Topic Options
#248725 - 07/18/12 11:47 AM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: Roarmeister]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: Dagny
[quote=Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
A key to my car camping zen is this 12' x 12' screenroom (Eureka Northern Breeze). My tents come and go but this screenroom is the mainstay of basecamp. Shelter from bugs and rain (including withstanding a tropical storm that broke one of my tent's poles). 1" shock-corded aluminum poles that connect at a 4-way hub. I can put this up in 15 minutes by myself. I also have the optional snap-in floor. Each wall can roll up or be used as an awning.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___26300

It's so big I've arrived at camp in thunderstorms, put up the screenroom and then set up my tent inside the screenroom.

I'm curious as to why you would find the need to put up the tent within this particular screenroom? Was the downpour that heavy? It seems that this model once completely outfitted would serve adequately as a tent in its own right, sans a little privacy.

I've seen others use a tarp as the first setup and then setup the tent beside it so that the entrance to the tent is given complete cover.

Thunderstorm (i.e. heavy rain and wind) + convenient sheltered space big enough to set up the tent. It is/was as simple as that.

The screenroom is not completely enclosed so it is not secure from creatures which populate this region, such as bugs, chipmunks, skunks, etc. I also need a tent to keep my dog inside at night, which the screenroom would not do if she was curious about something outside.

Another reason I like that screenroom is for storage of bikes, boats and boat gear. The walls/awnings provide privacy which provides more security for my stuff - which can be an issue at campgrounds (fortunately, I've never had anything stolen but it happens).

#248727 - 07/18/12 12:03 PM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: Mark_M]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Mark_M

My solution was to build a micro-camper with many of the same features as a teardrop. But time and money have been interfering. A few weeks ago I found a 35 year-old Coleman pop-up camper on Craigslist for $500. The camper is in amazing condition for its age.

I still plan on building the micro-camper, because even with the pop-up there's still some time and effort required for setup. But now the pop-up is always packed-up and ready to go, just add fresh food and ice. As a result I've been out camping every weekend since, and am enjoying the trips much more. Even in the rain (and boy did it rain on my inaugural trip).

Hear, hear!

My teardrop trailer transformed weekend camping - made it much more feasible, time-wise, and far more comfortable. Permanently packed with everything except food, it is hitch-and-go convenience.

Some weekends I don't bother un-hitching. Our favorite weekend car camping campground is right on the Appalachian Trail.

There are terrific deals to be had on used camping trailers.

#248731 - 07/18/12 01:10 PM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: MoBOB]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

it is possible that we dread camping at older age because our bones are getting more brittle.

#248732 - 07/18/12 01:16 PM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: Dagny]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Wow, seeing how much you guys (and gals) love your trailers makes me want to check into getting one for the impromptu family weekend camping trip. It would sure beat packing the tents, air mattresses etc into the mini-van.

I couldn't use it for the cub scout campouts though. Well, I could, but I'd have to eat some crow. In years past I've told them campers are for sissies, but now I am looking at and thinking about them in a whole new light. I'm sure DW would enjoy it a bit more and actually WANT to go more often, and that's a good thing.

#248740 - 07/18/12 01:53 PM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: Mark_F]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom

I couldn't use it for the cub scout campouts though. Well, I could, but I'd have to eat some crow. In years past I've told them campers are for sissies, but now I am looking at and thinking about them in a whole new light. I'm sure DW would enjoy it a bit more and actually WANT to go more often, and that's a good thing.

Emerson:"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."

Humility is a magical quality in a leader-this is a great object lesson for the scouts. You will show kids how to use new information to work through preconception and prejudice to a better decision, a critical survival skill.

#248748 - 07/18/12 03:54 PM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: Mark_F]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Wow, seeing how much you guys (and gals) love your trailers makes me want to check into getting one for the impromptu family weekend camping trip. It would sure beat packing the tents, air mattresses etc into the mini-van.

Mark - highly recommend checking out this forum below on "Teardrops & Tiny Travel Trailers." There are some small regional manufacturers of teardrops but a lot of them, perhaps most, are home-made. This forum (THE forum for teardrops) even has free blueprints.

http://www.tnttt.com/

The classic teardrop -- consisting of a bed accessed through side doors and a kitchen galley accessed from outside -- is a few sheets of plywood - floor, sides, wood spars. Some are skinned with aluminum.

Could be a great project to include scouts in to earn some merit badges.

If you get into teardropping then you'll likely also discover cast iron dutch ovens -- if you haven't already in your scouting experiences.

#248749 - 07/18/12 04:41 PM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Martin ... Original Post

So - camping, with kids, in a windstorm in the wee hours of the morning?? Dude ... in family terms that goes down as an "epic experience". Hahahahaha !! A great story to be told later. :-)

Things with families have to be a lot milder and much more user-friendly. Otherwise they do indeed become "not much fun" for the adult in charge.

You'll be fine ... if you do future camps in simpler locations where you can bail out quickly. There's no shame in declaring a retreat and moving to a motel if things go horribly wrong. It's always a good idea to have that as a backup option :-)

good luck!

Pete2

#248799 - 07/20/12 12:15 AM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: hikermor]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: hikermor

The solutions for this problem is fairly simple. Don't camp under trees with large branches. They are frequently referred to as "widowmakers." A properly maintained campground will prune their trees of such hazards.

The whole damn tree fell. All of it.

#248815 - 07/20/12 11:00 AM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: MartinFocazio]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Martin, there are things that we cannot wholly get away from no matter how hard we try. Random car accident, maniac outside a movie theater (Colorado last night), trees falling, etc. A microburst topped three trees and snapped a fourth in my backyard a couple of years ago, dropped two in the front yard as well. I live on a quarter acre in a subdivision as well. That was just another thunderstorm that we were watching. The derecho was another. I still go out of the house. I still boat. I still camp.

I firmly believe that once you loose the wonder of it, camping is just sleeping in the dirt. This applies to a lot of other things as well. Everyone should go ride a bike this weekend just for the sheer pleasure of riding, not for exercise, to to go somewhere, just to ride.

Regards,
Bill

#248816 - 07/20/12 01:32 PM Re: Lost interest in camping? [Re: MartinFocazio]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio

Maybe it's that middle ground between "solo backpacker" and "base camp" that's no fun for me.

Anyone else arrive at this point?

You have learned all that you need to learn on this path, grasshopper; it is time to seek a new path, with new obstacles and new delights.

IIRC, you live in a fairly rural setting, have an active emergency services job, and a wide range of expertise in subsistence technology, outdoor living and survival: you get more outdoor lifestyle on Tuesday than many folks do in a year. It is clearly okay for you to move on to another activity, or simply stop camping until the universe calls you to your next passion.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.