Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#249667 - 08/09/12 11:35 PM Review My BOB Please?
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hello Everyone. I am FINALLY working on my BOB. Finally. I was hoping that you all would be willing to review my status thus far, and offer advice tailored to my specific situation. I’ll summarize. I am in okay health, a little overweight but working on it every day with a more healthy diet and active lifestyle. I am 5’4” with little muscle, but I’m working on that too. I’ve been carrying a pack every time we go on our walks. I have a 5 (almost 6) year old daughter who would be traveling with me.

Obviously, first choice is stay in place, 2nd choice is use the car. Last resort is travel to our destination on foot. This is the bag I am making for the event that we have to travel on foot. I have a small sized dog that will be traveling with us. He will not be able to carry anything, except maybe a small bit of his own food. I have taken pictures and listed what I have and what I will be adding within the next two weeks. I would really really appreciate it if you guys could take a minute to think about my situation, and let me know where I’m lacking and what I can do to improve. Also, as a side note. My destination is quite far away, around 400 miles... (but I have no other location available to me, that’s my only option IF my home becomes unsafe).

Here is a picture of my pack (If I can remember how to post a picture)

Here's a picture of the gear I have so far

Here's a picture of the first aid gear I have so far

And, here's a written list. If I didn't do the pictures right... well... sorry. crazy

What I Have General:

MRE’s (Not sure how many to bring for myself and my almost 6 year old, Thoughts?)
Water Purification Tablets
Stainless Steel Water bottle
Folding Shovel
Gerber Multi Tool
Flashlight and Headlamp with extra batteries
Flint striker thing
fire lighter/tinder combo
waterproof matches
Signal Mirror
Compass
Mini Survival Guide Book (I have a copy that I read regularly, this is the spare)
Paracord (will be wrapped around straps and in a very fashionable bracelet)
Ammunition

What I Have First Aid:

Sterile Combine Pad
Iodine Solution
Gauze Bandage
Burn Dressing (I’m clumsy arund fire)
Antibiotic Ointment
Random Combo of Bandages Swiped from Hubby’s Gear
Band-Aids
Medical Tape
Hand sanitizer/sanitizer combo
Toothpaste
Feminine Products

Defense/Hunting:

Ruger 10/22
Ruger SR40C (I know a 9mm would be more practical, but I practice more with my .40)

What I Know I will be adding very soon:

Toothbrush
Hotel Size Soap
Bed Roll
Tarp or Tent and/or sleeping bag (Thoughts?)
Knife (I keep one in my pocket, but want one just for my bag)
Map (I have a map, from google maps, but I hate the route and want to get topos to make my own route. And, yes, I actually do have a destination, and yes, I do know how to read maps)
Small Supply of Dog Food (Figure I will share with him anything I’m lucky enough to catch)
Extra Medications
Tylenol
Antidiarrheal medicine
Backpacker’s Stove
Mess Kit
Small fishing setup of some sort

So, advice, suggestions anyone? Also, advice for how to organize this mess?? I hate that it seems so scattered and random, but I am not sure how to organize it better.

PS. If this is in the wrong forum, I'm sorry. I put it here because the bug out would definitely be longer than 5 days. Please move is this the wrong spot!

Edited by Krista (08/09/12 11:40 PM)
Edit Reason: added a ps

~Marion C. Garretty

#249668 - 08/09/12 11:44 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
How much will it weigh and maybe a pepper spray? Some defense thats less than lethal.
Bug spray.

Edited by spuds (08/09/12 11:45 PM)

#249671 - 08/09/12 11:59 PM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Wow!! Where to begin......

If you really are contemplating a scenario that could involve a 400 mile trek, you should really get some experience with that pack. I suspect that there are many models more suitable for your purpose than what you have. What is its capacity?

Weight will be a big issue for your trekking scenario, and yet, relatively trivial if you can drive all or nearly all of the way. MREs are way too heavy for continued. backpacking use - many more favorable foods are available; many can be found in typical supermarkets. At the same time, you are not carrying enough water - that pipsqueak stainless steel canteen should be replaced by something with more capacity, unless your route takes you along a nice river.

For that matter, what sort of climate, terrain, etc. are involved in your planning? That makes a huge difference, to say nothing of seasonal changes....

If I were planning an emergency trip of this nature, I would seriously consider utilizing a good touring bicycle, which will compress a twenty-five day trip (at least) into a more negotiable 5-6 day trip, provided you have the conditioning and stamina for either mode of travel.

