Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#249450 - 08/04/12 02:16 PM Re: what food do you eat on backpaking/camping trip? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

For a camping/trekking trip that has been planned it is usually quite easy to have eggs, bacon, sausage, black pudding, baked beans etc for breakfast if you have a couple of single burner stoves.

That looks good, except the black pudding would be a tough sell in my group.

#249471 - 08/05/12 04:15 AM Re: what food do you eat on backpaking/camping trip? [Re: picard120]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Camping is pretty much what I do for any backyard or beach bbq, noting that I would be storing food in ice chests or areas out of direct sunlight that I do not have to actually carry on me.

Backpacking i've kind of done it all and think that its dependent on the trip purpose, length and your age. Younger would have a case of beer and beef jerky for an overnight 10 miler. Then I found MRE's good but bulky and heavy. Switched to Mountain House (et al) and some are hit and miss but the most part are tasty and cover all meals.

The year after I decided to not carry the kitchen sink into the back country I went as Ultralight as i could and did a 10 day Yosemite trip with very boring but UL food and a white box stove. Took instant oatmeal packs, Starbucks via, dehydrated re-fried beans and minute rice. I did ziplock cooking with the beans and rice using a homemade Reflectix cozy. okay, I brought a liter of brandy too.

Now I have gone back to mountain house but depending on the speed of the adventure I may not cook it. I learned a tip from Adventure racing to add cold water to the meal bag, seal it up, shake it and wait an hour to eat. its cold but it works and it gets 600 calories in you tasting better than dehydrated beans and Uncle Bens. A lot better than gels and chews.

I also pack a couple payday candy bars for the harder days. They don't melt in extreme heat (trust me) and they have lots of fat, sugar and salt.

#249485 - 08/05/12 02:39 PM Re: what food do you eat on backpaking/camping trip? [Re: comms]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Some good tips here. I won't be doing any racing, but I can see an occasional benefit for me from the soaking technique you describe when I need to keep moving. I'm going to try it on my upcoming solo national forest trip. Water is readily availble and easily treated where I live. I have always brought my own food; oatmeal, ramen, tuna pouches, jerky, bannock mix, GORP, dry fruit, etc. but I might try a few Mountain House or Coleman freeze-dried entrees this time. I'm also eyeballing dried eggs and hot sauce.

#249488 - 08/05/12 03:55 PM Re: what food do you eat on backpaking/camping trip? [Re: comms]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: comms
Took instant oatmeal packs, Starbucks via, dehydrated re-fried beans and minute rice. I did ziplock cooking with the beans and rice using a homemade Reflectix cozy.

Agreed - I use mostly grocery store stuff; instant oatmeal, chili in a box, balance bars, gorp, tuna in a foil packet, beef jerky...remember your caffeine!

#249493 - 08/05/12 05:43 PM Re: what food do you eat on backpaking/camping trip? [Re: picard120]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

lots,and lots and lots!!

this is a lay out of just the dinners for a two week solo canoe trip in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness.
there is no place to resupply once your in unlike some of the big hiking trails that pass thru or close to towns.
in that heap are fourteen dinners.three MRE meat packs with a rice side for a big filler after a long day.three freeze dry meals for a quick meal,i use these if i pull into a campsite late or in bad weather and while the water boils for the meal the tent go's up.seven are rice sides with freeze dry chicken that has been repacked into meal sizes and one back up meal of wild rice,soup mix and pasta.other items are a Tang type orange drink,a pint of rum and cookies.
not in the photo is lunch which is crackers with tubes of jam and peanut butter with some sort of power bar and the breakfast below is dry egg with rice and dry tomato and bacon chips.the rice makes the egg more filling.

yes that's a heap of chow but canoe tripping means you can go like a trapper and not a hobo.my Prospector canoe will carry over 800 pounds with no problem if need be.i take two 45 pound packs.
the portages between lakes can be a grunt but the max is about 20 minutes per bag so your back on the water in no time.
some of the carry,s are better than others!

well not much about survival but there you are on the subject of what i eat while i'm out camping.

#249495 - 08/05/12 07:01 PM Re: what food do you eat on backpaking/camping trip? [Re: Teslinhiker]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

I never ate oatmeal. I am not trolling for inane questions.

#249499 - 08/05/12 07:54 PM Re: what food do you eat on backpaking/camping trip? [Re: picard120]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I don't really go backpacking anymore. But for our yearly car-camping "Old Men's Camping Trip":

Night one: Wines, exotic cheeses, fruits, salami, crackers, fondue (chicken, pork & beef), for desert: chocolate fondue dipped srawberries, bananas, etc.

Breakfast (all days except for the last day): Captain Crunch, milk, fruit, coffee

Lunch (all days): Sandwiches. Big "Dagwood's". Homemade breads, butcher shop high end lunchmeats, cheeses, lettuce, tomato, onion, horseradish sauce. Pringles potatoe chips. Beer. Chocolate chip cookies.

Night two: Tortilla chips, salsa for appetisers while we grill things. Jack Daniels and Coke. Grilled steaks or stuffed pork chops, grilled potato/onion mix, exotic salad greens with exotic vinegrette mix dressings, blueberry or peach cobbler (dutch oven).

Night three: Varies. Sometimes bratwurst, sometimes grilled fish. While our other meals are pretty much set in stone year after year, this one is the "surprise" meal. Beer. Wine. Jack Daniels. (Gotta finish all that stuff up - at home, none of us drink much!)

Last day breakfast: Huge scramble. Eggs, sausage, onions, green peppers, cheese, potatoes, salsa. Orange juice. Coffee.

I think we eat better (not "healthier", but "better"!) on these yearly campouts than at home!

#249504 - 08/05/12 11:45 PM Re: what food do you eat on backpaking/camping trip? [Re: picard120]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Heartig,you think just like us,nothing like a good clambake.In fact,your gourmet time is just what we do.

#249506 - 08/06/12 01:20 AM Re: what food do you eat on backpaking/camping trip? [Re: spuds]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Our Old Men's Campouts started about 30 years ago as a day trip canoing down a river. Then we decided to spend the night. Now we spend three nights. We don't do any more than we used to, it just takes us longer to do it. We canoe/kayak, mountain bike, hike, fish, ... trying to prove we're still young. But after all that "work" is complete, it's largely a bunch of naps thrown in between eating binges these days...

#250411 - 08/29/12 05:19 PM Re: what food do you eat on backpaking/camping trip? [Re: picard120]
Vogeler Offline

Originally Posted By: picard120
I never ate oatmeal. I am not trolling for inane questions.

Picard, oatmeal is a pretty simple, pretty lightweight meal, and its pretty nourishing. Some people don't like the texture. We eat ours with fruit, brown sugar, maple syrup, it just depends. You can make it with milk or water.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.