The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#249993 - 08/19/12 01:57 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
EDITed to add that the purse holds: main wallet, wipes, hard candies, small IFAK, multi-tool, maxi pads, bandana, mylar blanket, tampons, lip balm, floss, bic, prescription and OTC meds, gum, extra cash and coins, calling card, emerg contact info, emerg poncho, AAA LED flashlight, cheapo red led flasher, spiderco ladybug, psk, garbage bag, pocket'pack of kleenex, pen, pencil, purelle, extra AAA batteries(3}.

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
PREGGO PREPPER'S COMMUTER EDC

In a backpack I put: copies of my medical paper trail, my wallet and edc keyring, lip balm, my edc purse, a full 2l Nalgene, some snacks and sour candies (GREAT for nausea!), a jacket (with mitts and socks in pockets), a hat, a magazine, leather man wave, edc pocket organizer tool kit, headlamp, sunglasses, prescription glasses in hard case, wallet with extra cash. The bag was heavy enough with the full water bottle. (There's a few snacks missing , as well as the two bottles of juice I drank while waiting. And waiting. And waiting.... :-)

EDC backpack: http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h35 ... 730771.jpg

EDC PSK Purse: http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h35 ... 188855.jpg

Interestingly, just as I pulled into the transit parking lot to head to the hospital, I realized that the parking machine doesn't take paper money. I went and got change so I could park and then my cel phone decided that it didn't want to live anymore. No problem, I thought, I've got a quarter for a pay phone. I had no idea that it would take 50 cents to make my call. More quarters, loonies and toonies next time.

EDIT: In addition to more coins and a change of underwear (ultrasound gel sucks!), I'll probably throw in a lined fleece or something instead of the jacket next time. The hospitals can get a little cool sometimes, and it looks like I've got 2 emerg ponchos should an unexpected rain appear. (We all dress for the weather, right?) I also need to wear better foot ware next time as well. My ortho sandles are comfy but not if I had to walk any distance if it was raining. I could also ditch my leatherman, since I've got my Gerber recoil and a couple of folders. I threw it in out of habit bit cutting weight in the pack will help as I gain it in my body.

P.S. - they grey blob in the purse pic is an Altoids tin psk. :-) and the edc pocket organizer is this one: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=17333&Number=243634#Post243634

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#249994 - 08/19/12 03:26 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Black goes with everything I wear laugh.

Seriously, nobody knows your circumstances and environment better than you. Almost all preppers are better off avoiding the tactical rainbow (black, OD, coyote brown, flat dark earth, any camo) for something high visibility for the wilderness or that looks like it came out of an office for urban scenarios. Do you need to stand out or blend in?

#249995 - 08/19/12 11:16 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I am no expert in packs , so I cannot recommend any particular model or brand. But here is something to consider.

Weight and dimensions are critical in your situation. Comfort is a priority. Extra padding goes without saying. Not only it is essentail for carrying the pack comfortably, it may help you improvise a cushion/pillow if you need extra rest while waiting or travelling in the bus/metro.

Color ? Well, like others said : you know your situation better than any of us. In my neck of the woods, only Camo is seen as "tactical", while coyote brown is seen as CAMPING stuff, and black (luggage color) is seen as neutral color with no meaning (but considered elegant in the female fashion world) !!

It is different from area to area.
And you know your area better.

#249996 - 08/19/12 12:16 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
While i'm on the fence about the pack colour, I agree that comfort is key! The bigger i get the more important it's going to be and I too am thinking of the possibility of having to crash in the hospital corridor or waiting room. The padding on this oack is nice and comfy. Maybe I'll stick with it.

Black seems like it could be viewed either way. During the G20 riots a couple of years ago, black gear seemed to trigger a negative police response but a pink pack could also screem "please mug me!" Maybe I'll get a Scouts Canada one as a compromise.

One of the things I'm thinking about is protection. Walking alone at night is a real possibility and a pregnant woman would make a pretty good target I think. I'm going to add a collapsable walking stick. Not only will it help with my balance and navigating slipper ground, it's an added piece of protective equipment.

I'm going to get a small am/fm radio as well, so I can get the news if my phone fails. Speaking of which, a battery powered phone charger is on my shopping list as well.

