The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#248389 - 07/12/12 05:15 AM Choosing MY knife
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I mentioned on another thread that before making my recent purchase of a new knife that I had come up with a set of criteria of what I was looking for in a knife. I was asked to share this criteria, so that's where this post comes in smile.

First off I should say, this criteria was developed over time and changed as I considered the options out there. I had started playing with the idea of replacing my current knife after last summer so this is the culmination of my thinking on the subject.

The roles I were looking for this knife to fill were those of general camp knife and primary wilderness knife. It's the sheath knife I will be carrying while hiking, camping & backpacking. I wanted a knife that was strong and capable enough that I could rely on alone if forced to (like an emergency situation when hiking) but with the understanding that it would be complimented by the appropriate tools, like a saw and hatchet, in planned situations (like camping).

Frankly, I think most of my important criteria came directly from Doug Ritter's information here.

The following may not describe the ideal knife, but it describes MY ideal knife given what I know today smile. That said, this is what I was looking for:

A 4" (or so) blade. This is one of those criteria I change my mind about a few times. My original inclination was to look for something in the 4.5" to 6" range but after seeing so many good designs around the 4" mark I started reconsidering and ultimately came to the conclusion that I really hadn't found a situation where a 4" blade was insufficient.

Single plain edge, with no saw back and preferably no false edges.

Drop or spearpoint blade for strength. For grind I was really considering flat, sabre or scandi grind. I definitely thought convex would fit my needs, but was a bit wary about my ability to sharpen & maintain one.

Full tang construction, preferably with an extended tang or possibly a solid pommel.

Blade thickness greater than 1/8" for both general durability in an emergency as well as for added confidence for batoning during regular use.

Stainless steel blade, but preferably a steel that still holds a good edge. One of the reasons I was uncomfortable with carbon steel was that I also planned on using the knife for food prep while camping; another was I simply didn't want to have to think about blade care to the degree I feel a good carbon blade deserves.

A half guard for safety (more for emergency situations than normal use).

Reasonable weight. I didn't really have a fixed weight in mind, but I figured knives like the Becker Companion (one knife that gets great reviews) were heavier than I wanted to go.

For grip material, I was leaning towards man-made materials. While I really appreciate the look & feel of wood and bone handles, I felt the various man-made materials could be beneficial both for their gripiness and low-maintenance aspects (similar to the SS v. carbon decision).

I also wanted a good sheath. I was again leaning towards man made materials, preferring the low-maintenance and improved all-weather performance aspects. I was also interested in multiple mounting options (like the ESEE sheaths for example).

Finally, for cost, I really didn't want to break the $200 mark and was trying to stay under $150 if possible.

Based on all of this, I ended up with a Fallkniven F1 with the Zytel sheath:

I used this knife for the first time during a camping trip last week and it performed extremely well; I am very satisfied.

Obviously I ended up not getting exactly what I thought I was looking for, and there are some features of the knife that I decided would be beneficial but weren't a part of my original criteria (like the hidden tang), but working through the criteria I came up with certainly helped me narrow down the multitude of options out there and helped me select a knife that I believe will do everything I need and want it to do.

#248392 - 07/12/12 06:06 AM Re: Choosing MY knife [Re: Denis]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
I copied you (but not blindly) and got an F1 a couple days ago. Your mentioning it in various posts got me to seriously check them out. Nice knife. Very "plain" and functional, solid, balanced. Suits my hand size, etc. etc., you know the rest of the good stuff.

I have been too embarassed to ask how to tie it around my leg properly, it seemed like such an obvious thing. Google didn't help, I guess because I called the thong thing a thong, you can imagine lol. I've never had a sheath with a tie point before. But I'll ask here since you seem to do it. The problem I have is when I sit or crouch down, then the thong is too tight. If I loosen it up, then it doesn't do its job when I'm walking. Maybe I'm just not doing it at all right, or misunderstand its purpose (to keep the sheath from swinging/moving?).

#248395 - 07/12/12 06:21 AM Re: Choosing MY knife [Re: Denis]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The F1 is a very nice knife! I have one myself.

#248402 - 07/12/12 12:20 PM Re: Choosing MY knife [Re: cfraser]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Denis-handsome knife and sheath, full featured, but simple: well done.
Cfraser: Charitably, tie-downs provide a means for securing the sheath to a backpack, packbasket, land rover cockpit, whatever. Less charitably, leg-ties provide an element of tactical coolness, a gunslinger look. IMHO, belts are awkward places to carry belt knives, canteens, handgun holsters and flashlights, a bother justified only by necessity in combat and law enforcement/security scenarios. YMMV.

