Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#248440 - 07/12/12 07:14 PM Re: Unrestrained objects in car during collision [Re: Mark_R]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Comms, was this the thread you were thinking of?

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=164060&page=1

Dagny, the CRV has four tie down anchors (D-rings) in the cargo area. I have a pair of milk crates zip tied together and paracorded to the forward pair of anchors. The reasoning is they are too far forward to get booted by the lift gate in a rear collision, and the seatback will (hopefully) prevent the fire extinguisher (also attached to the paracord) from getting launched over the seats in a front collision.

I have a seatback organizer, but I'm not counting on it retaining small objects in a collision. I only use it for maps and sun shade.

A little tacticool (and $$$) for my tastes, but it looks really good for small object containment

http://zulunylongear.com/visor.html

Edited by Mark_R (07/12/12 07:15 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#248475 - 07/13/12 02:22 AM Re: Unrestrained objects in car during collision [Re: Mark_R]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
That was exactly the thread thanks Mark.

#248491 - 07/13/12 01:17 PM Re: Unrestrained objects in car during collision [Re: Mark_R]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Great info, most of my stuff is secured behind the seat of my regular cab pickup, my SAK is always secured in my pocket, but I don't carry a window punch per se. I should look into that.

DW's van on the other hand is loaded with junk. Need to talk to her about this and help her get it all cleared out this weekend.

Mark, if the SAK and the window punch are all you want to keep at hand, could you put those on a carabiner clip and clip it on your person when you get in the car, and un-clip it when you get out? Not really sure how practical this would be. Or maybe clip it to the car somewhere that is secure yet still close at hand? I am not familiar with the Honda CRV so this is all I can say. For other gear that doesn't need to be close at hand, secure it in a container and secure the container to the car (such as in a tote that is then secured via bungee cords or cargo nets). Hope you find a solution that works and thanks for the reminder about unsecured objects in the car becoming a danger in an accident.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.