Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#248649 - 07/17/12 03:00 PM Re: Planning for a 911 Outage [Re: Mark_F]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
It is offered within our council, but rarely near us. We are at the extreme outskirts of our council and can't get anyone to come here for the training til we get at least 25 people willing to take it.

Depending on your Scouting group, another option may be to take a wilderness first aid course put on by some other organization and get your group to reimburse your costs. Assuming things work the same where you are, they are paying for the course out of their own bank account either way.

My group paid for my first aid recert when it came due.

#248674 - 07/17/12 07:50 PM Re: Planning for a 911 Outage [Re: bacpacjac]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I 1000% agree with the "get trained in first aid" - I wish "EMT-B" was part of the standard curriculum in high schools.

#248678 - 07/17/12 08:11 PM Re: Planning for a 911 Outage [Re: Dagny]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Dagny
Step #1 in preparing for a 911 outage is to have hard-copies of the non-911 actual phone numbers of the emergency services you might need: especially police, fire, ambulance.

Nice sentiment. Won't work in most places.

For example, our Firehouse. The phone number is 610-982-5710. Go ahead, call it. I'll wait. Unless you happend to call when there was someone there - which isn't very often - you'll get voicemail. It's a volunteer company - as are all of the surrounding companies. Unstaffed, response is via pagers & siren triggered by - you guessed it - the 911 center. While a 911 outage would not prevent them from tripping the pagers/siren, the steps that lead up to that dispatch would be missing. In fact, even big, paid fire companies leave the firehouse empty when on a call.

EMS, a paid service, is dispatched in the same way, and while they are staffed, if they are enroute back to station from a hospital trip, they are dispatched by radio...from the 911 center. Again, empty building, nobody there to answer the phone if they are on a call.

Police are a little different - they do have staff on duty 24/7 but they are not really equipped to self-dispatch.

My point: Don't think that having the phone number will matter.

#248680 - 07/17/12 08:16 PM Re: Planning for a 911 Outage [Re: Denis]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Denis

I also recall we had a good conversation about when CPR should cease and some of the personal and emotional aspects around that.

I once did CPR on a dead guy for 40 minutes.

I wish we had stopped, but policy was to keep CPR going once started until a doctor or coroner says stop. His wife, an RN, had started CPR about 30 minutes before we arrived at the wilderness location. He had no pulse, no respiration and was getting colder the whole time. Me and a firehouse buddy continued CPR as we hauled him out of a rough terrain area in the woods.

#248681 - 07/17/12 08:17 PM Re: Planning for a 911 Outage [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Get the local number for the dispatch center if your local firehouse is commonly unmanned. Or call the police station -- they should be able to reach a dispatcher for the fire department on your behalf.

#248717 - 07/18/12 04:35 AM Re: Planning for a 911 Outage [Re: chaosmagnet]
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
All 9-1-1 centers have "7-digit emergency numbers" that alarm companies, OnStar, etc. call to report emergencies and incidents. These are the numbers that you want for a 9-1-1 outage. Depending upon where you live, you might have one, two, or three 9-1-1 centers that dispatch your area. For example, where I live, the local 9-1-1 center dispatches police only, a "regional" center dispatches fire and EMS. Generally these numbers are published in the local phone directory (remember those?), and sometimes on agency web sites. If in doubt, call the local agency on their business line and ask.

#248726 - 07/18/12 11:53 AM Re: Planning for a 911 Outage [Re: MartinFocazio]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
Originally Posted By: Dagny
Step #1 in preparing for a 911 outage is to have hard-copies of the non-911 actual phone numbers of the emergency services you might need: especially police, fire, ambulance.

Nice sentiment. Won't work in most places.

My point: Don't think that having the phone number will matter.

It makes a difference in Washington, D.C., where the Metro police have neighborhood substations (I memorized the nearest one's phone number years ago) and other jurisdictions (such as the Capitol Police) can also respond and also have non-911 phone numbers.

Having the phone numbers certainly won't hurt.

#248755 - 07/18/12 06:02 PM Re: Planning for a 911 Outage [Re: Dagny]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

As I said, Police have staffing. That's 33% of the solution, which is better than 0% I guess.

#249146 - 07/28/12 11:12 PM Re: Planning for a 911 Outage [Re: Denis]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Denis
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Don't get your hopes up. The success rate is typically around 30%, even in the best of circumstances. I personally am 0 for 2 in outdoors settings.

You are absolutely correct. My post was a bit misleading; better odds do not necessarily mean good odds.

The figures I've seen are 40% with the combination of CPR and defilbrator if the defilbrator is applied within 5 minutes. (Swedish national "CPR register", several thousand cases). If you don't do CPR but still apply the defilbrator within five minutes the survival rate is 20%. The risk of permanent nevrological damage also increases massively. If the defilbrator is applied in the 6-10 minutes window the survival rate is 30% with CPR and 10% without.

Add to this that the quality of CPR is likely to vary considerably among these cases, but it's close to impossible to correct for that. There is no way of knowing how many of the fatalities that could have lived if they had received higher quality CPR.

Yes, more than half of the people with a stopped heart will die. But immediate CPR does save lives - if you can apply defilbrator within minuttes. And advanced hospital treatment within hours is absolutely essential for the quality of life for those you're able to resurrect.

I have no information about how the survival rate is distributed across fitness and age, but I wouldn't be surprised if the chances are much better for a healty, not too old person that receives immediate CPR followed up by quick defilbrator and a trip to the hospital. Heart failure isn't something that exclusively happen to people in very poor health. Even athletes die from hearth related problems.

#249153 - 07/29/12 12:05 AM Re: Planning for a 911 Outage [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
The number of fatalities from people not receiving CPR when they needed it is 100%. I suspect the number of potential rescuers that experience the guilt of not trying because they thought the odds were against them is about the same 100%. The odds being against us not a good reason to not learn or try CPR in my books.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.