The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#249550 - 08/07/12 04:18 PM So, a real knife could have saved a few lives
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Background story, Ex white supremacist leader and army veteran shot up a Sikh temple, 6 dead.

Quote:
His community under attack, Sikh Temple of Wisconsin president Satwant Singh Kaleka fought back with all his strength and a simple butter knife, trying to stab a murderous gunman before taking two fatal gunshots to the leg.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/08/07/sikh-temple-shootings-victims-heroes.html

Not sure how useful it would have been, but a real knife would work a lot better than a butter knife.

#249551 - 08/07/12 04:34 PM Re: So, a real knife could have saved a few lives [Re: jzmtl]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Being a Sikh, I'm surprised he didn't use a kirpan.

#249552 - 08/07/12 04:43 PM Re: So, a real knife could have saved a few lives [Re: jzmtl]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands

#249553 - 08/07/12 04:51 PM Re: So, a real knife could have saved a few lives [Re: Paul810]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: Paul810
Being a Sikh, I'm surprised he didn't use a kirpan.

There was some controversy regard Kirpan in Canada a while ago, what I gathered is apparently many of them are either not sharpened, or permanently fixed into the sheath.

#249555 - 08/07/12 06:30 PM Re: So, a real knife could have saved a few lives [Re: jzmtl]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will be ruled by those who don't.

#249557 - 08/07/12 07:16 PM Re: So, a real knife could have saved a few lives [Re: jzmtl]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
From what I gather, a lot of the Kirpans in the US are either too small to be a weapon, or have been de-weaponized (fixed in sheath and dulled) to comply with local laws. I don't know what he was carrying or if he was carrying. My very limited understanding of the religion is that only intiated (10%-15% of the Sikhs) are required to carry the 5 articles of faith.

I did pull the Oak Creek municipal code and there is a prohibition on carry concealed fixed blades over 3", but no mention of open carry.

http://www.oakcreekwi.org/documents/municipal-code/Chapter%2011%20Offenses%20and%20Nuisances.pdf

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#249560 - 08/07/12 08:13 PM Re: So, a real knife could have saved a few lives [Re: jzmtl]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Props for him for fighting back.

People still look at me funny for carrying a pocket knife, lighter, and flashlight sometimes.

#249561 - 08/07/12 08:30 PM Re: So, a real knife could have saved a few lives [Re: jzmtl]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Background story, Ex white supremacist leader and army veteran shot up a Sikh temple, 6 dead.

Quote:
His community under attack, Sikh Temple of Wisconsin president Satwant Singh Kaleka fought back with all his strength and a simple butter knife, trying to stab a murderous gunman before taking two fatal gunshots to the leg.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/08/07/sikh-temple-shootings-victims-heroes.html

Not sure how useful it would have been, but a real knife would work a lot better than a butter knife.

That's a good observation. The FBI is treating this case as act of domestic terrorism under the U.S. Patriot Act. I call it guerrilla warfare. A soldier going into war and trying to stab an enemy with a butter knife is like that solider is committing suicide.

#249628 - 08/09/12 08:08 AM Re: So, a real knife could have saved a few lives [Re: jzmtl]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
The Sikh bracelet makes a devastating knuckle duster that is always with you; a flip of the hand can make it rest round the top of the hand to strike with.
and "but officer I'm just wearing a bangle; you mean people actually use these as weapons?"

from Wikipedia:
Iron Fist Fighting, also known as Loh Mushti in Northern India (Punjab) is the traditional Sikh form of boxing. Instead of using gloves, the Sikhs would use their steel or iron bracelets, known as karas, which came in many sizes and forms including battle designs with sharp edges or spikes. Iron fist fighting can result in death.

qjs

#249631 - 08/09/12 01:07 PM Re: So, a real knife could have saved a few lives [Re: ireckon]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: ireckon

That's a good observation. The FBI is treating this case as act of domestic terrorism under the U.S. Patriot Act. I call it guerrilla warfare. A soldier going into war and trying to stab an enemy with a butter knife is like that solider is committing suicide.

From the same article on this tragic incident at the Sikh temple:

"Staring down the gunman Sunday morning, Kaleka managed to find the butter knife and tried to stab Page before being shot twice near the hip or upper leg, his son Amardeep Singh Kaleka said Monday.

His son said FBI agents hugged him Sunday, shook his hand and said, "Your dad's a hero."

"Whatever time he spent in that struggle gave the women time to get cover" in the kitchen, said Kaleka, whose mother was among more than a dozen women and children who took cover as Page forced his way into the temple. She dialed 911 while hiding."

Suicide doesn't come to mind for me. Hero. Protector. Selfless. Courageous. I'm not trying to misinterpret what you say ireckon, but the military analogy just comes across a little cold. The man acted heroically, most likely knowing he would suffer from it and face death as well.

I am not surprised he had nothing more than a butter knife to protect others. Its not my first instinct to expect folks to carry weapons for self-protection into a place of worship. In part that's probably why this cowardly attacker chose to effect his own suicide at this temple, its when men of peace gathered together are at their most vulnerable. Even after an event like this, men of peace do not necessarily have to arm up when worshiping. They can remain men of peace.

I honor this man for his courageous acts. And my condolences to everyone who suffers from this attack.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.