Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#249467 - 08/04/12 10:11 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Nice to see a distinctly 'feminine' thread on here! And congratulations!

I don't really have any good advice as I was pathetically unprepared during my pregnancy nearly 6 years ago!

Maybe make sure your first aid kit has anything that you might need in the event you have to deliver the baby NOT in a hospital?? I hope not, of course, but you know being prepared means considering the worst possible scenarios and planning for them! smile

Take care of yourself!

And don't forget a pacifier! smile

~Marion C. Garretty

#249514 - 08/06/12 03:08 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Late to the rodeo as usual ... first, grats to you and the rest of the family on the new addition.

Second, I will refer you to nursemike's warning about advice from a well meaning soul with no uterus, more of which is to follow laugh . So here goes:

Add some saltine crackers to your food stores, they can help with the nausea and provide a needed food energy boost. For that matter, DW swore by plain salted potato chips for nausea when she was pregnant with DS. Any salty snack can help, so pick your favorite, but keep in mind this trick may not work for all the ladies so YMMV. You might also add something in there to help give you an energy boost as long as it is safe for the baby. I was thinking maybe some caffeine gum or mints but these may not be safe for the little one. The boost meal supplement or other food may well do the same thing anyway with no worries for the baby.

While it is good to be prepared for the possible bug out (or get home) scenario if needed, I would try to focus these plans on simply getting to the closest safe place to continue bugging in. I guess this is the obvious goal of any bug out plan, but my point here is that you don't want to be bugging out on foot 7 months pregnant with a 50 pound pack on your back. I did notice you plan to trim down the pack weight as the pregnancy progresses, but this all brings me to a final point.

Finally, keep your plans reasonable and within your limitations. As much as you may want to believe you could travel X miles with a Y pound pack on foot if you had to, you may very well find yourself unable to go half the distance with half the weight. You might be MUCH better off planning to make your current transportation more dependable, parking in areas where your vehicle will be less susceptible to damage, or planning for alternate transportation over the distance(s) you might expect to have to travel. In the event you have to travel on foot, I would think it is best to keep the distance you have to travel as short as possible, for your sake and the baby’s sake. Instead of a GHB getting you home, it might be better to get to the hospital, or to a family member’s or friend’s house that is close by.

#249525 - 08/06/12 07:27 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: Mark_F]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Back in the 60s, I was doing archaeology at Fort Bowte National Historic Site, associated with the Apache Wars of the late 19th century. I read the following account, but I can no longer find the source - it may be the memoirs of Lt. Emmet Crawford.

As Geronimo's band (about thirty or so individuals, including noncombatants) was returning from Mexico for their final surrender, a woman veered from the group, headed for a distant grove of trees. The Americans asked basically, "What's up? - the response was "Just Wait - You'll See." So they continued on, and forty-five minutes or so later, the woman in question caught up with them, carrying her newborn.

I believe this in a true story, although none of the quoted sources were uterus endowed.

Our ancestors were incredibly tough, and clearly the Apache were real mothers.

Oh, yes, congratulations!

Edited by hikermor (08/06/12 07:27 PM)

#249578 - 08/08/12 02:29 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks so much gang!

One of the things we have going for us is that the local hospital is only a couple of blocks away from us. An emerg child birth class is a good idea, nonetheless!

Bugging in remains at the top of our In Case of Emergency list but all those other contingency plans need to be revisited and revamped too!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#249585 - 08/08/12 05:16 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: chaosmagnet]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Also....look into Cord Blood Bank storage.

Do your research. Some believe that it's better to let the cord blood go into the baby.

Do some more research. wink Cord blood comes from the placenta, not the baby.

#249586 - 08/08/12 05:36 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: MDinana]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Do some more research. wink Cord blood comes from the placenta, not the baby.

I'm aware of that. I take no position on the matter of whether it's better to bank the cord blood or to let as much of it as possible go into the baby before cutting the cord. The only point I intended to make is that there are people who feel strongly about it.

#249601 - 08/08/12 08:30 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Congratulations Bacpacjac

And congrats to ETS.
Another prepper is expected.

#249647 - 08/09/12 05:12 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: Chisel]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Congratulations!

On a sorta gear related note, my wife is 'specting and she tried sleeping with a self-inflating "base-camp" size camping mattress on top of the bed last night.

She seemd to think it helped allieviate some poor circulation caused by pressure-points as she slept on her side.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#249699 - 08/10/12 11:40 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Congratulations!!! I'd say a constant supply of haupia will do you good!

BING!!!! Haupia is no officially on my group of cravings not that the morning sickness is under control and my appetite is raging. Thanks!

#249700 - 08/10/12 11:42 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: thseng]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: thseng
Congratulations!

On a sorta gear related note, my wife is 'specting and she tried sleeping with a self-inflating "base-camp" size camping mattress on top of the bed last night.

She seemd to think it helped allieviate some poor circulation caused by pressure-points as she slept on her side.

We're taking our Cub Scouts to Cuboree in September and I will be bringing one of those air matresses. When I was 8 months pregnant with my son, I went on a three day trip with my thermarest and that no-sleep lesson is seared into my memory. LOL!

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 286 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.