Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#248945 - 07/23/12 10:44 PM Re: what are your thoughts on re-charging? [Re: ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Izzy... if you can get your hands on a Guide10 pack to look at, I think you'll like its construction...YMMV

Interesting. Goal Zero? I wasn't aware of this company until I googled it after you mentioned Guide 10. Interesting stuff. The Guide 10 essentially is brick for brick the same as my original layout before my Tekkeon TekCharge broke. Almost identical.

I might have to get one of these soon.

I was looking at the Goal Zero Guide10 (not that I would purchase it) but it seems to only accept a mini and NOT a micro usb cable? For those of us with micro USB phones or other devices, looks like this would not work?

John Lubbock

#248958 - 07/24/12 12:54 AM Re: what are your thoughts on re-charging? [Re: freeballer]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
The miniB connection is for using it as a battery charger from AC or 12V sources. Connecting it to the solar panel has a separate wire. USB A to mini B cables were the standard smaller format connector until the last few years. I don't understand why they didn't keep it as the standard. It appears to be a more robust connector IMO.

#248962 - 07/24/12 01:40 AM Re: what are your thoughts on re-charging? [Re: freeballer]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I wonder how completely independent the OP expects to be?

If there is any sort of vehicle (or even riding lawn mower), there is a 12VDC source available. A plug-in USB converter (lighter socket) and a compatible USB cable, at maybe $10-15 for the pair, would keep all sorts of USB-chargeable items going for a long, long time.

My two cents'.

#248966 - 07/24/12 02:40 AM Re: what are your thoughts on re-charging? [Re: freeballer]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
^ That is my thought completely. My tiny USB charger (DIY) assumes the source voltage is 6-30VDC. There is no way I would use my AAs (say) to charge electronic gizmos with built-in batteries, not when all my more important (depending...) devices use the AAs (and one uses AAAs). I carry any one of my myriad of RC battery packs for the charge source if I don't expect to be near a car etc. for a while.

My experience with USB chargers with built-in LiPo batteries is they're not very reliable. And expensive if they have a substantial battery, luckily not my $$. Typically one cell goes bad, good luck replacing a cell the way they package them (won't work with a single bad cell), I have loads of extracted good cells already, but not much use for anything *safe*. They tend to use really cheap LiPos, and anybody who uses LiPos for other stuff knows this could be a very bad scene, quality of cell is critically important. Not the same thing as lithium-ion.

#248967 - 07/24/12 02:42 AM Re: what are your thoughts on re-charging? [Re: freeballer]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Izzy... as UT commented, the out connection is USB...mine came with a USB to miniUSB cable... a USB to microUSB cable is about $5...

UFAlumnus

#249004 - 07/25/12 12:34 AM Re: what are your thoughts on re-charging? [Re: freeballer]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
A review I did earlier elsewhere.....Still love it and bought in 2008 for 109 dollars but now they have the fold-able cell,if its same quality I would recommend it,Brunton is good quality.
=====================================================

I bought the Brunton because its tip top quality.

I put my little solar charger out and it fits the cell phone and I charged it up.Now Ive got 4 AA batts being charged. They are 2500 ma/hr batts,thats a big amt. of power.The charger puts out 500 ma/hr,so its 5 hours per battery,should take 2-4 days to charge them but thats OK,as I say those are high capacity batteries.

Also I can plug in the VW solar panels,they are 3.2 watts and as cheap as 25-50 dollars on ebay(3.2 or 5 watt),into the Brunton charger.To increase capacity.The Brunton (110-140 dollars) is 4.4 watts,can handle about 14 watts total with the extra panels,has a 12 volt automobile type socket to plug in more panels.So someday,when the money starts coming in again I will get me 2-3 of those VW panels.

------------------

The innovative SolarPort 4.4 offers an energy alternative to keep your cell phone running, your GPS tracking and your digital camera recording images. SolarPort 4.4 allows you to charge electronics via USB, and its durability is unprecedented. Take advantage our cable-free 12 volt connection in the hinge, and link up to three units together to increase power output. Lightweight but sturdy, our SolarPort 4.4 watts could mean the difference between a life saving phone call or a dead battery. Use the included Batt-Jack Rapid Charger to juice-up your AA and AAA rechargeable batteries away from home.

