Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#249035 - 07/26/12 02:31 AM what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid ?

Is this outdoor fashion gear ? Does it serve any practical purpose ? I see some people wear it on camping trip although they already have plenty of paracord ropes.

#249036 - 07/26/12 03:44 AM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: picard120]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"survival bling"

#249037 - 07/26/12 05:46 AM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: picard120]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I can understand having extra stuff that comes handy in rough times. I do benefit from the "cache" idea by pre-positioning stuff around my office and other places. I put fresnel lens and a few bandaids in my wallet, and so forth. However, going through several forums and other sites, it appears that wearing or EDCing some stuff is becoming a fashion sort of thing.

Look at this You Tube video ( minute 7:00 to 8:30 ) , you will notice a guy complaining that he does not have enough cordage for building a better shelter . Funny thing, he is wearing a paracord wrist braid on his right arm.

SAN Cold Water & Hypothermia Prevention
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dju4AOVV1cA

#249038 - 07/26/12 06:48 AM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: picard120]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
funny you should mention. I clicked on some YT video that showed how to open a can without a can opener (I know, sucker for 'magic'tricks), classic stereotype; lightweight tan tactical boots, jeans, paracord bracelet, big watch face knockoff chronograph watch, zero ability with a set video camera. At least he had a decent knife.

#249039 - 07/26/12 10:46 AM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: Chisel]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Chisel
I can understand having extra stuff that comes handy in rough times. I do benefit from the "cache" idea by pre-positioning stuff around my office and other places. I put fresnel lens and a few bandaids in my wallet, and so forth. However, going through several forums and other sites, it appears that wearing or EDCing some stuff is becoming a fashion sort of thing.

Look at this You Tube video ( minute 7:00 to 8:30 ) , you will notice a guy complaining that he does not have enough cordage for building a better shelter . Funny thing, he is wearing a paracord wrist braid on his right arm.

SAN Cold Water & Hypothermia Prevention
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dju4AOVV1cA

Good catch. I had previously watched that video and missed that.

#249041 - 07/26/12 11:09 AM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
"survival bling"
And deployment bling. I got one (made by local Scouts) before going overseas. Wore it about 6 weeks before it stunk to high heaven and I realized I'd never need it.

#249043 - 07/26/12 11:44 AM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: picard120]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
They have one survival use that hasn't been mentioned. My son is stationed at a polar airbase and the sun doesn't come up for 5 months at a time. He makes and gives away the paracord bracelets. I think they're helping him survive the long night.

#249053 - 07/26/12 07:02 PM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: picard120]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Have a paracord belt I made,gotta have a belt,may as well have a use beyond holding pants up.Would also like to make paracord dog leashes,hey,rope really is a handy thing to have,so why not?

Anything that has a practical purpose,why not give it extra capabilities?

Shoot,paracord can help with making shelter,you can make suture material,floss,it has a lot of uses.

#249060 - 07/26/12 07:58 PM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: picard120]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
A lot of it is survival bling, but some of it is useful. I took a course with the Sierra Club about 10 or 12 years back, and they had SERE instructors guest lecturing at the graduation campout. I remember one particular piece of advice they gave: "You can never have too much cord, too many knives, or too many ways to make fire".

It's also just plain fun to play with. It's the modern day version of sailors' fancywork knots. I've made the usual hatbands and zipper pulls out of it. I tried to make a belt out of it, but it was too thick and ended up using 4mm macramé cord (160 ft worth of clove hitched cord).

If you're looking for actual useful (easy to pull out) plaits for survival bling, look up a double chain sinnet. It's also called a bugle braid, and requires an obscene amount of material (6-12 in/in).
http://www.free-macrame-patterns.com/bugle-braid.html

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#249072 - 07/27/12 12:34 AM Re: what is the big deal with the paracord wrist braid [Re: picard120]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

I think this braid is just a outdoor Jewellery. It is better to carry paracord in a separate bundle. The video just make me feel so frustrated by unprepared people trying to look like Bear Gryllis or Ray Mears.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.