Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#249247 - 07/31/12 12:11 AM what critical ropes knots often used outdoors ?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

what critical ropes knots often used outdoors ? There are so many rope knots that I can't recall of them.

Can someone list some of most important that can save lives?

#249248 - 07/31/12 12:31 AM Re: what critical ropes knots often used outdoors ? [Re: picard120]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Bowline, with the variation of bowline on a bight. Non slip knot, can be used to raise/lower a person.

Clove hitch, used for tying things up, as in bundles, a tent line to a tree. Variation is clove hitch with quick release.

Square knot, used to join two like ropes together.

Taut line hitch, used on tents as you can release or add tension w/o retying the knot.

Overhand knot. The most simple.

I'd call these the big 5.

#249254 - 07/31/12 02:22 AM Re: what critical ropes knots often used outdoors ? [Re: picard120]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
you might get a Special Forces or Ranger to show you how to tie a Swiss seat from a section of kernmantle, for emergency rappelling

Edited by LesSnyder (07/31/12 12:29 PM)

#249256 - 07/31/12 02:47 AM Re: what critical ropes knots often used outdoors ? [Re: picard120]
lordnoble Offline

Loc: Upstate NY, USA
I second the taut line hitch. I just got home today from camping with my family and I used taut line hitch, guy line hitch, overhand knot, clove hitch, square lashing, and I attempted a rolling hitch (didn't work, though).

-Jason

#249259 - 07/31/12 03:33 AM Re: what critical ropes knots often used outdoors ? [Re: lordnoble]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The bowline knot is the classic climbing knot and it indeed is highly useful, but even better, and now more common in use by climbers, is the figure 8 and a closely allied knot, the "figure 9."

The clove hitch is an extraordinarily useful and versatile knot. Very easy to learn and apply.

The square knot is way overrated. It is best employed to tie shoelaces and nothing more critical. The fisherman's knot (or triple fishermans) is much more secure for joining two ropes; the water knot is good for joining webbing.

For climbers, the prussik (or several similar) is well worth knowing. It is very closely related to the taut line hitch

One reason there are so many knots is that different activities require different means of joining and manipulating rope. There are considerable differences between what is employed in climbing compared with boating. So, what specific use are you considering? That determines the knots you should learn.

By learning, I mean the ability to tie the knot in a dark shower with your eyes closed and the cold water running full. It is better to learn a few knots well than a whole bunch half way.

If you are tying knots for any serious purpose, they should be backed up - typically with two half hitches.

#249264 - 07/31/12 06:18 AM Re: what critical ropes knots often used outdoors ? [Re: JBMat]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: JBMat

Very dangerous to use a square knot as a bend. A square knot is a binding knot only.

#249265 - 07/31/12 06:47 AM Re: what critical ropes knots often used outdoors ? [Re: haertig]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
My basic essentials would be:

Round Turn and Two Half Hitches
Figure Eight
Hunters Bend or Zeppelin Bend (closely related)
Bowline
Constrictor Knot
Tautline Hitch
Square Knot

Other very handy knots:

Ashley's Stopper Knot
Double Fisherman's Bend
Angler's Loop
Alpine Butterfly
Ground Line Hitch
Simple Simon (under)

If you end up stuck with that ultra cheap super-hard, tough-to-bend three-strand-twisted slippery nylon junk rope, in order to get a knot to hold you need something more obscure like:

Vice Versa
Surgeon's Knot

#249267 - 07/31/12 12:57 PM Re: what critical ropes knots often used outdoors ? [Re: JBMat]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JBMat
Bowline, with the variation of bowline on a bight. Non slip knot, can be used to raise/lower a person.

Clove hitch, used for tying things up, as in bundles, a tent line to a tree. Variation is clove hitch with quick release.

Taut line hitch, used on tents as you can release or add tension w/o retying the knot.

Overhand knot. The most simple.

I'd call these the big 5.

I with all of these but would add the round turn with two half hitches. As an Infantry and Special Forces veteran, and a Scout Master, if you learn 4 or 5 of the most useful knots and learn to tie them in the dark when it is raining cats and dogs, then you will be able to get through most things.

#249274 - 07/31/12 02:32 PM Re: what critical ropes knots often used outdoors ? [Re: picard120]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Doing similar research for another project -- Found the two worst knots: Square and the shoelace knot. Both pretty awful for what they do.

#249280 - 07/31/12 03:42 PM Re: what critical ropes knots often used outdoors ? [Re: picard120]
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
One of the Eagle Scouts from my sons' troupe went on to college and then the US Army. He went to Iraq with his unit. When unpacking and setting up their tents they found that ALL of the little metal guy line tensioner plates (or whatever they are called) were missing. For the entire unit.

Not one person knew what to do. Except him. He showed them how to use the taught line hitch. He was quite the hero!

Craig T.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.