Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#248405 - 07/12/12 12:34 PM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: picard120]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Baby wipes for general body hygiene. After the armpits are cleaned, apply deodorant just like you would at home. There are many traveler sized deodorant sticks that take little space or weight in any pack. As for the possibility of deodorant attracting bears...after a lifetime of outdoor travels and adventures, this is not on my list or radar of possibles that I worry about.

John Lubbock

#248416 - 07/12/12 03:25 PM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: picard120]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
I am allergic to most deodorants...been using a thai crystal salt for ten+ years and its great. 1 usually last s me at least a year...at $10 (YMMV) well worth it. Whole Foods like stores carry it...no affiliation BTW..maybe order it thru local pharm.

#248417 - 07/12/12 03:33 PM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: hikermor
... You don't. Disregard the issue until you return home. ...
+1 body odor falls into the NBD category. If you are hunting some of the odor blocking/absorbing clothing may prove beneficial, but for your olfactory receptors it's something to just deal with. Your dog won't care and he/she has a much more acute sense of smell than we humans.

#248422 - 07/12/12 04:50 PM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: Russ]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Russ
+1 body odor falls into the NBD category. If you are hunting some of the odor blocking/absorbing clothing may prove beneficial, but for your olfactory receptors it's something to just deal with. Your dog won't care and he/she has a much more acute sense of smell than we humans.

That suggests another approach: if you don't like the way you smell,roll in something that smells better. Unfortunately, there are, on the forest floor, more things that smell good to dogs than smell good to people.

#248441 - 07/12/12 07:20 PM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: picard120]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Strong antiperspirant deodorant is the only thing that works for me. So, it's either that or nothing. Everything else is a waste of time.

#248443 - 07/12/12 07:47 PM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: Russ]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

I would rather take the few minutes per day to maintain some semblance of hygiene. Nothing worse then having camping and or hiking partners who do not take the time to wash up some key body areas on a regular basis...

John Lubbock

#248453 - 07/12/12 08:24 PM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: Teslinhiker]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
I don't know if I will ever get eaten by a bear because of my choice of deodorant or not, but raccoons have gotten into my bear bag up a tree before and have eaten my toothpaste of all things. Bears aside the bugs around here love the smell of anything like deodorant and appear to bite less when I use unsented wipes. It may be all in my head.

I prefer to hunt with bow, so sent discipline is big in that regard. True, a deer can smell much better than a human but I take all steps to at least reduce my odor.

#248455 - 07/12/12 10:16 PM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: picard120]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Cochise Co., AZ
Campfire smoke. Works great on the dog, too. wink

#248458 - 07/12/12 10:42 PM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: picard120]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
+1 on the crystal deodorant stones.They work on neutralizing the bacteria that makes body odor.They do not melt in high heat like waxy deodorant sticks.works on stinky feet also....

BOATMAN
John

#248463 - 07/12/12 11:29 PM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

I would rather take the few minutes per day to maintain some semblance of hygiene. Nothing worse then having camping and or hiking partners who do not take the time to wash up some key body areas on a regular basis...

Then I'll bet you would not have enjoyed a three week trip I once took with two companions. It was cold (-20F was warmer than average)and at altitude and we shared a north Face tent, ripening together. No issues as a result of that practice.

Our trip ended with a helicopter flight and the first thing on the agenda was a long shower. On other trips in less severe circumstances either swimming or a solar shower has worked very well. I don't deliberately try and render myself smelly and dirty in the woods,, but depending upon the mission and the circumstances, hygiene can easily become an exceedingly minor issue.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.