The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#248150 - 07/07/12 11:43 PM Re: Cell phone GPS [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I find Google Maps on my Android phone to be perfectly adequate for around town (Denver metro area). Much better than my dedicated GPS (a VERY old Garmin V - basically unuseable by todays standards). For hiking, my wife got me a Garmin model that attaches to my wrist and I love that thing. But it's for hiking needs, not road navigation. Two days ago my wife and I went to the Denver Zoo, a long established and well defined route from our house. We turned on both my Android with Google Maps and her iPhone with some Verizon map thing so that we could see how traffic was up ahead. The Verizon map thing looked nicer on the display, but its traffic reporting capabilities were beneath Google Maps. Plus, when we got right next to the zoo, the Verizon maps wanted to turn us off in the opposite direction. And we were right there at the zoo entrance already. At least Google Mpas recognized the big drive that said "Zoo, this way!" as the correct way to go. Not so the iPhone/Verizon software.

#248201 - 07/09/12 01:59 PM Re: Cell phone GPS [Re: haertig]
Patriot_RAM Offline
Stranger

Loc: U.S.A.
I use the TomTom app on my iPhone and it works great when the cell network is unavailable. Unlike the iPhone maps and some other GPS mapping apps that rely on the ability to download maps real-time, TomTom has the maps stored in the phone memory. Admittedly, it isn't going to do topos, etc, but it'll get you around as long as the satellites are still there! smile

On a side note -- One thing I like about the iPhone "maps" app is that if you zoom in very close on the "map view", it will show you the county property lines and is usually accurate within several feet. Great for knowing what piece of land you're on!

#248214 - 07/09/12 04:59 PM Re: Cell phone GPS [Re: Patriot_RAM]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
There are plenty of GPS mapping applications available on the smartphone market. Many of them will easily beat any modern standalone solution in terms of usability, convenience and features, even without data connection available. The problem with them is the smart phone itself. It has limited battery life, not rugged enough, its GPS antenna is tiny, and it is prone to software crashes and weird glitches.

It is possible to overcome most of that by selecting a good field smart phone in the first place. Forget the iPhone. Get Android. My personal choice is Motorola Razr Maxx on Verizon network ( just as an example of a good choice: large battery, OLED screen, rugged case). Then add Otterbox Defender case, buy a decent external battery with USB port (and perhaps a solar panel), refrain from "playing with apps" on your phone (or at least be observant for "bad" applications and make backups often). To overcome weak antenna issues - get an external BT GPS receiver module (e.g. Holux, providing 20 hr of battery time).

#248245 - 07/10/12 05:18 AM Re: Cell phone GPS [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
I have been quite surprised at how effective of a navigation tool an iPad or iPhone can be. To date the only limitations I have noticed is the rechargeable battery, but in the many circumstances with the right software I actually prefer the iPhone or iPad to a standalone “real” GPS.

One of the most common concerns I hear about the iPhone is in regard to its durability. But, the right case can solve that (OtterBox or Lifecase).

The key to making the iPhone a usable GPS unit in the field is the right software. I use a number of different programs depending on what I am doing. All of these programs allow maps to be downloaded and stored directly on the iPhone. GaiaGPS($9.99), GPSKit($9.99), and PDF Maps(Free).

GaiaGPS is probably the best GPS application for most users, and all indications are that it is only going to become more versatile with future updates. GaiaGPS allows you to download maps in a number of formats and import (and export) GPX and KML files. When downloading map files you not only choose the area you want but also the zoom level to customize the file to your needs and available space. I have tried a number of GPS/Map applications (47 to be exact) looking for the best one. GaiaGPS is the best GPS application for backcountry navigation I have found.

GPSKit is a close second to GaiaGPS, but the GaiaGPS’ greater (and simpler) map options give the advantage over GPSKit. That being said, GPSKit is a slightly better application for working with KML and GPX files, and I still use it when I am working with very large GPX or KML files. GPSKit does have some features GaiaGPS doesn’t have; A dashboard screen (that is similar to the Garmin’s Trip Computer screen) “Squak mode” which allows you to share your location and other information with other GPSKit users (I haven’t tried this feature).