...and if I wear my knife on my belt, how will I carry my sword?

Edited by nursemike (07/12/12 12:21 PM)
Edit Reason: humility

#248423 - 07/12/12 05:11 PM Re: Choosing MY knife [Re: Denis]
barbarian Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
I think the way you selected a knife, based on its practicality, to meet your specific needs, was very intelligent.

I often see other folks (hikers & campers) carrying knives that are..... let's call them sub-optimal. Most any knife will do in a pinch, but there are some areas of use, that a purpose-designed blade will excell in.

I coundn't say, off-hand, just how many outdoorsmen/women I've seen carrying knives with deep, concave grinds, sharpened cutting edges on the blade's spine, or beautiful figured maple handles. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with any of those things. When simply cutting cord or carving wood one probably wouldn't notice anything, but there is a blatantly noticable difference in the amount of effort required to baton wood with an overly-thick, concave-ground or saber ground blade, as compared with a high or fully-flat ground blade of appropriate thickness, just as an example.

In my opinion, a polished wood or bone handle is far more aesthetically pleasing, than one made of man-made material, but a knife handle made of canvas micarta, or G-10 will last much longer under frequent use.

Beyond a certain point, details become a matter of preference (blade length, scandi-grind, etc.) but generally speaking, design has an appreciable effect. There are variables to consider when choosing a knife that best fits your needs, and that's really all I'm saying.

#248433 - 07/12/12 06:46 PM Re: Choosing MY knife [Re: barbarian]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
I have an F1 and couldn't be happier with the knife. They put a lot of time and thought into the design. No frills, all function.
I was so happy I ended up getting the H1 (same knife, slightly different blade) and a couple of WM 1 knives as well. Sometimes the F1is just a little large. I can't recommend the WM1 highly enough either.

Sharpening a convex grind knife takes a little getting used to however. I would recommend the DC 4 sharpener if you are in the market. It's designed specifically for fallkniven blades. Cheap stones don't work so well on high end steel.

#248444 - 07/12/12 07:48 PM Re: Choosing MY knife [Re: cfraser]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: cfraser
I have been too embarassed to ask how to tie it around my leg properly, it seemed like such an obvious thing. Google didn't help, I guess because I called the thong thing a thong, you can imagine lol. I've never had a sheath with a tie point before. But I'll ask here since you seem to do it. The problem I have is when I sit or crouch down, then the thong is too tight. If I loosen it up, then it doesn't do its job when I'm walking. Maybe I'm just not doing it at all right, or misunderstand its purpose (to keep the sheath from swinging/moving?).

I don't know the designer's intent of the holes, but as nursemike said, I think they are just there to provide some additional mounting options. I've read some who have suggested using those holes so the F1 can be carried as a neck knife, though it seems a bit large for that to me.

For myself, I haven't used them to secure the sheath around my thigh, I simply carry it hanging from my belt like any other sheath knife. What you see in the picture is a simple paracord wrap with the 2 ends of the cord threaded through the holes & tied off (I have about 6 1/2 feet of cord there). I like the idea of leveraging the sheath to carry some extra "survival" items, and this was my first attempt at that.

#248445 - 07/12/12 07:52 PM Re: Choosing MY knife [Re: Stephen]
Denis Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Stephen
Sharpening a convex grind knife takes a little getting used to however. I would recommend the DC 4 sharpener if you are in the market. It's designed specifically for fallkniven blades. Cheap stones don't work so well on high end steel.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried sharpening it yet; after 3 days use camping it's still pretty darn sharp.

The other method I was considering trying out is the mouse pad & sandpaper method I've read about elsewhere or even just using an old leather belt as a strop to touch it up (I still have some research to do about this!).

#248449 - 07/12/12 08:08 PM Re: Choosing MY knife [Re: Denis]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Informative thread, guys! Thanks! I really appreciate the tip on the DC4.

#248450 - 07/12/12 08:13 PM Re: Choosing MY knife [Re: Denis]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Denis,

You may find the initial factory edge chips out a little ( very fine) but after sharpening a few times it reduces. Not sure why that is but a lot of others have noticed the same thing.

The mouse pad method takes a bit of skill to master. If you push too hard you can easily fold your edge over or even make the edge round ( thus duller) without noticing. I thought my F1 was a POS that wouldn't take an edge until if figured it was my fault and not the knifes. After a lot of cursing and swearing I got it right and now prefer a convex edge above all others.

Look up a "hoodoo hone" online and it will detail a very good method to sharpen a convex edge as well. Easy to make, works like a charm but best suited to at home bench sharpening depending on how light you like to travel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 407 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.