The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#249774 - 08/12/12 02:40 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Krista, if you're husband's military, you might want to talk to his command and see what plans they have in place to help the dependents if needed. Some places might be well-planned, others might be utterly lacking.

Re: knives - guns are typically much more complex. If you can handle a .40 compact, I'm sure the knife will be fine. The big downside of a Mora knife is that it's typically smooth handled, but they make some with a decent finger guard at the pommel. Ragnar's has a good selection (google him, yes, it's spelled correctly).

Food. Definitely second freeze dried, vice MRE's. Or, at least keep FD for the "sit-down" meals, ie, dinner. MRE or similar for lunch is OK. Pick your poison for breakfast - I used to do just instant oatmeal, grits or a power bar when I was camping a lot. Maybe consider a small fishing pole and kit. Fish would be a nice change of pace, and sometimes you can cut back a few pounds if you catch enough to feed yourself. Remember though, if you're bugging out, so is half the state...

Ultralight tents. No real preference or experience. I have a REI 1-person tent that I love. Probably most of the big name stuff will be fine. North Face, REI, Marmot, Outdoor Hardwear. You might want to find a good ultra-light forum and lurk for a few weeks before you purchase some of the bigger items, like tent, water filter, even a pack.

Clothes: Just make sure that you dedicate a lot of good quality, synthetics for you and your kid. I'd consider 3 pairs of underwear for each (kid's potty trained, I hope?) and 6 pairs of socks. You can rinse/dry as you filter water.

Regarding feminine hygiene. Don't know how many you packed, but if you're truly going to go 400 miles, I'd consider packing enough for 2 cycles. Murphy's law says it'll come twice, just to screw with you. On the other hand, biology sometimes will keep Aunt Flo away under an increased exercise burden... things to consider.

Edited by MDinana (08/12/12 02:42 PM)

#249787 - 08/13/12 02:35 AM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
There has been mention of using a bike as transport. Like anything else, the body has to be conditioned for such endeavors.

The reason I say this is because after a few years of only, short mountain bike rides, I am getting back in longer distance riding and found that although I am in good physical condition, this did not initially translate to good bike riding condition. It has taken pretty much the whole summer of part time riding to get to the point that 30-35 miles in a few hours time and in very varied terrain (uphill/downhill, pavement, gravel/dirt trails) is now achievable without suffering with sore legs, sore butt, numb hands etc. To ramp up to perhaps double that distance or more per day will take awhile yet. And I would think that for anyone considering using a bike as a vehicle under your scenario that they really get out on the bike and get a lot of training miles in.

On the same subject, the weather has peaked here into the high 80's to low 90's F. In the last 2 days of riding, I consumed 4 liters of water each day in a relative short riding distance. The OP probably lives in a much hooter summer environment and needs to consider that daily water consumption on longer riding days can possibly be 2-4x higher for one or more people. That is a lot of water to plan for and refill as you go. This means having multiple methods of water filtration and treatment such as a Katadyn filter and plenty of water treatment tablets such as Aquatabs or Micropur.

John Lubbock

#249793 - 08/13/12 02:42 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Teslinhiker brings up a very significant issue - whatever mode you might choose for a "bug out" and whatever gear you might select, training and experience are all important. An emergency is no time to be learning new skills and novel procedures.

#249794 - 08/13/12 03:25 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
Hi, all.
I'm a lurker newly joined to the group. As such, I won't be posting too often, too much to learn. I do think, Krista, you might consider seeking ways to reduce the weight carried or pulled if you will have a chance to go 400 miles. One thing you might consider is a wood gas stove such as:
http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/WoodGasStove/
Advantages include no need to carry fuel. You simply scavange it up as you walk. It is a home-made item so you can save needed money for things best purchased.
A disadvantage would be heavy rain might make it tough to find fuel,(carry a second means of heat such as heat tabs), and it may smoke depending on design and construction.

#249795 - 08/13/12 04:41 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
Fyrediver Offline

Looks like you're off to a pretty good start.

I do have some suggestions as to gear selection that I'll share with you.

Eliminate the firestarters and exchange them with a container of Vaseline impregnated cotton balls. The smallest spark will ignite these "tinder" balls. They're extremely inexpensive and work very well. Add a butane lighter as well. I'm a fan of duplication except when it comes to fire and that I triplicate!

Tent? Perhaps get a good lightweight siltarp and learn to make a variety of shelters out of it? Good ponchos will give you the same ability and provide raingear as well. You can attach two ponchos and make a very comfortable tent quickly. Open and close the hood for ventilation. I've spent many rainy nights in Washington and Germany in a poncho tent and have been very comfy.

I think the MREs have a purpose and that's for cold or quick camp meals. Freeze dried is lighter but you need hot water for most of the entrees. That means fire and that means smoke and light -- which if you're trying to hide could be problematic. You can find lots of quick prep food at your grocery much cheaper than commercial "prepper" food. Consider high calorie & fat food like peanuts.

Water: you'll need a lot more than the bottle you show can hold. Consider a single walled steel bottle: you can boil directly in the bottle. Also, maybe some bag "bottles" like the flat Nalgene or Platypus ones. There are also hose & nipple kits that convert these bottles to hydration inserts. Well worth the money.

I have a small Trangia alcohol stove that uses gasoline alcohol (methanol only!) additive. Smokeless and very compact. You can also easily make an alcohol stove from a two soda cans and a pocket knife. I also have a twig burning stove as mentioned above -- endless fuel.

Extra socks! Keep them in a water proof bag. They're worth their weight in gold when your feet are wet and tired. Also, good boots that are well broken in and waterproofed!

I think in order to cover that distance on foot you'll have to have some sort of wheeled cart. I like the game cart idea but have seen several others on websites of people walking around the world. Certainly your child won't cover that distance easily on foot. Also, make certain your pack truly fits or you'll be miserable in a couple miles.

Finally learn and practice skills! Making improvised shelters, fire, traps, the alcohol stove I mentioned, and so many others. Skills and knowledge are key and are more important than gear.

#249805 - 08/13/12 06:52 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: JPickett]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: JPickett
Hi, all.
I'm a lurker newly joined to the group. As such, I won't be posting too often, too much to learn. I do think, Krista, you might consider seeking ways to reduce the weight carried or pulled if you will have a chance to go 400 miles. One thing you might consider is a wood gas stove such as:
http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/WoodGasStove/

Advantages include no need to carry fuel. You simply scavange it up as you walk. It is a home-made item so you can save needed money for things best purchased.
A disadvantage would be heavy rain might make it tough to find fuel,(carry a second means of heat such as heat tabs), and it may smoke depending on design and construction.

Welcome to the group, JPickett! Don't sell yourself short. This is a great suggestion and well worth consideration!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#249814 - 08/13/12 08:06 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
"This is a great suggestion "
Thanks, Jac. And take good care of your baby.
My own daughter is 13 weeks along.

#249823 - 08/14/12 01:03 AM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I love such threads! So many interesting resources, such enjoyable conversations...

#249834 - 08/14/12 12:31 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: JPickett]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: JPickett
"This is a great suggestion "
Thanks, Jac. And take good care of your baby.
My own daughter is 13 weeks along.

Hee hee! Another future ESTer in the making. Congratulations!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#250072 - 08/21/12 01:24 AM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Considering a small person and a small dog; I'd +1 the idea of a basic bicycle and trailer.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Eugene, Jeanette_Isabelle), 234 Guests and 114 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.