Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#249219 - 07/30/12 04:08 PM Re: Planning for a 911 Outage [Re: MostlyHarmless]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Here is an account of a pertinent incident. Sometimes we do indeed win...

Yellowstone National Park (ID,MT,WY)
Visitor’s Life Saved Through Effective EMS Response

Dispatcher Martha Downing received a 911 call on the evening of July 19th reporting that a 67-year-old man had collapsed in the RV park at Fishing Bridge. The man’s wife had witnessed the collapse and quickly began CPR; she also began pounding on the walls of the trailer to gain the attention of people in neighboring campsites. The neighbor who responded was a member of an ambulance company who carried an automated external defibrillator (AED) on his travels and administered multiple shocks.

Law enforcement ranger Morgan Leech, park medic Eric Amundson, paramedics Trenton Harper and Ben Dowdy, and SCA John Hinshaw were among the park’s first responders. They provided ALS interventions and were able to restore a pulse. The man was transported to the Lake Clinic and taken by life flight to Eastern Idaho Medical Center. Prior to departing Lake Clinic, he was alert and talking, and the initial report was that he would have no apparent deficits.

A good lesson to take away is that early CPR and AEDs work. The man was not breathing and his heart was not beating on its own for close to twenty minutes.
[Submitted by Bonnie Schwartz, Deputy Chief Ranger]

#249412 - 08/03/12 01:18 AM Re: Planning for a 911 Outage [Re: bacpacjac]
THIRDPIG Offline
Journeyman

Done cpr idk 200 times ? I can count on one hand folks who came back and lived. 99% needing crp are old with years of health issues,not going to happen.

Now a young healthy person, IF it is witnessed, and crp started right away and defib soon after ya got a chance. My BC saved a guy at the gym, as well as my crew at a gym kinda. That place is always full of DR's and the head cardiac surgeon from a heart hospital started to work on him with in seconds. ..

Look I worked a few wind storms and the FD ( we got 20 co's)was backed up HOURS, just due to some limbs and wires down.

One blizzard we could not get through, trucks got stuck or blocked by stuck cars and trucks. Car fires burned themselves out before we could ever get near . We ran out of o2 before the ambulance crew ( after getting stuck and walking) could make it in.

I recommend good life and home insurance .

Numbers to our firehouses are not given out as folks would call the wrong ones,or we would be out and that wastes time .You can use the pull box out front then if were out another co. will be dispatched to that firehouse.Also at times of widespread emergency at least one rig per house would be parked out front,to make it noticable.

But in cities folks seem to know where are .

Edited by THIRDPIG (08/03/12 01:27 AM)

#249425 - 08/03/12 04:26 AM Re: Planning for a 911 Outage [Re: bacpacjac]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Done cpr idk 200 times ? I can count on one hand folks who came back and lived. 99% needing crp are old with years of health issues,not going to happen.
========================================

Ive done a ton of CPR in ICU so better outcomes.But in the major play,most ICU care is end of life care and pretty pointless IMO.

Ive lived a good live,dont want to struggle for every last breath at whatever costs involved,Im prepared to make a peaceful dignified (comfort measures) exit when my number gets punched.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.