Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#249020 - 07/25/12 12:18 PM Re: Thinking about EDC/backup lights for the wild [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Any light beats no light, hands down....I used to carry a similar light, also with an "on" button, a very desirable feature. But I have since switched to a small AAA keychain light - with a small increase in bulk and weight, I have much greater capability (hiking all night if necessary.

Whatever flavor you choose, having some sort of EDC light makes a big difference. Right now, I am regularly passing out small AA lights to crew members who are occasionally digging in dark shadows - and this is within a fully lighted building.....

#249021 - 07/25/12 12:50 PM Re: Thinking about EDC/backup lights for the wild [Re: Denis]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I agree that it's a good idea to have other lights. Me, I'm a bit of a "flashlight junkie"! I have a few by SureFire, dozens by other brands. The AAA is a great EDC battery; the size and shape allows very small form factor lights yet the cell is big enough to drive a serious emitter. One of my favorite "cheapo" EDC AAA's is also from DX. It's called a "Black Cat". It uses one x AAA and is rated for 100 lumens. This is probably rated at the emitter and not OTF, but the rating seems pretty legit compared to other lights I own. Despite costing $8 it's held up to a couple years of carry.

Yet even this small light doesn't accompany me every minute of the day, 24/7. That's the beauty of the "faux-ton". It's so small that I literally have it on me except in the shower. wink When I know I might reasonably expect to need a light I have some very good ones. The fauxton is for those times I didn't foresee the need but was glad to have something.

#249049 - 07/26/12 05:47 PM Re: Thinking about EDC/backup lights for the wild [Re: Denis]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
My flashlight system is pretty dated, but I'm happy with it. I carry a Surefire E1B in my left pocket and I have an ARC AAA on my key chain in my right pocket. I've used both countless times in countless situations.

The most recent quasi emergency situation is when I was broke down on the side of a major highway at night with a car that had no lights (Electrical issue I guess, but it wasn't my car). That was a week ago today. I was pleased with the E1B's performance.

If I had to critique my own system I'd say that the both lights are dated and don't use the same batteries. In an ideal world I think one would always have a light on their person and both lights would use the same batteries. It might be even better if they were identical. I should probably consider at least replacing my ARC with an E10 as it has longer run time, but I like the history of the ARC light (See CPF ;)).

I wonder if I'll get to use them tonight, we may have severe thunderstorms rolling through this evening. Fun stuff.

#249050 - 07/26/12 06:20 PM Re: Thinking about EDC/backup lights for the wild [Re: Denis]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Having flashlights with different batteries may allow for better scrounging -- if all you can find is AAA batteries, having a flashlight with you that takes them may be a big advantage.

#249051 - 07/26/12 06:42 PM Re: Thinking about EDC/backup lights for the wild [Re: Denis]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I have a Fenix E01. The light output is about the same as my photon keyring light. I've always wondered, is that about what others get out of the E01?

#249057 - 07/26/12 07:39 PM Re: Thinking about EDC/backup lights for the wild [Re: ireckon]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: ireckon
I have a Fenix E01. The light output is about the same as my photon keyring light. I've always wondered, is that about what others get out of the E01?

The manufacturer claims the Photon puts out 4.5 lumens. The Fenix E01 puts out 10 or 13 lumens. I have seen both ratings stated on the Fenix site. Perhaps they upgraded the LED since the site now claims 13 lumens. They claimed 10 lumens when I bought mine about 7 months ago. I don't have a Photon so I can't compare them visually here.

#249064 - 07/26/12 08:49 PM Re: Thinking about EDC/backup lights for the wild [Re: Denis]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I would guess that photon puts out a lot more than 4.5 when the battery is fresh and rapidly drops to about 4.5 and rapidly drops again to even less. Unless they're semi regulated now (Mine I don't think are regulated at all), the photons have very quick drop off. The E01 is fully regulated for something like 10 hours them semi regulated for another 10. The flat-ish output is what I like so much about it.

EDIT - I should say the ARC AAA has similar performance to the E01 except about half the regulated run times, if memory serves.

Edited by roberttheiii (07/26/12 09:09 PM)

#249067 - 07/26/12 09:33 PM Re: Thinking about EDC/backup lights for the wild [Re: Denis]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I didn't mention this above and it's not easy to imagine from reading the dimensions: The Fenix LD15 is substantially smaller than the LD10, even though both are AA flashlights. When I first got my LD10, I thought it was quite small. I never imagined a high performing AA flashlight could get much smaller, until I got the LD15. If anybody cares, I can take a pic of the LD15, the LD10, and the E01 next to each other.

#249070 - 07/26/12 11:09 PM Re: Thinking about EDC/backup lights for the wild [Re: ireckon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The 4Sevens Mini AA I have is now called the FOURSEVENS Mini MA it is similar to the Fenix LD15 but 1/4" shorter at 3". 4Sevens lights have a 120 month (10 year) warranty.

Other than being a satisfied 4Sevens user, no affiliation.

#249071 - 07/27/12 12:07 AM Re: Thinking about EDC/backup lights for the wild [Re: Russ]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Here in California (mostly open space, rare clouds, a lot of light pollution from large cities), I prefer to use no flashlight at all as in most cases there is enough scattered light available at night for the natural night vision. After 2 hours in darkness you will be amazed how much you can see without a flashlight and how little with it.

However, when in the field I'm always carrying the Wave multitool and Petzl E+Lite on my belt. E+Lite is the smallest multi-function headlight on the market and also has the red light modes, which will not ruin your night vision too much but allow to see in really deep night shadows. It runs for very long time on a pair of lithium coin cells for me.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.