Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#247760 - 06/30/12 05:45 PM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: Stephen]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Stephen
Originally Posted By: hikermor

Frankly, I would not put a lot of emphasis on flintknapping as a survival skill.

I wouldn't either, but the same could be said of traditional firemaking. Some people just enjoy it as a hobby as opposed to a critical survival skill.

Au contraire, mon ami! By contrast, building a fire is a bedrock, absolutely necessary, fundamental survival skill. If by traditional, you mean a non industrial (i.e., no match, lighter, etc) but flint and steel, bow drill, etc. and natural tinder, I suppose it might be a peripheral kind of pastime. But you never know when a hobby might be useful....

#247762 - 06/30/12 06:06 PM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: hikermor]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Well yes, learning to light a fire is essential. I guess I worded that poorly. By traditional I meant with hand drill, steel and flint.
Although certainly nice to know, there is no excuse to be in the woods these days without proper modern firemaking equipment.

#247771 - 06/30/12 08:40 PM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: Stephen]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It might be worth noting that groups that lit fires using pre-industrial, matchless methods of creating fire often kept fires going for long periods and frequently developed techniques for carrying hot coals along with them when moving camp. Building a fire was not a trivial or an easy task under normal conditions.

#247928 - 07/03/12 08:05 PM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: freeballer]
freeballer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: nb, Canada
I don't have much locally for museums but who knows? I can see someone who's seen intricate flintknapping, like myself, and wondered how its done. Definitely a highly skilled art. For now, to find the pathfinder video and maybe I can hit up google for other videos..

Its an interesting debate here. Traditional skills like firemaking I think are interchangeable with survival. While I agree with Stephen and I keep mostly all modern firemaking tools I still know (basic) flint/bow. I had even toyed with getting a "flint and steel" set - just for entertainment purposes mostly.

obsidian as I understand can be sharper than some blades and used in myan "swords" because it would flake off and bury itself in the opponents skin. Nasty! I think being in canada too, my best bet is obsidian from out west. It'd be nice to have enough skill to make a basic sharp edge if needed and try to learn the skill as a hobby/skill.

#247934 - 07/03/12 10:26 PM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: freeballer]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
I ended up with one of those old school steel horseshoe steel flint thing-a-giggys as a gift. Really hard to use on a good day let alone when the weather is not playing along. In the old days, I am assuming people were so darned good at it because there just wasn't any other option.

I am willing to bet if I could travel back in time and trade my lighter with one of the early pioneers they wouldn't refuse. After all, the reason no one uses bowdrills, steels and the like anymore is because we invented something a hell of a lot better. Lighters, matches and the like are just to easy to acquire and use to not have some on hand, plus a modern type firesteel JIC everything else gets wet.

But, that being said. There are some who still do it for fun, nostalgia, hobby or other reasons (althought I am willing to bet anyone who takes a bowdrill into the woods still has a ligter stashed away somewhere)

Ray Mears has a lot of good watching/reading with the more primitave arts. A lot can be found on youtube.

#247939 - 07/03/12 11:48 PM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: Stephen]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
oetzi was carrying one or two birchbark containers insulated with leaves and holding an ember from his last fire. there was evidence that he had previously carried pyrites, which will spark with flint. Oetzi used the best technology available-copper axe, imported flint, carefully selected plant products for each application. If oetzi wanted something easier than flint and iron pyrites, I do, too.

#248078 - 07/07/12 12:34 AM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: freeballer]
freeballer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: nb, Canada
feros rods and new flints are definitely a world appart. I keep a large firesteel in every kit except my edc. Its even good for just starting a campfire or small bbq.

They'd have ot be out of their mind to refuse a nice zippo lighter or butane lol
There's something to be said about a flint/bow.. Maybe I like to collect odd skills. (I happen to also like knife throwing, and lock picking).

Yes! Les Stroud (Survivorman), or Bear Grylls made a tinder bundle (I think that was the term) and kept his fire going from one camp to the next. If I remember he either was too tired or it was too late to make a new fire anyways (through bow/flint like he usually does). Thank you for that article nurseMike, I definitely enjoyed reading of oetzi life and tech. Thank you Stephen, someone mentioned Ray Mears to me a while back in a game I play but couldn't remember his name....
I think I'm going to download some shows tonight lol

#248183 - 07/08/12 10:43 PM Re: other skills; flintknapping, bowyers, ancient tech [Re: nursemike]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Oetzi used the best technology available-copper axe

Sounds like Oetzi had been to Bronze Orientation Day.. laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EGAtLGDU7M

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.