I've also added a tourist map of the city that includes all transit routes, taxi numbers and local hotels. Enough cash for a night in a hotel is going in my wallet too. I don't know anyone who lives in the city anymore and might need somewhere to stay if snow should hit in a few months.

Edited by bacpacjac (08/19/12 12:20 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#249998 - 08/19/12 01:55 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
BPJ - I have assisted police several times with large scale security and riot control. (The G8 summit for example) and from my experiences I can tell you this.

No one gives a sweet damn what type or colour your backpack is. It's an individuals actions that draw attention, not their choice of backpack.

Look around, depending on which part of ontario you are in you would be the odd one out if you didn't have a black/hunter camo pack...or shirt...or pants.

Thinking you will be sticking out because of a black bag on your back is survival forum paranoia. And no offence, but a middle aged pregnant woman is going to stick out slightly in a croud and it will not be because of your pack. It could be black, pink or with glowing lights and a large sponge bob mural across it.

If you are in the market for a possible upgrade, check out the blackhawk 3 day assault pack. The name is cooler than it sounds. Its just a bacic pack but built super strong. It only comes in green, tan and black (maybe digi-cam now) and can be had for under 100 bones.

It looks like a school bag really.

#250025 - 08/20/12 04:26 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: Stephen]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Stephen
Thinking you will be sticking out because of a black bag on your back is survival forum paranoia. And no offence, but a middle aged pregnant woman is going to stick out slightly in a crowd and it will not be because of your pack. It could be black, pink or with glowing lights and a large sponge bob mural across it.

It looks like a school bag really.

Second the pregnant women comment, but I want to qualify the backpack comment. IMHO, stuff that is overtly "tactical", i.e. digicam, covered with molle loops, etc. tends to stand out.

FWIW, the diaper backpack I'm getting for my little ones is red with a reflective stripe. The idea is visiblity to prevent getting turned into bumper meat by an inattentive motorist. Also, sternum straps are worth their weight in gold.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#250035 - 08/20/12 01:07 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What counts in any pack is fit to the individual, and, especially in BPJ's case, adjustibility. Is a significantly heavy backpack even a good idea in the third trimester? A a non-uterine members of the species, I honestly haven't a clue.

As an example of the adjustability issue, for Mark, "sternum straps are worth their weight in gold." For me, they are useless impediments and worthless (usually).

I would look to any number of civilian brands rather than the LE/military lines like Maxpedition, which are durable and tough, but nowhere as sophisticated as their domestic counterpart.

#250092 - 08/21/12 02:21 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
BPJ,

I am no expert on your situation as I also am a member of the non-uterine club. However, in regards to the backpack Jac (small pun), maybe switching to a messenger bag is worth considering while doing you urban jaunts. It could be a big more manageable in terms of load-bearing. Just a thought.

I am glad to hear things are progressing well for you.

My $.02

#250226 - 08/25/12 09:36 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
I've also added a tourist map of the city that includes all transit routes, taxi numbers and local hotels. Enough cash for a night in a hotel is going in my wallet too. I don't know anyone who lives in the city anymore and might need somewhere to stay if snow should hit in a few months.

1 - I suggest you share these plans with your husband even if he doesn't accompany you in these trips. If something bad happens ( like snow ) he will know which hotel you will be heading to. During a snow storm , communications maybe off and you may not be able to contact him.

2- You can also save maps as images in your cell phone. It's convenient and good backup. But paper maps should be there too ( one copy for your husband too).

3 - You don't know anyone in the city , but you can start to know someone. Maybe a cap driver, a nurse in the hospital, anyone who is likely to offer help for money or free.

#250227 - 08/25/12 11:21 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: Chisel]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Chisel
2- You can also save maps as images in your cell phone. It's convenient and good backup. But paper maps should be there too ( one copy for your husband too).

+1. If you have an Apple or Android phone you can also save maps for offline use now. With the maps saved to memory the smartphone doesn't rely on the network for map data and functions like a standalone GPS unit. You can save a pretty fair size chunk of real estate to memory that way.

Snapping a picture of anything from a map to a shopping list has been a quick, easy way to take information along ever since cell phone camera resolution jumped into the megapixels.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 241 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.