Features: Brunton SolarPort 4.4

* Dimensions: 9.3" x 6" x 1.5"
* Weight: 19 oz.
* Max output: 4.4 watts (265mA @ 12V position and 530mA @ 6V position)
* Includes BattJack AA/AAA battery charger
* Polycrystalline solar panel construction
* Reverse flow protection
* 6V / 12V depending upon the position of the voltage selection switch
* USB output (5V 500mA) · Vehicle outlet in the hinge
* 20" extendable power cable with an exchangeable adapter plug in hinge
* Link up to three units together for even more output
* Designed for small electronics like PDAs, GPS units, cell phones and digital cameras

BattJack
AC & DC source battery charger

by Brunton (BATTJACK)

The BattJack is the answer to packing even lighter, yet still stowing all the power your high tech toys require.

The BattJack is a smart charger that works hand-in-hand with the SolarPort 4.4 to recharge your 'AA' or 'AAA' NiMH and NiCad batteries. This unit can also be utilized at home with AC wall transformer (included) or in a vehicle with 12V DC cable (included).
-------------------------------------------------

VW solar panels from ebay...

The specifications are:

Max Power 5W

Voltage At Max Power 18.8V

Current At Max Power 275mA

Electrical Ratings at 1000W/m2, AM 1.5 cell temp 25c

.................... :-/ smile
===================================
I just went out and the red lights were flashing every 5 seconds meaning full charge.Had 4 2500 ma batteries that I completely ran down to check charging.Think I put them in 2 days ago,on the 20th,today is the 22nd at 1 pm.

Edited by spuds (07/25/12 12:38 AM)

#249104 - 07/27/12 11:33 PM Re: what are your thoughts on re-charging? [Re: freeballer]
freeballer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: nb, Canada
I'm kind of liking the goal zero because they can be hitched to your backpack, car, dash... Alot of my devices use usb to charge too, so If I can fit one into my bob I'm all for this idea. It can't hurt to pick up a battery pack, I'm checking a few sites and reviews, but I definitely like the ones suggested over the puny ones locally.

Thank you all smile
Geo

#249142 - 07/28/12 09:54 PM Re: what are your thoughts on re-charging? [Re: freeballer]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

I met some folks from France here doing a one year camping tour and all they had was the super cheapy type recharger and it was working,so even if you only have a very limited budget,any thing is better than nothing I guess.

Something along this line is only 20 bucks and it will charge so its within most anyones reach.

http://theepicenter.com/solar_panels_and_chargers.html

#249208 - 07/30/12 04:38 AM Re: what are your thoughts on re-charging? [Re: freeballer]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Im big on solar,small systems are so cheap to build and Craigslist is your friend for sure.Built a truck system with about 320 watts of panels,divided into 2 separate systems with 2 agm 8d batteries each for just over 3 dollars a watt using used stuff.And in panels the old panels are better than the new.IMO.SUPER build quality.

I now have a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter that can run anything continous to 1600 watts.That cost about 350 bucks

At the house I have a small setup on panels that keeps 8 agms charged,when power goes out got a day or 2 of powering house on those alone.A Honda EU 2000I backup.

If grid down I have 2500 watts on panels I would deploy,though havent yet as my site is solar poor,but no grid,up they would go.

I dont plan on ever losing electric for any reason short of civil war scenario type stuff.

My solar truck off grid power system over at Solar Garys site......
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/TruckPV/TruckPV.htm

Edited by spuds (07/30/12 04:48 AM)

#249233 - 07/30/12 09:32 PM Re: what are your thoughts on re-charging? [Re: freeballer]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Thats a nice solar setup on your truck, Spuds. With all wattage from the panels on the truck, what else are you powering besides the duck lamp?

I am just getting into the solar/alternate energy arena for both home and extended base camp setups and always looking for ideas and hints?

John Lubbock

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.