Are you sure you have no safe havens any closer than 400 miles? You will need at least a few places where you can rest and regroup for at least a day or two.

Good thinking, and thank you for an interesting problem. This should be a lively thread.......

#249673 - 08/10/12 12:12 AM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: spuds]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I would recommend to include some comforting items for your 6 year old, e.g. a favorite toy, a colorful book, a jar of hard candy she likes, crayons, e.t.c.

A small sewing kit and some safety pins?

Also I think you can fit in a small radio to listen to the news. What about a spare charger for your phone?

As for the organization. A bunch of good quality zip lock bags is good enough. They provide moisture protection, easily slip in and out of the main bag, and can be re-purposed for other tasks in obvious ways.

#249675 - 08/10/12 12:30 AM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Alex]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: spuds
How much will it weigh and maybe a pepper spray? Some defense thats less than lethal.
Bug spray.

Weight... I'm not sure! I was thinking that I would load it up with the essentials, and then work on minimizing the weight as much as possible. Bug spray is a great idea for my area! Pepper spray is a good idea too, I need some of that for my purse anyway.
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Wow!! Where to begin......

If you really are contemplating a scenario that could involve a 400 mile trek, you should really get some experience with that pack. I suspect that there are many models more suitable for your purpose than what you have. What is its capacity?

Weight will be a big issue for your trekking scenario, and yet, relatively trivial if you can drive all or nearly all of the way. MREs are way too heavy for continued. backpacking use - many more favorable foods are available; many can be found in typical supermarkets. At the same time, you are not carrying enough water - that pipsqueak stainless steel canteen should be replaced by something with more capacity, unless your route takes you along a nice river.

For that matter, what sort of climate, terrain, etc. are involved in your planning? That makes a huge difference, to say nothing of seasonal changes....

If I were planning an emergency trip of this nature, I would seriously consider utilizing a good touring bicycle, which will compress a twenty-five day trip (at least) into a more negotiable 5-6 day trip, provided you have the conditioning and stamina for either mode of travel.

Are you sure you have no safe havens any closer than 400 miles? You will need at least a few places where you can rest and regroup for at least a day or two.

Good thinking, and thank you for an interesting problem. This should be a lively thread.......

The pack. *sigh* This pack is one of many that we already had laying around. I chose this out of all the others because it was the only one with a frame. I thought that it would help make the bag more manageable. I have no idea what the capacity is, but when I put in all that stuff in the pictures I still have LOADS of room.

I agree that MRE's are too heavy. For now, I am packing what I have on hand, and swapping out items as I upgrade.

I know my water needs loads of work, but that will be remedied shortly.

The route is half flat, coastal area, half mountains (where I actually feel most at home having been raised in the mountains).

Unfortunately, for now, this is the absolute closest haven I have. I don't want to be one of those people who would bug out with nowhere to go. I suppose I am looking at it in a TEOTWAWKI kind of scenario. For something more likely, shelters are an option, although I worry about finding one that would accept my dog.

I hate bicycling. But I see your point. My concern is that I would be more visible (again, I may be looking at this from the more paranoid perspective).

Originally Posted By: Alex
I would recommend to include some comforting items for your 6 year old, e.g. a favorite toy, a colorful book, a jar of hard candy she likes, crayons, e.t.c.

A small sewing kit and some safety pins?

Also I think you can fit in a small radio to listen to the news. What about a spare charger for your phone?

As for the organization. A bunch of good quality zip lock bags is good enough. They provide moisture protection, easily slip in and out of the main bag, and can be re-purposed for other tasks in obvious ways.

Comfort items are going into a small backpack for my daughter, along with a safety whistle, some snacks, a bottle of water, identification card.

Good idea on the sewing kit! I do have some safety pins stashed on the bag.

I will definitely be using the ziplocks idea too, and checking on a radio. Thank you!

I feel like my BOB is off to a horrible start. LOL.

Edited by Krista (08/10/12 12:31 AM)

~Marion C. Garretty

#249680 - 08/10/12 02:03 AM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
Andrew_D_S Offline
Stranger

Loc: Gold Coast, Australia
I carry a smaller backback in the Denali 'Swoop' backpack and I think I am at my upper limits of weight capable by this backpack.

