Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#248703 - 07/17/12 11:53 PM Re: Urban Canadians ... firearms? [Re: ireckon]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: ireckon

It's a bummer that Canada has strong restrictions on firearms.

Restrictive law is part of the reason, you are also instantly vilified in eyes of both LE and public, like the example in my first post.

#248704 - 07/18/12 12:09 AM Re: Urban Canadians ... firearms? [Re: Denis]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Denis
... I can't really see a very large, practical role for firearms in urban Canada and I was wondering if I was missing something or if this is indeed the case.

I don't think you're missing anything. I have used and owned firearms since I was a teenager. But I have never felt a need to have a firearm in a Canadian city.

A practical example: in all the years I spent living in the city, going to technical college and university, my firearms were stored at my parents' farm. That's where I needed those tools.

For the average citizen up here, the risk for assault is generally very low. Of course if you go looking for trouble, someone will accommodate you. But most urban violence up here involves groups known to each other (and shockingly careless about shooting up public places with smuggled handguns). Situational awareness is the most effective way of staying safe.

That's not to say I'm complacent. I do keep some multi-use, non-firearm options close at hand in my home and vehicle. This in case of the very, very rare random element. I like having options. But my guns are locked up at home, as per law, and that generally suits me.

That's my perspective. YMMV.

#248708 - 07/18/12 02:44 AM Re: Urban Canadians ... firearms? [Re: Denis]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Denis
Honestly, I guess I don't really know what looking to learn now smile. I started this thread just wondering about how other Canadians viewed the role of firearms but, logically, this has moved more into talking about self & home defence in general. As this isn't something I've thought too much about any input is welcome.

It seems to me that the best input I can offer is: you know what you need.

People who believe they are under threat are more likely to take the time and energy to acquire the necessary skills and tools to respond effectively. (The particular skills and tools depend on the context: obviously it would be quite stupid to carry a firearm in a city where carrying is a felony.) Without this motivation, most people can't really get anywhere, because the degree of commitment required is quite high. They buy a gun and a box of ammo, and then forget about them in a closet. They sign up for the hottest martial art, and quit after a few weeks. The people who think there is a real chance they will have to fight for their lives one day, will be committed and diligent.

So if you don't need to protect yourself, you may be less motivated. Of course, there are other forms of motivation besides the practical situation. Some people love to fight, and they enjoy learning and training, much the same way we like talking about gear and preparing for disasters. Maybe if you truly see combative training (with or without firearms) as an essential part of your preparation, being a dedicated prepper, you'll drag yourself to the range or to the dojo.

Don't do combative training for fitness. That's not really an efficient way. It's more about programming your body and mind, less about toning your muscles or burning fat. It helps to be fit, and that's why some martial artists are gym rats as well. On the other hand, it's my personal suspicion that greater body mass provides a more stable platform for shooting. That's why all these fat guys outshoot me.

Edited by Bingley (07/18/12 07:11 AM)

#248714 - 07/18/12 03:43 AM Re: Urban Canadians ... firearms? [Re: Denis]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

firearms of all kinds are prohibited in Canada. The cops will bust anyone ass hard if they discover you have firearms even with license.

they will put you away for eternity or you will be in legal black hole.

#248722 - 07/18/12 07:01 AM Re: Urban Canadians ... firearms? [Re: picard120]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: picard120
firearms of all kinds are prohibited in Canada. The cops will bust anyone ass hard if they discover you have firearms even with license.

Sir, I must regretfully inform you that your research is incomplete.

#248734 - 07/18/12 01:26 PM Re: Urban Canadians ... firearms? [Re: picard120]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: picard120

There was a recent thread on this forums credibility. Uninformed and inflamatory insinuations such as this harms the forum credibility and reputation. There are millions of firearm owners in Canada who are also law abiding citizens whom have no such problems with firearm ownership and the police..

John Lubbock

#248751 - 07/18/12 05:01 PM Re: Urban Canadians ... firearms? [Re: dougwalkabout]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
That's not to say I'm complacent. I do keep some multi-use, non-firearm options close at hand in my home and vehicle. This in case of the very, very rare random element. I like having options. But my guns are locked up at home, as per law, and that generally suits me.

Pretty much my attitude.

I am not sure that I am capable of actually using a "weapon" to intentionally hurt somebody, even under duress. I like to think that in a serious situation I would do what is necessary, but I think everybody thinks that, and most really can't because they haven't been trained.

#248759 - 07/18/12 10:22 PM Re: Urban Canadians ... firearms? [Re: Denis]
Nato7 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Well, this is a somewhat delicate topic for which I have had my knuckles wrapped previously. So, will play this by ear and see what the moderators have to say.

Sorry, this is probably redundant information, but it will provide a little background for anyone who isn't familiar.

In Canada, you must be licensed to own or be in possession of any firearm otherwise known as the possession and acquisition license or more commonly know as the PAL or the previous POL. Firearms are split into 3 distinct groups as per the Firearms Act - nonrestricted or long guns (rifles & shotguns), restricted (handguns/AR15 platform) and prohibited (which few are allowed to possess). Storage and transport for the above are separated into nonrestricted and restricted/prohib. You only require your PAL when transporting a nonrestricted and a PAL/ATT (authorisation to transport) for restricted/prohib.

Having said all this - there are exceptions. Please refer to the Canadian Firearms Centre website for additional information.

Currently, the Firearms Act in Canada has been amended to end the Long Gun Registry for non restricted firearms. In essence, it ends the previously mandated registration of these types of firearms with the federal government. Restricted and prohib are still required to be registered. Licensing, storage and transport requirements remain the same.

Also, Bill C-26 has been passed into law which clarifies self defense and the powers of Citizens arrest under the Criminal Code of Canada. Although I do endorse the right of self defense of ones person and family, I must also be realistic. In general, the Canadian public do not view firearms in the same light as in the United States.

Please note the following are my personal views only. I would not recommend using a firearm to defend personal property (i.e. computer, television, etc.). The Crown prosecutor will probably argue it is an object which can be easily replaced by insurance. A more viable situation would be you and your family defending yourselves in an ensconced position in response to a person or persons threatening your well being. Regardless, as stated by jzmtl you will be dragged through the courts for using a firearm in self defense.

More importantly, I hope that no one has to face the above situation.

Edited by Nato7 (07/18/12 10:24 PM)

#248764 - 07/19/12 12:56 AM Re: Urban Canadians ... firearms? [Re: Nato7]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I just want to congratulate the previous posters for a level-headed, well-behaved, and per the forum rules thread discussing firearms and defense of life/property.

Thanks everyone!

I'm not a forum administrator, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

#248765 - 07/19/12 01:00 AM Re: Urban Canadians ... firearms? [Re: Denis]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
FWIW.... my motivation..
Luby's Cafeteria, Killeen, Texas, USA, October 16, 1991

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 159 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.