PDF Maps is a free application, and actually pretty limited (compared to GaiaGPS of GPSKit) in what you can use it for. However, it has one feature that makes it an absolute must have (especially since it is free). PDF Maps is simply a reader for GeoPDF files, with a few navigation tools added. GeoPDF are PDF maps coded with location data. You can download these directly from the built in “store” in PDF Maps (many of the maps are free) or from USGS’ website and many National Forest websites. The navigation functions are more limited but is does allow you to mark waypoints, import KML files, Geo-code photos (which the iPhone does already) and import and export KML and GPX files. I primarily use this app to view the GeoPDF maps at wildland fires.

I do still use my “real” GPS units, but find myself doing so less and less. With portable solar charges and smaller and lighter battery packs becoming available, the iPhone will only become more usable in the field as a GPS unit. The battery life isn’t really that bad as it is, with normal settings (everything on) my iPhone 4 will run for more than 24 hours with my normal level of usage. If I am using it as a GPS in the backcountry I set it to Airplane mode (the GPS still works in this mode), in this configuration using GaiaGPS for tracking I have been able to track for over 5 hours and still have well over half my battery life remaining. I have not used the iPhone to track longer than 5 hours.

While still not a replacement for a paper map and compass, the iPhone is starting to replace my “real” GPS units more and more.

Edited by Alan_Romania (07/12/12 02:06 AM)

#248272 - 07/10/12 05:54 PM Re: Cell phone GPS [Re: Alan_Romania]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Many outstanding comments and advice.

Thank you,

Blake

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

#248278 - 07/10/12 07:17 PM Re: Cell phone GPS [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Fabio Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brasília, Brazil
I do not count on my Iphone as primary navigation aid, but I have to admit that it “saved the day” in more than a few situations. I have tried some navigation Apps, and the MotionX is the one that I liked most. With this application you can download maps and satellite imagery from some sources, including Google earth imagery.

What I usually do is navigate in the Iphone App around the area I will travel, to download the google satellite images to the buffer memory. So, I can have the images even without cell phone signal, what happens a lot around I usually hike.

When hiking, I always keep the Iphone in “flight mode” and only switch to normal operation when I need a GPS fix or want to check the satellite images. In flight mode the battery last for days without recharging.

Edited by Alan_Romania (07/12/12 02:04 AM)
Edit Reason: fixed link

#248355 - 07/11/12 10:49 PM Re: Cell phone GPS [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas

#248412 - 07/12/12 02:40 PM Re: Cell phone GPS [Re: jshannon]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
That is great info. Super link. Many thanks.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.biz
www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

#250990 - 09/15/12 06:22 PM Re: Cell phone GPS [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Bump.

Question for you guys that have used multiple smartphone navigation apps. I have decent GPS skills but get lost in the terms and meaning companies give for what their units or software can do.

Which apps allows BOTH in and out of cell tower range, the ability to plug in a coordinate (specifically Lat/Long and UTM)and then give distance, direction, data like a dedicated GPS?

It just seems to me reading all the app pages and editorials that if your out of cellservice using a cached map smartphone navigation app, that you can not plug in a coordinate and create a route for it. Everything has to be a waypoint done while the phone is in cell range.

I do a lot of training where I am given coordinates and have to get there, like in orienteering events and those are mostly done in areas with no cell service. And even in urban environments, I find my current crop of nav apps lacking in the ability to plug in a grid coord and go there. They have to be a POI or street address.

#251089 - 09/19/12 06:58 PM Re: Cell phone GPS [Re: comms]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
My short answer: I'm using the free "GPS Essentials" app on my Android Phone for what you want. No opinion for the iPhone, most likely again: "Because you don't need that".

A bit longer:
Sure thing, if you are using the cloud based app (like preinstalled Google Maps) on your phone - most of its functionality is implemented on the server, not in the phone app, which is just a web browser tailored to the task.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.