The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#249244 - 07/30/12 11:19 PM Preggo Prepper
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm not sure which forum this fits best in so, more, move away if you feel it's appropriate.

I've gone on a few camping trips with my son and our Scout group this summer, and was really looking forward to our 5 day trip to Georgian Bay this week. I didn't end up going on that trip after all because, as it turns out, I was pregnant during those earlier trips. They say that hindsight is 20/20 so, thought I'd start a thread on the the impact pregnancy is having on our preparedness mindset. Believe me, it's definitely having an impact.

Our last trip was mid-June, and I didn't yet know that I was pregnant. I was sick during the week leading up to the trip, but thought it was the stomach flu. I was a little concerned about the heat and the strain of canoe-tripping, but decided to press on, extra fluids in tow. The kids had a good time but it was not a fun trip for me. Not yet as big as a house, I managed to haul our gear and canoe, and do all the normal camp tasks, but I spent half the weekend throwing up and the other half wanting only to sleep while trying not to throw up. It wasn't pretty.

For the time being, I'm hanging up my hiking boots and concentrating on my health and getting ready for the new little one. Our son just turned 9 and my memory is a little foggy about the pregnancy days of the past. Not to mention that I wasn't a prepper back then. (That didn't happen until I was caught unprepared with a 1 month old during the East Coast Blackout of 2003.) My mind is spinning thinking about the physical realities of dealing with an emergency situation while pregnant and eventually, shiver, with a little one.

That's where this thread comes in. Being pregnant adds an entirely different dynamic to preparedness and I'm sure it's going to be an evolving process. As much as I'd like to just be a trooper and press on, laughing in the face of morning sickness and extreme fatigue, there are some adjustments required, as proven by my experience during those camping trips. Here's an initial list that I've come up with. I'm sure I've failed to think of something so I ask your help in thinking this through as we go along.

EDC now includes: anti-nausea meds, TUMS, extra water and snacks, feminine pads, extra unders and a bigger looser shirt and pair of drawstring pants, numbers for OBGYN and emerg clinic, toothbrush and toothpaste and copy of prescription for anti-nausea meds.

GHB now includes all of the above updates and prenatal vitamins, boost meal suppliment drink

BOB now includes all of the above updates and prenatal vitamins, boost meal suppliment drinks, body pillow

GHB and BOB are soon going to have to be adjusted with smaller, lighter packs....

Office Bug-in Kit now includes all of the above updates and prenatal vitamins, boost meal suppliment drink

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has gone through this and I'd appreciate any input you may have to help me navigate the new path ahead. Thanks!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#249249 - 07/31/12 01:03 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Congratulations!

I re-read Where There Is No Doctor, particularly the childbirth section, in the event I found myself providing those services for my wife.

In my book the number one thing to do is to make sure you have ways available to communicate. A cellphone that works, means to charge it, possibly a spare phone.

#249251 - 07/31/12 01:33 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Congrats!!!

And love the "Preggo Prepper" thread title.

There are so few women on this forum, I would not be surprised if this subject has never been covered by a member contemporaneous to that member's pregnancy.

Best wishes as you prepare for the arrival of your newest child.

#249252 - 07/31/12 01:40 AM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Out hospitals give a small diaper bag with samples of similac and such in them. We took those and kept one in each vehicle as an emergency bag/bob.
After the first month or so wife would pump and extra time every so often and we would freeze it to have a emergency stock.
Grocery stores would get annoyed because we would clean out the whole shelf of baby food on one trip. But we didn't use that a lot, instead would mash up normal vegetables and such.
Pack and plays become part of your BOB/INCH gear.
Took them camping the first time around 6 months so they could get used to it. First trip for my daughter a few months old and my son was about 1.5 got real cold in the night. We slept with my daughter between us but noticed my son already had an instinct to curl up and cover his whole body with the blankets to keep warm. Found this kids sized tent on clearance and we set it up and would just let them crawl around inside, they really enjoyed it.

#249284 - 07/31/12 04:20 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks gang!

The baby is due in January so we still have a ways to go. Communications, back-up care plans for our son, and prepping to be snowed-in when the big day comes have all been put on the Action List. Thanks!

As I twisted my ankle stepping off a curb this morning, I was reminded that a pregnant woman's ligaments loosen and her centre of gravity shifts. Good footwear is a must for every day, and would be particularly important in an off-road secenario. In fact, the whole off-road scenario for a potential bug-out should be revisted, as is the plan to walk home should I get stuck at the office or on the road for some reason.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#249288 - 07/31/12 05:25 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
With the thought of a cold weather / trapped at home scenario, may I suggest the addition of an Emergency OB Kit, such as the ones found on ambulances. These kits contain the necessary supplies to handle the situation, are small and portable, are reasonably inexpensive and readily available through many EMS suppliers. Congratulations on the forthcoming addition. smile

#249290 - 07/31/12 05:45 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Congrats!

I have nothing to add, but yesterday my wife made it out of her first trimester with our first kid, so I'll be keeping an eye on things. I have to, since her idea of being prepared is a wool blanket in the trunk.

Of course, she's a pediatrician in a hospital, so the medical side is covered. And she's been fortunate enough to skip the whole morning sickness crud - just some fatigue.

#249291 - 07/31/12 06:03 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Congratulations!!! I'd say a constant supply of haupia will do you good!

#249293 - 07/31/12 06:35 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Been there, doing that. My firsts (twins) are due in less then two months. Might I suggest Jolly Rancher Fruit n' Sour Hard Candy as part of your EDC. They really work well for nausea, and can be stored at ambient while Preggo Pops cannot.

Also, prep for what the relaxin is doing to your joints. As you found out this morning, you're turning into Gumby. Ace bandages or athletic tape will help with the sprains. The T-handled (i.e. Komperdell Walker Antishock) walking sticks can take a lot of weight off your knees. Add one (or more) of those to your GHB.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#249296 - 07/31/12 06:51 PM Re: Preggo Prepper [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Also....look into Cord Blood Bank storage.

Do your research. Some believe that it's better to let the cord blood go into the baby.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.