You really need to asses wether you would be able to carry a heavy BOB, and with the variables with what has happened for you to start using it and to lug it around with you.

Some of the items I carry in my BOB are the following.

-2 Sealed boxes of AA & AAA batteries (30pc per box - Lithium & Alkaline)
-Bug lotion in rub on 'Bushmans' - rub on is less wasteful and not a fire risk - it contains lots of deet (Australia sucks for insects!)
-full size duct tape
-Paracord & other ropes
-Micro Jimmy Bar
-LED Wand (multi function led)
-2 LED Torches - one for everyday and the other is for performance & light power.
-Chainsaw handsaw blade (self made)
-electrical cable and a button and spare LED's
-Thermal blankets
-Tarpaulin (3x2 meter)
-fishing line, hooks, swivels, wire trace etc (can work as a snare trap)
-good quality St/St padlock & keys
-Kong screw gate caribiners (24Nm), Kong belay & 15 meters of rope & a loop harness.
-Scrubbed / blacked out all the reflective pieces on my BOB for night time security (JIC).

And so many other things I cant remember off my head... I should make a list of it all...

#249682 - 08/10/12 02:42 AM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I'd replace the folding shovel with a folding saw to process firewood... use a twig stove so you don't need to carry fuel... if you need to dig a "cat hole" for a latrine, use a pointed stick

replace the band aids with larger (that can be cut down) telfa non stick pads and self adhering tape... it has more utility

a GI poncho with mosquito netting and closed cell pad might have more utility than a tent

a water filter so you can process more water, and not have to rely entirely on a finite number of purification tabs

a "push along" heavy tire bicycle or Mormon push cart to transport your daughter

#249685 - 08/10/12 04:46 AM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Looks like you know someone in the military with all those things you just "had laying around" smile

I got a bunch of stuff from work laying around as well. Thats a big rule in any emergency I recon. Learn to use what you have available. Theres nothing wrong with the pack in the picture if you can carry it comfortably (key word) It may draw a few looks, but it looks sturdy and the money you would waste on another pack could be spent on something you don't already have. If you cannot carry that pack comfortably you may want to consider replacing it then, as 400 miles is a lot of distance.

As far as reviewing you gear you must also consider that you are the only one who knows where you will use it, how you will use it, and all the other special cirmstances that would make everyone on this forum pack something different.(climate, topo etc)

I have no idea what a person would need to walk 400 miles in north Carolina, but as a Canadian I would trade 3/4 of what everyone else suggested and half of whats in your pack right now for warm clothes and a good broken in pair of boots. For me, my biggest considerations would be things like a wool toque, gloves, rain gear, a fleece or wool sweater, Good sturdy footwear, sunglasses, and like someone mentioned, lots and lots of water as well as as many ways possible to find and purify more along the way.

IMO, take it for what it is, Things like folding shovels, books, extra firearms, fishing gear etc are wasted weight. The chances of successfully hunting, trapping and fishing along the way will be a lot slimmer than you think. If the average person only knew how hard it is to "live off the land" they would happily give thanks each and every day they dont have to. You may be best off using that space for calorie dense foods like mainstay bars, or heaven forbid pemmican if you could stomach the taste. If it were me I would remove everything from its packaging unless totally necessary (like food obviously) Invest in a good solid water purification pump and add lots and lots of BLISTER BANDAGES TO YOUR FA kit. Trust me, I have carried a pack similar to yours for over 16 years and its the blisters that will bring you down first if the feet are not conditioned.

If you are not used to walking with weight for long distances taking the time to condition your body now may be a bigger investment than any amount of fancy gear you will stuff in that bag. I can't stress that one enough. Packing the bag is one thing, but carrying it is another. A 400 mile trek is a big endevor, even for someone like myself and I do this crap for a living. You may as well accept the fact that you will be carrying your little girl most of the way as well if on foot and alone. No kid I know is going to walk 400 miles. I can't get my daughter to walk to the dishwasher....Anything you could do to not have to walk would be worth consideration. You hate riding a bike? well imagine walking 400 miles through a huge emergency with bleeding feet, dehydrated and carrying a scared little girl on your shoulders with 300 miles to go. Right about then I bet the bike would sound pretty good. Not trying to sound snarky, just saying.

