Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#248586 - 07/16/12 11:40 AM Re: Sure2Burn fire starters [Re: yee]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have thrown Bic lighters, the real ones,into pack pockets, etc. and carried them for several years with good reliability. I have also invested in a peanut lighter which I EDC on my key chain. I test it about every few months, since i rarely have to light a fre under emergency conditions these days.

If you ever have to build a fire under true emergency conditions, the trivial investment in diverse and reliable fire building gear will pay off immensely. Don't be afraid to spend a little money for this stuff.

#248587 - 07/16/12 02:05 PM Re: Sure2Burn fire starters [Re: Treeseeker]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
I do not smoke, but am a gadget geek, I love lighters-

+1 on the peanut lighters- They use regular old lighter fluid, but are sealed, so they don't leak. Only minus is they suck in the wind; must have wind guard

I bought mine at http://countycomm.com/lighterfamily.html

I also carry a Ronson Jetlite. They are about 5.00 at Walmart and Walgreens They are a blowtorch style butane light. I have been carrying one bare in my pocket for 4 years- the silvering has worn off, but it still lights every time.

Before that I carried a pipe lighter that I got for 12.95- sorry, don't know brand off-hand. I liked the fact that I could push it down into a glass candle-holder while lit without burning my fingers- I carried that for 5 years before the Ronson. It still works, I just like the profile of the Ronson better.

#248589 - 07/16/12 03:15 PM Re: Sure2Burn fire starters [Re: yee]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: yee
I suspect that Sure2Burn would fair better in the pocket outside of my canteen carrier but it is too small to boil a full canteen cup of water.

You could always use more than one to boil a cup.

I think I will be carrying both PJ cotton balls and Sure2Burn. I can use the Sure2Burn for convenience and the cotton balls if needed.

#248804 - 07/20/12 12:57 AM Re: Sure2Burn fire starters [Re: LCranston]
yee Offline

I purchased a Ronson Jetlite. It looks good. I now have duct tape on it and is attached to my keychain. Time will tell if it stays as a permanent part of my keychain.

I also purchased a peanut lighter off ebay. It should arrive in a few weeks and will be attached to my pocket knife lanyard.

Thanks for the advice.

Conway Yee

#248805 - 07/20/12 01:37 AM Re: Sure2Burn fire starters [Re: yee]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Yee, you said off brand Bic. That's not the same thing as far as reliability goes. Bic probably has a legal strangle hold on the mechanism they use, so that nobody can copy it absolutely the same. It's weird to talk about a $1 lighter like this, but Bics are pretty amazing. I have a Bic that's at least 8 years old, and it still has plenty of fuel in it.

#248806 - 07/20/12 01:50 AM Re: Sure2Burn fire starters [Re: ireckon]
yee Offline

Good point. The "Bic" was off brand. I may purchase a couple of name brand "Bic" to throw in the car/knapsack/house/etc.

I deliberately chose the off-brand lighter over the name brand for the specific reason that it is possible to adjust the flame to the point where blowtorch mode was possible. Unfortunately, the very adjustability (the ability to take off the covering metal shell and adjust the flame mechanism) makes the metal cover very prone to fall off during use. This in turn causes failure of the mechanism underneath particularly in the event of using the flint wheel.

Conway Yee

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.