Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#249580 - 08/08/12 03:56 PM Cockpit video of plane crash
duckear Offline
Addict

Amazing video

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=835_1344412426

No fatalities. Dudes were filming five minutes after the plane went down.

#249581 - 08/08/12 04:24 PM Re: Cockpit video of plane crash [Re: duckear]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
So much for picking your place to crash. Bad things can happen very quickly before you have time to react. In this one the first clue was the long take-off roll -- after taking off one time they touch down and do it again. IOW the plane was overloaded for the conditions present IMO.

#249582 - 08/08/12 04:28 PM Re: Cockpit video of plane crash [Re: duckear]
hthomp Offline
Outdorus Fanaticas
Journeyman

Loc: AR
...density altitude (the lack of respect/understanding for/of) can be a killer. Glad this turned out okay.

#249612 - 08/09/12 12:30 AM Re: Cockpit video of plane crash [Re: hthomp]
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
Was that a computer tablet in the pilots hand? (I only saw it in the slow motion at the end.)

Take off roll was way too long. Clearly overloaded for the conditions. Abort or turn back. Turning back is difficult when the plane does not want to fly.

Very lucky people.

Craig T.

#249616 - 08/09/12 01:03 AM Re: Cockpit video of plane crash [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The "computer tablet" looking thing looks like the aileron/elevator control (aka the steering wheel) wink

An abort would have been appropriate. When the aircraft settled following the first half of the take-off, the pilot should have taken the opportunity to rethink the situation and stay on the ground.

#249618 - 08/09/12 02:48 AM Re: Cockpit video of plane crash [Re: duckear]
Jarvis Offline
Stranger

Quote:
So much for picking your place to crash.
Forced landing - not 'crash'. Very big difference.

#249621 - 08/09/12 03:37 AM Re: Cockpit video of plane crash [Re: Jarvis]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Jarvis

Quote:

Not being a pilot, I fail to see any distinction at all when it comes to this video. This was a crash, IMHO.

I thought the post-crash reactions interesting and telling. I can understand the dazed look of trying to comprehend what just happened. I can even understand the idea of trying to document the crash scene. What I can't understand was the lack of empathy and assistance for the pilot. The one camera operator looked like he was more interested in documenting the injuries to the pilot's face than giving him first aid!

#249624 - 08/09/12 05:35 AM Re: Cockpit video of plane crash [Re: Roarmeister]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: Jarvis

Quote:

Not being a pilot, I fail to see any distinction at all when it comes to this video. This was a crash, IMHO.

I thought the post-crash reactions interesting and telling. I can understand the dazed look of trying to comprehend what just happened. I can even understand the idea of trying to document the crash scene. What I can't understand was the lack of empathy and assistance for the pilot. The one camera operator looked like he was more interested in documenting the injuries to the pilot's face than giving him first aid!
Yeah, that sure looked like a reasonable approximation of a crash to me. I'm not a pilot either, but I've spent a fair bit of time in small aircraft, and I didn't get a sense these guys had their act together. And I agree, the lack of concern for their buddy didn't give me warm fuzzies either.

The older I get, the more particular I get about who I fly with. I want the chance to get even older!

#249633 - 08/09/12 01:23 PM Re: Cockpit video of plane crash [Re: duckear]
Jarvis Offline
Stranger

Quote:
I'm sorry, I wasn't being clear!

Post no.2 here links to a thread I had previously posted asking for comments about choices of where to make a forced landing - using the words "picking your place to crash".

There's a difference between a "crash" and a forced landing. In my thread was asking about places to make a forced landing, not about places to "crash".

Why is this important? Almost everyone who doesn't fly light aircraft wrongly believes that any in-flight emergency immediately results in the aircraft diving at increasing speed head-first towards the ground and is followed by an inevitable "crash". In truth, while it's not impossible for that to happen, it's not a common scenario. As someone who frequently uses light aircraft as a method of transportation I have had to do a considerable amount of difficult advocacy in that respect with people who are close to me, like my Mother-in-law.

I'm 100% sure that what Russ intended in Post no. 2 was just light-hearted, but I'm sensitive on the subject. I was attempting to take a responsible attitude to pre-flight planning and it undoes some of the education we pilots have to do for my MiL, or someone like her, to see it linked to by the words "picking your place to crash".

As far as the video goes, four big dudes in a plane with only four seats is certainly suspicious as far as overloading goes. But that's just speculation.

Edited by Jarvis (08/09/12 01:25 PM)

#249636 - 08/09/12 02:08 PM Re: Cockpit video of plane crash [Re: duckear]
Jarvis Offline
Stranger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.