense. That stuff barely works (if at all) when you can quickly spray an attacker and then run for help and call the police. That's not going to be the case in the scenario described. I would take an extra loaded mag for the .40 over some pepper spray. The .40 should be in a holster on your hip too, not buried in the backpack.

Actually, I think the OP has done a lot of good thinking and researching on the BOB. Planning to walk 400 miles is maybe a bit over the top in terms of realistic expectations though. Especially with a 6 year old.

The .40's always on my hip! smile

I appreciate your comment, I really have put a lot of thought into the contents and the challenge, even if it might not seem that way at first glance. So thanks for noticing! smile

~Marion C. Garretty

#249772 - 08/12/12 02:14 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? and the price is right, [Re: Krista]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If you are including a lengthy hike in your possible scenarios, you should explore the techniques developed by thru hiker, the sort of folk who do the length of the Appalachian Trail, the Continental Divide Trail, or the pacific Crest Trail. Such walkers typically cover 20-30 miles a day, resupplying at intervals of about one week. Their gear is streamlined, multi-use, and extraordinarily light. They also are in very good physical condition,so keep hiking - that will be tremendously important.

Hopefully none of this will ever be necessary, but if it does come to pass, let's hope your daughter is closer to sixteen than to six, so she can say, "Gosh, Mom, you look tired - let me carry your pack for a while."

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.