Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#248216 - 07/09/12 05:37 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
[DELETE]

#248217 - 07/09/12 05:55 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: Russ]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
First off, I'm a fan of the Gerber Infinity (I keep a couple in my kit) but I'm not sure it's that great a choice if this is going to be the BOB or EDC flashlight. With today's LED technology, the venerable Infinity is kind of stuck in this awkward middle ground now--it's a bit big for the amount of light it can generate, and it's also not very bright at all.

For EDC, it's a bit big for pants pocket carry (at least to me). There are a lot of good 1xAAA lights that can go brighter or can last a good long time (the ever popular Fenix E01 is one example, or my EDC, the E05) and are very unobtrusive in your pocket. For a BOB, it's a decent choice for a long running 1xAA light in dark conditions, but you don't have the option of going brighter with it.

I think we've gotten quite spoiled by how bright a single AA/AAA light can go now but if you think you might need the extra output, it's nice to have the option while still having a long running low mode. Well, it really depends on the kinds of situations you think you might be using it in.

#248219 - 07/09/12 06:24 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: ireckon]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Is there somewhere to buy O-rings for Fenix flashlights? I want to buy the LD15, but I don't want the flashlight to become useless to me if I break an O-ring that costs a nickle. I know: the O-ring has never broken on your flashlight. Anyway, I'd feel better if I had spares.

Fenix includes a replacement o-ring. I strongly suspect that they are of a standard metric size.

#248232 - 07/09/12 11:04 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: chaosmagnet]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
[DELETE]

#248233 - 07/09/12 11:52 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
If you are looking at an AAA light on the high end look at the ARC AAA.It runs in the $40.00 range.I consider the Fenix EO1 a clone of the ARC AAA.I've had mine over five years and the hard anodizing isn't even worn.This is my EDC and my Gerber Infinity is coat pocket carry....

BOATMAN
John

#248235 - 07/10/12 12:15 AM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: boatman]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: boatman
I've had mine over five years and the hard anodizing isn't even worn.

I've carried my ARC AAA LED light attached to my keychain with a pile of keys every day since the end of 2005 - 6.5 years - and it looks exactly like it did the day I got it. Its one tough light.

Now I do have to say that I was concerned about damaging the LED "bulb" in my pocket so I bought a plastic tube end-cap that almost slide over the tip of the Arc and then I sanded it down until is slide over the tip without much force. That worked well ... but I don't know if it was necessary.

#248237 - 07/10/12 12:48 AM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Related question to the OP's question.

Anyone have any hands on experience with the Klarus line of flashlights? I am assembling a BOB/GHB for my SO for when she takes on a temporary contract in late August that will place her about 160 miles from home for about 2 months.

John Lubbock

#248241 - 07/10/12 03:06 AM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: Arney]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am a Gerber Ultra Infinity fan, as well, although there are more sophisticated lights available these days. I am very happy with a recently purchased Zebra Light H502, a bright, minimalist headlamp which can be easily converted to hand carry, but I hang onto my Ultra Infinities. They are cheap and durable, with a very good run-time. The light I carry typically is influenced by the other electronics involved; I much prefer to be able to swap batteries among the gadgets I am carrying.

Although the Ultra Infinity is no longer cutting edge, if you have one you will be well served, and very enlightened. For light and bright EDC, I often go with a Fenix LD01, with a lithium battery installed, and another carried as a spare. I wouldn't hesitate to use one on an all night hike, if necessary. My Infinity Ultras could accomplish the same task, as well.

Edited by hikermor (07/10/12 03:09 AM)

#248254 - 07/10/12 12:16 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: Teslinhiker]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Anyone have any hands on experience with the Klarus line of flashlights?

They're a relatively new manufacturer. I don't own any Klarus lights but Selfbuilt seems to have good things to say about them.

#248289 - 07/10/12 09:02 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
What I like about the Gerber Infinity and the like is no moving parts to wear out.Well at least no clicky tail switch that is.I have had terrible luck with tail switches.They seemto break at the time I need it most.I do not need a dozen different levels of brightness to work through.When I need light,give me all you got.Twist on-light,Twist off-no light.Keep It Stupid Simple....

BOATMAN
John

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.