Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#248151 - 07/07/12 11:47 PM Zebra Billy Can - Mini Review
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I returned from an 8 day trip and before I returned home, I had a chance get some pics of the Zebra 12 cm Billy Can. These cans were made very popular via Ray Mears and his various TV series over the years. I previously had one of these cans, however last year my SO's niece took a shine to it and so I gifted it to her. Recently I picked up a another 12 cm can and made good use of it over the last week.

These cans are stainless steel materials and are well constructed. They also can take a beating (fire wise, see below)
The specs on the 12 cm Billy Can:

Liquid capacity without dish: 1.4L
Height: 14 cm (excluding handle)
weight 550 grams.

The basic can. The plastic tabs on the can serve to lock the handle and lid together. These tabs are also easily removed when you need to put the can directly over or on a fire. The included dish could be a useful for some, however it can be removed to make more storage room for other items.

A MSR fuel cannister and MSR Pocket Rocket stove and Mini BIC fit with room for a few other smaller items in the can itself or in the lid.

As seen in the above picture, the dish protudes slightly, however once the lid is locked into place, there is enough pressure to slightly push the dish down and allow the lid to completely close.

At 12 cm, the can fits perfectly on the MSR Stove and is just as stable, if not more so then my Primus Litech pot.

The night before, I tested the stove in a hot fire.(Notice that the plastic tabs are removed). After about 45 minutes of direct fire immersion, the can was none the worse for wear which is to be expected of the thick SS construction.

At 550 grams, the Zebra Billy Can is a bit heavy as compared to other similar sized products, however the SS material and design of the can makes it almost bomb proof regardless if one chooses to backpack or take it on a canoe trip. What I do like about this can is the flexibility of the handle which also allows the can to be hung over a fire if needed. This feature is something I sorely miss with the Primus Litech pot. I have another week long solo trip coming up next month so time will tell if this can is to be my new main method of food/water heating duties.

John Lubbock

#248154 - 07/08/12 02:12 AM Re: Zebra Billy Can - Mini Review [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Nice features, but awfully heavy...What is the typical cost?

#248156 - 07/08/12 02:47 AM Re: Zebra Billy Can - Mini Review [Re: hikermor]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I paid $29.00 for mine. However I have seen this size can at $25.00 to 35.00 depending on where you shop online etc.

Yes the can is heavy but for my requirements, the features outweigh (no pun intended) the extra weight involved. Not that I am a weight weenie by any means, however I don't think that I will have much use for the dish so that will save a few ounces.

John Lubbock

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.