The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#249950 - 08/17/12 08:08 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Maybe I have missed it , but here is a few suggestions:

- Homemade "info card" for you, including blood type , numbers to call in case of emergency ..etc. AND your doctor's name and ###

- Cash in small bills
- Fresh twelettes (if they won't cause nausea)

Also, if I understand correctly , you are driving to Toronto, or part of the way at least. So you have a car within a few miles(kilometers) from the clinic. In that case, look into beefing up the kit in your car trunk. Add a sleeping bag and/or blanket and other comfort items. If an emergency happens in the city, you may manage to reach the car but maybe too exhausted to start driving back home and may decide to rest for a while.

IIRC, someone here in ETS has posted a picture of his wife and newly born baby and I wrote that women really deserve more respedct for what they go throw . They are better survivors than men , and they go thru hard times to create fresh generations that make the world go on.

Best wishes

#249958 - 08/17/12 06:59 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: ]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Also, if you have business cards showing who you are or where you work like ( software development engineer , IBM ) , it is a good idea to distribute a few in your wallet, purse, backpack , and a couple in your car's glove compartment.

Such cards are good to be on you , and not too bad if lost or stolen.

Also, double check your communication options.
For example, what if your cell phone is lost, stolen, broken ??
I do have another older cell phone that I take on critical trips.

#249961 - 08/17/12 09:22 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: Chisel]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
My wife had been seeing a "high risk" doctor for the last two pregnancies. She got a little miffed when she found out the "AMA" on her chart stood for "Advanced Maternal Age".

Could be worse - in Ham Radio lingo, just beeing married makes her an "XYL" (eX Young Lady).

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#249963 - 08/17/12 09:51 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: thseng]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Sorry, off topic, but couldn't resist :

Quote:
"Never trust an engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

We had two engineers who visited us time to time. One had ONLY a multitool in his keychain. It was the only tool he used. The other had a large wheeled tool bag that he could hide a corpse in.

I have always wished them to visit us same day, and I would photograph them side by side. LOL

#249968 - 08/18/12 12:30 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Maybe I have missed it , but here is a few suggestions:

- Homemade "info card" for you, including blood type , numbers to call in case of emergency ..etc. AND your doctor's name and ###

- Cash in small bills
- Fresh twelettes (if they won't cause nausea)

Also, if I understand correctly , you are driving to Toronto, or part of the way at least. So you have a car within a few miles(kilometers) from the clinic. In that case, look into beefing up the kit in your car trunk. Add a sleeping bag and/or blanket and other comfort items. If an emergency happens in the city, you may manage to reach the car but maybe too exhausted to start driving back home and may decide to rest for a while.

IIRC, someone here in ETS has posted a picture of his wife and newly born baby and I wrote that women really deserve more respedct for what they go throw . They are better survivors than men , and they go thru hard times to create fresh generations that make the world go on.

Best wishes

Great suggestions, Chisel! thanks! All are already implemented but this is a good reminder. My Jeep fully loaded and that's part of my challenge adjusting to this commute and using public transit to do it. it's become like a security blanket for me and I'm parking it too far to comfortably expect to walk to should something go wrong. (It's at least a 30 minute subway ride from the hospital to the TTC parking lot. At any other time, I'd say no problem, but the more pregnant I get, the longer it's going to take.) I could just bite the bullet and drive and park downtown but that would get too expensive in very short order.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#249969 - 08/18/12 12:32 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

Ah! Good idea. It's the obvious stuff that seems to be overlooked sometimes.

Perhaps also looking into hospitals which are along her commuting route as well? Make sure she knows where they are and how to get there, etc?

As they say (Whoever they are, I guess) "always have a way out."

Great suggestions, Izzy. I've already done this for the commute to and from work but really need to do the same for this Toronto trip. Thanks!

#249971 - 08/18/12 12:35 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Also, if you have business cards showing who you are or where you work like ( software development engineer , IBM ) , it is a good idea to distribute a few in your wallet, purse, backpack , and a couple in your car's glove compartment.

Such cards are good to be on you , and not too bad if lost or stolen.

Also, double check your communication options.
For example, what if your cell phone is lost, stolen, broken ??
I do have another older cell phone that I take on critical trips.

Great ideas, Chisel! My cell phone did die on this first trip. I keep a calling card in my wallet and had some quarters for a pay phone but an other back-up' and new phone, are in order. Thanks!

EDIT: I may take my tablet with me on future trips as well. Wifi is becoming more and prevalent, even in our little town. It may allow email in an emergency, and it'll be good entertainment for those long stays in the waiting room.

Edited by bacpacjac (08/18/12 05:31 PM)

#249972 - 08/18/12 12:38 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: thseng]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: thseng
My wife had been seeing a "high risk" doctor for the last two pregnancies. She got a little miffed when she found out the "AMA" on her chart stood for "Advanced Maternal Age".

Could be worse - in Ham Radio lingo, just beeing married makes her an "XYL" (eX Young Lady).

I hate the AMA label too!! I prefer to think if myself well seasoned!

#249980 - 08/18/12 05:17 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

i just had a DUH! moment. I'm swapping my Gerber Recoil for my LM Wave in my purse. I've stopped wearing a belt so have also stopped wearing my WAVE. Like the Recoil (my first multi-tool) but I LOVE the Wave.

EDIT: It's getting colder at night here so I added a wool watch cap as well!

Edited by bacpacjac (08/18/12 07:04 PM)

#249990 - 08/19/12 12:34 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ok, braintrust, I need some advice.

The black Kodiak backpack is actually my son's school backpack from last year. It's almost brand new and he's not expecting a new one this year but one of us needs a new one. I'm thinking of going for a more colourful, a.k.a. less tactical looking, pack. What do you think?

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.