Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#246879 - 06/11/12 03:39 AM Re: Ship My Knives to get sharpend? Why Bother?! [Re: nursemike]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thank you for the replies. Looks like I've got a few things to try...

Riding herd on budding paleontologists is an interesting business. Not all are young - our very best excavator did her last season, most likely, at age 92. It was quite a milestone for me when she allowed me to sharpen her tools.... At the other end of the scale, a young lady of 16 my first season is now working on her doctorate - how quickly they grow!

#246884 - 06/11/12 05:51 AM Re: Ship My Knives to get sharpend? Why Bother?! [Re: Phaedrus]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

I think VG-10 is pretty good for outdoors-type knives. CPM154 is pretty good, too. S30V is a good strong steel but doesn't take as good an edge as VG-10. In the hands of someone who understands how to heat treat it correctly D2 is a great steel (but off the cuff I'd only trust Bob Dozier and Knives of Alaska). O1 is a really good steel, and I particularly like JK Handmade Knives (I've got 50 of them). 1095 is acceptable but not premium. I shy away from 440C and its' variants...not crappy but there's much better. There are a few higher end ones that get good press but I can't speak from experience. These include CPM-M4 and Boeler K390. Someday... Busse does a good job with his proprietary INFI steel. And surely there are some obviously great steels that I'm simply forgetting right now.

You need a certain level of quality of steel but really I think that, within reason, the heat treat trumps the choice of steel.

Thank you for such an in-depth response.
I'm sorry I did not answer your question, work has been too busy to go online.

I meant outdoor EDC KNIFE / not chopper or impromptu battle ax.
It looks like I'm using your choices.
I have a Spyderco in VG10 that I EDC. I like it as a great all around knife.
I own two of Doug's CMP-M4 but use them infrequently.
I own some S30V but I tend to baby them to softer cutting because it is supposed to be very chippy.
I own a few 1095 including Doug's but all are more camp choppers then knives.
I have a number of other steels too.

I posted the question because there are steels that hold an edge well but are hard to sharpen especially quick touch ups in the field.
My skills with my Sharpmaker are only get me so far.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge of both steel and sharpening.
It looks like I'm making good choices.

#246885 - 06/11/12 05:52 AM Re: Ship My Knives to get sharpend? Why Bother?! [Re: chaosmagnet]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Quietly_Learning
(I can't figure out how to quote yet

Press the quote button at the bottom of any post and you'll be able to see how it's done in UBBCode -- it's very straightforward. PM me if you have any issues.

Thanks chaosmagnet! I figured it out.

#246955 - 06/12/12 06:04 AM Re: Ship My Knives to get sharpend? Why Bother?! [Re: Phaedrus]
AlvaroBurgess Offline
Stranger

Loc: 221 N Sunset Ave, City Of Indu...
That depends on what you're using it for. Kitchen knives and bushcraft knives have different criterion.

But where can we sharpen our kitchen knives?

#246957 - 06/12/12 06:38 AM Re: Ship My Knives to get sharpend? Why Bother?! [Re: Frisket]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
my local grocery store,Lunds,in the Highland area of St Paul MN will sharpen kitchen knives for free.you pick up a cardboard "sheath" at the butcher counter and bring the knife in that with your info filled in.i had a yard sale knife sharpen by them and it was a very passable job,neat knife with a solid aluminum handle and a big blade that i assume came from one of the slaughter house's that used to be in St Paul,it's my "go too" knife in the kitchen.

#246980 - 06/12/12 05:55 PM Re: Ship My Knives to get sharpend? Why Bother?! [Re: AlvaroBurgess]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: AlvaroBurgess
That depends on what you're using it for. Kitchen knives and bushcraft knives have different criterion.

But where can we sharpen our kitchen knives?

Assuming your edge isn't too far gone, get a lansky turnbox, the 2 rod version is good enough and cost a bit over $10.

#247071 - 06/14/12 06:50 PM Re: Ship My Knives to get sharpend? Why Bother?! [Re: nursemike]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: nursemike
I wanted to experiment with very high grit abrasives for sharpening, but needed an economical approach: I used contact cement to secure 150 and 400 sand paper to some pieces of marble and glass.
Results were mixed, more experimentation is needed. This is apparently an approach used by carpenters to achieve scary sharp plane blades.

While I think of it, here some new, quite economical options I have come across. Both types are abrasives for steel, on a mylar sheet with an adhesive backing.

3M Micro-Abrasives for Sharpening:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=33004&cat=1,43072

Diamond Lapping Film:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=68943&cat=1,43072

I recently purchased some of the diamond lapping sheets, but haven't given them a try yet.

BTW: No affiliation to Lee Valley, except that they keep sending me these darned catalogues loaded with neat stuff I previously didn't even know I needed. blush

#247078 - 06/15/12 03:59 AM Re: Ship My Knives to get sharpend? Why Bother?! [Re: hikermor]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: hikermor
OK, all you sharpening wizards, I have a question about sharpening at the other end of the scale. Let me explain.

Every July for the last decade or so, I have served as crew chief for excavators digging mammoth fossils in the Black Hills of South Dakota ( here). One of my routine jobs is to sharpen tools, typically chisels, pointing trowels, and putty knives. Typically the tools dull rather quickly, as we are digging in fine grained sediments. I often will sharpen the same tool twice a day.

The current "sharpening" technique consists of running the edge along a medium grit bench grinder, taking care not to burn the steel and occasionally dousing the tool in water. My interest is heightened because I have just acquired a hori-hori, a Japanese tool fashioned specifically for digging dirt. It is rather dull, and I am sure sharpening will improve it. but I am thoughtful about the best way to put a good edge on it. The blade is inscribed "K245 Stainless China'" which is probably not in the same league as S30V. Any inisghts are welcomed - What is the best way to sharpen an edge for really rough work in dirt and rocks?

Hiker more,

I use a wet wheel grinder (mine is a Grizzly, Tormak is the best known) for outdoor tools from geologists hammers to shovels and trowels. Use a single bevel with a fairly wide angle. Make sure you take a truing tool.

I use the same grinder for axes and chopping tools. Shaving sharp is really not necessary for these tools. I also use it to fix a broken tip, chip or badly abused knife. The rest I use a Spyderco Triangle (the diamond sleeve can really help on a dull knife). When I need a larger surface, I have a 9 x 12 granite surface plate with appropriate grit wet or dry paper on it.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#248795 - 07/19/12 11:25 PM Re: Ship My Knives to get sharpend? Why Bother?! [Re: Frisket]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I am able to get a pretty good utility edge on my knives when I sharpen them. I've never gotten one sharp enough to shave hair, unless you don't mind taking some flesh with the hair. But since I don't shave with my knives, I think I prefer the utility edge better. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.