The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#248273 - 07/10/12 05:57 PM Requesting opinions: Leatherman Blast multi-tool
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have a Leatherman Wave (original model) that I like, but now I am wanting a second multi-tool so that I can stash one permanenty in my BOB while having another for EDC. I was thinking of a Leatherman Blast. It is significantly cheaper than buying another Wave and it appears to have a decent selection of tools available. Does anyone have any comments good or bad about the Blast?

I don't know which of the multi-tools would end up being the one stashed in my BOB yet. Probably the Wave, because it doesn't have locking tools (except for the sharp blades). I have had a few occassions where the screwdrivers collapsed on me in use (that is NOT fun if you are pressing down firmly on the screw being turned!) I figure the BOB multi-tool would see very infrequent use so I could live with the non-locking tools of the Wave. But I haven't made a final decision yet.

#248276 - 07/10/12 06:54 PM Re: Requesting opinions: Leatherman Blast multi-tool [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The new (post 2004) Wave has all locking bits. Believe me when I tell you that the tool you keep in your BOB should have this feature -- you don't want to be busting your knuckles or worse during an emergency.

The Blast is a low-end model. I'm not a big fan of the plastic liners, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem with it.

#248283 - 07/10/12 08:14 PM Re: Requesting opinions: Leatherman Blast multi-tool [Re: haertig]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I got a Leatherman Wingman for a present. Been carrying it ever since. No sheath, a pocket clip instead. Has enough tools to do small easy stuff. Way cheaper than Wave/Blast too. This is my 9th or 10th Leatherman - started way back with the original.

Consider this for EDC and the Wave for the BoB.

#248284 - 07/10/12 08:18 PM Re: Requesting opinions: Leatherman Blast multi-tool [Re: haertig]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Get a Rebar, it's the new better all metal version of blast.

#248286 - 07/10/12 08:35 PM Re: Requesting opinions: Leatherman Blast multi-tool [Re: jzmtl]
codyjack Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: jzmtl

Sorry, but I would advise against a multitool with blades that are not accessible from the outside, but only by folding the whole thing open.

I have the new and locking Wave and I absolutely love it.

#248287 - 07/10/12 08:43 PM Re: Requesting opinions: Leatherman Blast multi-tool [Re: codyjack]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: codyjack
Sorry, but I would advise against a multitool with blades that are not accessible from the outside, but only by folding the whole thing open.

It depends on what you need. I prefer my ST300 for some situations, particularly when I already have a folding knife that opens one-handed.

Quote:
I have the new and locking Wave and I absolutely love it.

In my opinion it comes closest to the Platonic ideal of a multitool.

#248288 - 07/10/12 08:56 PM Re: Requesting opinions: Leatherman Blast multi-tool [Re: jzmtl]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: jzmtl

+1 on the rebar.
If you take your budget as being the cost of one Wave/Charge, then buy the rebar and use the remaining cash to buy a Mora or three.

For all it's qualities the Wave is basically a knife with a pair of pliers attached.

#248292 - 07/10/12 10:18 PM Re: Requesting opinions: Leatherman Blast multi-tool [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
OTOH, if you already have a knife, having a back-up buried inside a LM Supertool 300 is not a big deal.

#248295 - 07/10/12 11:28 PM Re: Requesting opinions: Leatherman Blast multi-tool [Re: haertig]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I'm still considering buying a second multi-tool for my BOB, but I'm now also considering just going with standard tools. Multi-tools are always a compromise. They make up for that by having things handy and readily available - for when you have nothing better to use.

I'm thinking maybe a 6" pair of needlenose, a screwdriver with multiple bits stored in the handle, a Mora Clipper, and a P-51 can opener might be a cheaper and better replacement for a new multi-tool. Especially since I already have spares of all that stuff laying around unused - so my cost would be zilch. Standard tools would take up slightly more space and weigh just a tad more than a Leatherman, but not enough to worry about really.

I starting thinking about standard tools instead of a new multi-tool when I began analyzing what I have actually used on my current Wave to help decide what I might want on a new model. Pliers, yes. Screwdrivers, yes. The plain edge knife, yes (only if my pocket knife wasn't readily available - very rare). But that's it. Never used the serrated blade, the file, the saw, the can/bottle opener, the scissors, ... That analysis made me wonder why I was even considering a multi-tool for my BOB at all.

Still haven't decided one way or the other. I'm just speaking my thought processes out loud in this post.

#248296 - 07/11/12 12:08 AM Re: Requesting opinions: Leatherman Blast multi-tool [Re: haertig]
powerring Offline

The Blast is very similar to a Wave in terms of the available tools, just in a different configuration. The Rebar is basically a downsized SuperTool 300 (neither has scissors unfortunately).

Any of those four are durable, quality tools and would be suitable for a BOB, in my opinion, as long as they meet your feature requirements. I actually own all four.

I think if I were on a desert island, I might want the SuperTool 300 because it's the biggest, strongest multitool of the bunch. For everyday use the Wave is unique in terms of the one handed opening and the bit holder.

Consider the Victorinox Sprit X and the Gerber 400 Compact Sport also.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.