The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#247534 - 06/26/12 06:36 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Most hardcore, really in to it, endurance athletes i know (and that is 100's) will only reach for a Gatorade, et al, out of convenience during a training session or race. Post race re-hydration though most people generally agree, myself included, that Pedialyte delivers a better result than marketed sport drinks at getting electrolytes back into the system.

Just yesterday I was sent a link to a new book by Dr. Tim Noakes, the foremost authority on running in the world. His book is

Waterlogged: The Serious Problem of Overhydration in Endurance Sports
at 429-pages and his level of research it is not light reading but you will find it will set the tone for thinking for the next few years.

A friend of mine who did Ironman New Zealand recently said that they were very concerned with over hydration and advised against it for the individual as well has providing less water stations on the course. End result was they had less cases or hyponatermia (an electrolyte imbalance in the body usually from too much water being put in it)

#247576 - 06/27/12 04:06 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I received the electrolyte tablets mentioned in my earlier post in this thread. I have taken them for the last two days and have not had the leg cramps at night that I often get. It is too soon to draw a definitive conclusion, but they seem to be working for me.

These are much cheaper than sports drinks at $9.95 for 125 doses (two tablets per packet). And you can drink plain water for hydration. As a diabetic I can't drink all the sugar laden sports drinks, so this is another plus for me.

Also, they do not contain any sodium. For those of us on low sodium diets this is another advantage.

Since they are just small packets they can easily be placed in first aid kits, survival kits, and pockets.

These tablets contain:

Calcium (from calcium carbonate) 10.64 mg
Potassium (from potassium chloride) 40 mg
Magnesium (from magnesium oxide) 12 mg

The self-life is somewhat over a year. Mine expire 8/13 but I have no way of knowing how long ago these were made. I would expect these chemicals to be quite stable, so I am not sure why the shelf-life is so short. Even if you end up tossing half the box because it reached the expiration, it is still way cheaper than sports drinks.

See the Amazon link in my previous message.

The packets say Medi-Lyte on them. The box says First Aid Only on it.

I am not affiliated with the company that sells this product.

#247582 - 06/27/12 06:27 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
But the tablets don't provide hydration ; ). To me, buying any tablet is a massive waste of money since you can just add a bit of morton's lite salt to your drink of choice. It's not rocket science and you won't die because it's not commercially labeled electrolyte replacement.

#247589 - 06/27/12 07:38 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: nursemike]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Thank for the position paper. There is a lot in it to digest. I have generally tried to remain hydrated, rather than recover from dehydration. I usually prefer diluted Gatorade, supplemented with water. I prefer to have both available, along with salty snacks.

#247591 - 06/27/12 07:47 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
Treeseeker Offline

Quote:
But the tablets don't provide hydration ; ). To me, buying any tablet is a massive waste of money since you can just add a bit of morton's lite salt to your drink of choice.

I didn't mean to imply that it provided hydration, but it does allow you to drink anything you want for hydration. I believe I did mention that you can just drink water.

Morton's Lite Salt may be cheaper, but it still contains sodium and the tablets do not, so the tablets are better for those requiring low sodium. Also, the tablets are only about 8 cents per serving, and Gatoraid (in case quantities) is about $1 per serving, so they are still way cheaper than a sports drink.

Quote:
It's not rocket science and you won't die because it's not commercially labeled electrolyte replacement.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to say. Could you rephrase this?

#247640 - 06/28/12 03:37 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: hikermor]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Electrolyte physiology is complex. Water and glucose are transported across the cell membrane quickly, courtesy of insulin. Potassium and sodium take longer to soak in. Sodium, potassium, and calcium depletion can cause muscle cramps in early stages, and subsequently, seizures, cardiac dysrhythmias, and death. Individual metabolic differences make it difficult to generalize, so doctors do not do so: electrolyte levels are assayed by frequent blood tests, and replacement is done slowly and carefully. Dehydration and elevated lytes levels are equally hazardous. Excessive exertion or injury can flood the body with muscle cell breakdown metabolites, causing kidney failure-I took care of an aging jock who overdid a spinning class and was in the icu for a week with myoglobinuria.

Be careful out there.

#247650 - 06/28/12 08:47 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Treeseeker]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
If you are buying the Gatorade by the bottle it is expensive, however in the powder form it is a lot cheaper. I use G2 which is basically the same as original Gatorade but half the sugar. With original formula, I always diluted with water because I couldn't stand the sweetness.

For use during golfing as an example: I drink one .5 litre bottle of water with one packet of mix before going out. Then drink about another 1 litre of either water or G2 during the 4.5 hour round. (I use that example because it has a typical time window and known amount of exertion for me. Other activities can range from hiking to kayaking to.... and each activity would have different lengths of time, exertion levels and greater variation which means you cannot faithfully predict how much I will need to consume via this forum.)

I don't think you NEED to drink a lot of water during an activity but by taking in a normal amount you might be slightly dehydrated at the end. So what? Your body will stabilize itself by cutting urine output or your natural thirst will tell you to drink more. Either way your not going to be at either extreme.

#247654 - 06/28/12 10:22 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Roarmeister]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A quick question - Are the various new formulation of Gatorade (G1, G2, etc) available in powder form. I have always preferred my G drink in powdered form, but I have never seen the newer varieties in powder in my local stores....

#247655 - 06/28/12 10:56 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The G2 are, I bought some by mistake before.
They are at least in the single sizes.

#247662 - 06/29/12 01:14 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
Treeseeker Offline

Everywhere I have seen the G or G2 powder it is either already expired, or about to expire. Either this stuff has a very short shelf-life or it is not very popular.

I'm not sure why it would have a shorter self-life than the liquid.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.