Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#248464 - 07/12/12 11:49 PM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: picard120]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wilderness?

Have a wash (soap and water works quite well) and stay away from synthetics materials especially old or heavily used (even though washed and clean before use) base layers. X-static or merino wool base layer would be useful. Soap will also vary in its ability to reduce bacteria. i.e. Bog Myrtle or medicated Tea Tree oil soap will perform better and can be useful at keeping the flies off as well. I prefer the smell of Bog Myrtle over the Tea Tree though.

A small aerosol deodorant (travel size) will also double up as an emergency fire lighter.

#248471 - 07/13/12 01:42 AM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: hikermor]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: hikermor

The vintage soap ad portrays a highly polluting practice.

You're right of course....the poster is from the late 1800's when pollution wasn't a popular concern.... Using a folding basin, dip out the water, warm it if that is your preference, and take it 100'-200' away from the lake or stream. Soap (not 'bath bar') is completely biodegradable in soil. Use it to shave, shampoo, and wash up, and then dump the grey water in a cathole. I hate to stink, even out in the woods.

Edited by Byrd_Huntr (07/13/12 02:14 AM)
Edit Reason: added poster date

#248473 - 07/13/12 01:48 AM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: hikermor

Then I'll bet you would not have enjoyed a three week trip I once took with two companions. It was cold (-20F was warmer than average)and at altitude and we shared a north Face tent, ripening together. No issues as a result of that practice.

Our trip ended with a helicopter flight and the first thing on the agenda was a long shower. On other trips in less severe circumstances either swimming or a solar shower has worked very well. I don't deliberately try and render myself smelly and dirty in the woods,, but depending upon the mission and the circumstances, hygiene can easily become an exceedingly minor issue.

Yes there are always extenuating circumstances for not being able to always maintain hygiene. However the plaintive and oft excuse of "we are just camping/hiking", IMO does not constitute a reason not to maintain basic hygiene...

John Lubbock

#248476 - 07/13/12 02:26 AM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: Stephen]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Stephen
I don't know if I will ever get eaten by a bear because of my choice of deodorant or not, but raccoons have gotten into my bear bag up a tree before and have eaten my toothpaste of all things. Bears aside the bugs around here love the smell of anything like deodorant and appear to bite less when I use unsented wipes. It may be all in my head.

I prefer to hunt with bow, so sent discipline is big in that regard. True, a deer can smell much better than a human but I take all steps to at least reduce my odor.

THANK YOU for mentioning the toothpaste!

My wife looked at me like I was crazy the last time we went camping. In fact, she's made it a running joke whenever we're outside.

I plan on showing her this post to (maybe) make her realize I'm not full of it.

#248478 - 07/13/12 02:29 AM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: picard120]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I'd rather have a armpit smelling trail partner than a dragon breath partner.

And +1 on the deodorant crystal stone.

#248480 - 07/13/12 02:47 AM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: MDinana]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada

Man, what's even more crazy was the fact my mountain house pouches were barely touched. ( suppose I can't blame the coons for that)
The wildlife officials out here reccomend all smelly items be hung in a bear bag, especially Toilitries because apparently that attracts unwelcome visitors worst than actual food at times. I got the bears figured out, but those raccoons are crafty little bas***ds.

Going without freeze dried scrambled eggs is one thing, but spending 4 days without toothpaste is hitting below the belt. Regardless of the survival shows, using a spruce twig as an improvised brush is no fun at all.

#248493 - 07/13/12 02:04 PM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: picard120]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
This is a good discussion. I have reread it prior to posing this question.

Suppose I am in a survival situation. It’s not critical. It’s more like an unplanned camping trip. I have a source of water. I have some supplies such as toothpaste and a tooth brush but I want to save what little toothpaste I have for my teeth. Another relevant piece of gear I always have on me is the Ultralight / Watertight .3 but I want to save the Antiseptic and alcohol wipes for first aid. The only clothes I have are what I am wearing. What can I do?

Jeanette Isabelle

#248530 - 07/14/12 05:40 AM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: hikermor]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
crystal deoderant ammonium alum works.

Lee

Edited by leemann (07/14/12 05:50 AM)
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#248539 - 07/14/12 03:01 PM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
This is a good discussion. I have reread it prior to posing this question.

Suppose I am in a survival situation. It’s not critical. It’s more like an unplanned camping trip. I have a source of water. I have some supplies such as toothpaste and a tooth brush but I want to save what little toothpaste I have for my teeth. Another relevant piece of gear I always have on me is the Ultralight / Watertight .3 but I want to save the Antiseptic and alcohol wipes for first aid. The only clothes I have are what I am wearing. What can I do?

Jeanette Isabelle

Not certain that I grasp the question, but then, I often don't. Suggest substituting Dr Bronners soap for toothpaste: it is usable for washing clothes, brushing teeth, and personal hygiene. Alternatively, soap and toothpaste only contribute a little to the hygiene experience: use plain water for hygiene, while wearing the clothes, and drip dry.

#248544 - 07/14/12 05:32 PM Re: how do you fix the issue smelly armpit in the wild [Re: comms]
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: comms
I'd rather have a armpit smelling trail partner than a dragon breath partner.

And +1 on the deodorant crystal stone.

where do you find deodorant crystal stone? I never heard of it.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.