The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#223716 - 05/16/11 05:11 PM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
My EDC is a PICO Light from EGear. Designed by some guy named Doug (I can't read the rest from my 10 or 15 of them ;-) For a headlamp (EDC carry) I have several EQ2, also from EGear. Those of Doug's design are better than the standard one, but both are great for those times you did not think you needed a light.

I have larger headlamps in my gear for outdoor use and in the bags in cars and at home.

The best,

Jerry

#223926 - 05/20/11 01:07 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I quit EDC headlamps one buggy night. Now I use a small conventional flashlight with a head band. OK if no bugs and easier to carry and use when there are bugs.

A bug in the eye is not fun.

Nomad

#224124 - 05/23/11 02:33 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Nomad, interesting point. I use headlamps over flashlights, (I EDC a LED minimag also)but when I am in high dust areas, like inside the Grand Canyon at night, I drop the headlamp to my sternum strap or hold in my hand. When dust kicks up, the light coming right over my eyes catches all the particles and makes it hard to see thru. Bugs would do the same as you point out.

#224749 - 05/31/11 12:28 PM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

The equipped to survive main page used to sell one like this, which I purchased, and now they are available from many places:
Small headlamp

This is small enough for EDC, even in a suit, and the batteries are small and light as well. I like the yellow one that used to be sold on the equipped web site, easier to find in the dark.

#249343 - 08/01/12 05:52 PM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm adding headlamps to my toolkit and car kits. Probably $10 Energizer ones from Target - Nothin' fancy.

#249373 - 08/02/12 12:07 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
Eastree Offline
Journeyman

I have three headlamps and two very reliable small flashlights that I keep either with me or nearby at all times. It's common for my job to lose power in a storm, or sometimes even high winds. Emergency lights at the perimeter of the walls aren't nearly enough. Having my own light works a lot better.

I've bought all my head lamps on the cheap, so they're not light cannons, nor are the headbands the best. But they do. My last two were purchased at a home improvement store for under $5 for the pair.

#249379 - 08/02/12 02:50 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Mostly Harmless: interesting replacement headband idea for the Zebra Light. A few questions come to mind. Are you using a straight or angle head light? Are you using the cord lock to form a loop to hold the light and then tie the shoelace around you head? Or is it vice-versa? What kind of knot do you use and for which purpose? What length and width lace do you use? Do you mount the light at the side of your head or in front, on your forehead? I have the straight Zebra SC51. I'd like try your method out. Thanx in advance.

#249446 - 08/04/12 02:21 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
Diosces Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I EDC a Petzl Tikka 2. It's actually a tool in my EDC bag that I use quite frequently when doing inspections, troubleshooting of HVAC systems at our med centers.

Works much better than a flashlight when looking above ceiling and in air handling equipment.

#249477 - 08/05/12 07:59 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: TeacherRO]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
I have a zebra light as edc. A very handy little light,excellent floodlight with 3 settings of light strength.

#249692 - 08/10/12 10:06 AM Re: Anyone EDC a headlamp? [Re: acropolis5]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: acropolis5
Mostly Harmless: interesting replacement headband idea for the Zebra Light. A few questions come to mind. Are you using a straight or angle head light? Are you using the cord lock to form a loop to hold the light and then tie the shoelace around you head? Or is it vice-versa? What kind of knot do you use and for which purpose? What length and width lace do you use? Do you mount the light at the side of your head or in front, on your forehead? I have the straight Zebra SC51. I'd like try your method out. Thanx in advance.

Sorry for the late reply.

I have some kind of clip clamped onto the light itself. The shoe lace is held in place by that clamp. I use the cord lock to regulate the size of the loop around my neck, and if I want to use it as a headlamp I just put the loop around my head and tighten the coord loop. The only knot is a overhand knot to stop the shoe lace from sliding out of the cord lock.

Zebralight H51 are angled lights, yes, and the ligtht goes to the front of my forehead when used as a headlamp.

Note that you want a wide flooded light for a neck light or a flimsy headlamp setup (which it is). With a floody beam it really doesn't matter because you have light everywhere no matter how the light dangles around. A narrow beam will dance around in rather psychedelic patterns basically everywhere except where you need it.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.