In the end, know that every oz of weight you carry must be worth it or it is a waste. If you can't realistically find a god reason to carry it then learn to live without it or learn to improvise it on the fly (like the pointed stick vs shovel that lessnyder pointed out) Stick to the basics (like proper clothing, water, shelter) and get your body ready as best you can to be able to make that 400 mile walk if and when you ever have to.

#249689 - 08/10/12 06:39 AM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Hey, it's a great start. You will continuously add (and remove!) things over time, and at the end of the day only you can decide what to include.

Since you're oriented towards being on the move, don't worry so much about the pack until you get the footwear and clothing sorted. In your car along with your pack, you can include a good pair of broken in hiking boots, underarmor type moisture wicking underwear, and other proper clothing that you can change into from whatever you happen to be wearing.

Second, while people tend to like self sufficiency, odds are you won't have to make the 400 miles on foot even without a vehicle. Other than hitching a ride (with associated risks), sometimes a couple hundred dollars in cash will do what a whole bag of goodies won't when it comes to being able to keep you and yours safe. It means a hotel room, or a bus, and food.

Whenever you get the gear the way you like it, take a couple days and hike some legs of the Appalachian trail. It will give you real experience lugging the pack around, and the experience will help volumes.

Here's my recommendations, for what it's worth
-Proper hygiene kit oriented towards you being on the move, including but not limited to (you already have some of this) Gold Bond powder, Bordeaux Butt Paste, Bodyglide, Moleskin, Sunscreen, Bug Repellant, Feminine Hygene stuff, wet wipes and TP. Spare socks.

-For shelter, bugs are your primary concern much of the year. Because you're with company, you'll probably want a multi-person shelter like a small trail tent with mosquito netting. Keep in mind inexpensive tents tend to leak, you might want to treat it with waterproofing spray. It can get cold enough in the winter that hypothermia is a concern so you'll have to decide how you want to handle that as well.

-For water, you already mentioned fixing your situation there. I prefer a large source (2 liter canteen or 3 liter bladder) and one or two smaller sources (canteens or nalgene bottles with cups) for flexibility in cooking and purifying. Purification tablets will work for the majority of water you might find. Filters are nice but can get very expensive, for a kit you'll only be using in an emergency you might add just a couple of water filter straws (like lifestraw or the ones by frontier). These should be used in conjunction with chemical treatment or boiling and only by themselves directly from a source if all else fails.

-A good knife doesn't have to be expensive. A more robust (~$15) combined with a proper hand saw will be able to do almost everything you'll need when it comes to processing wood. Maybe throw in a multi-tool (good for disassembling your car if you need to, grabbing hot or sharp items, cutting wire, etc)

Other practical items include a spare phone battery (or external battery pack with sufficient capacity to last 2-3 days), a pay as you go phone for your daughter, a couple of FRS/GRMS radios maybe.

Everyone needs to start somewhere, I've been tweaking mine for years, I still change and improve things here and there (and I went WAY too heavy at ~65 pounds, I need to cut mine down lol)

Edited by Burncycle (08/10/12 06:40 AM)

#249690 - 08/10/12 06:48 AM Re: Review My BOB Please? [Re: Krista]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Krista

Check You tube and search for ( Homemade MRE's ) They show you how to assemble yourr own MRE's from common foods in the market. This is especially imprtant for your kid. Even for you I guess it is better to eat foods you already have tried and liked. Survival times are not the best times to try something new.

Also, the firelighters ( Green Box ) are like a dozen giant matches. If your "bug out" trip takes many days , these will not be enough. Keep in mind that a dozen may in fact mean half a dozen because some of them may be blown out due to wind or rain. Add some lighters and/or waterproof matches. They will increase your chances of starting fires without adding much weight.

Try to make more hoemade stuff and add to the BOB. Examples like cotton balls soaked in vaselene ( there are You tubes on how to make them , real easy ) and homemade MRE's ..etc. This minimizes the cost and adds more "feel" and experience while you make them .

Also, take some weekends with your daughter to test or practice "bugging out" even in your own backyard ( setting shelter, starting fire, cooking dinner on a stove ..etc. ). These weekends will show you first hand what problems you will face personally or what problems may face your daughter or dog

Think and plan for possibilies of being separated from the dog or the daugher. ( What if ?) Train her to some strategy . Think about giving her a whistle just in case. Experts here can debate whether it is a good idea to make a necklace for her whistle or that maybe a choke hazard.

In her bag or pack , put full contact info with your phone # and any other relative in your destination.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.