Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#247673 - 06/29/12 02:12 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I couldn't find the G anywhere, had to order it online. Its "expired" now but still works fine. All the local stores had was G2.
Lady footlocker was where I found it who then sold my name and now I get flyers from other shoe stores, even that scam one called eastbay.

#247679 - 06/29/12 04:01 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: hikermor]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
A quick question - Are the various new formulation of Gatorade (G1, G2, etc) available in powder form. I have always preferred my G drink in powdered form, but I have never seen the newer varieties in powder in my local stores....

There is proably a couple of thousand on-line stores that you can order from, even Amazon and Ebay. Google is your friend. I bought a couple of cases locally last year in 2 flavours. Expiry date - I never noticed and I seriously doubt the efficacy would drop much. Charcoal heaters have an expiry date on them too and I used them YEARS after purchasing without problems.

#247714 - 06/29/12 08:54 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I saw plenty of G2 at kroger today, let me know if you want some, i can't drink the G2, only the G1.

#247719 - 06/29/12 10:41 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
I found a store brand grape juice that does not have added sugar and contains decent potassium. Used it today after biking in 102 heat. It greatly improved the ORS.

I have avoided Kool-Aid and other purely chemical additives. I'm not especially organic, just seems to make more sense to me.

#247729 - 06/30/12 03:35 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
catskillcreeper Offline
Stranger

Hey all, long-time lurker, first-time poster. In my younger days I spent many a summer working outdoors and I am a big-time sweater...and I mean big-time. At the end of the day after I dried out you could see the salt impregnated in my shirt & cap. Disgusting, sure LOL, but it made hydration a topic near and dear to me. I always drank plenty of straight H2O, three, sometimes four liters a day. I also carried a re-hydration formula that always worked for me. Half a liter bottle of water, little less than half OJ with a teaspoon of sugar and two shots of pickle brine. Sounds nasty but really it wasn't half bad and it worked for me. I've always found Gatorade and other sports drinks a tad too sweet to be guzzling very often.

#247731 - 06/30/12 04:36 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Eating a balanced diet eliminates the need for supplements."

I tend to agree that having a good diet probably solves a lot of problems.

but there are some circumstances where these energy drinks and electrolytes are very useful:

1. For arduous types of exercise, such as the people training for triathlons. I just don't think they would come close to meeting requirements (esp. given time between meal and exertion) for essential sodium and potassium. Esp. when training on hot days.

2. I've found myself that when working hard under hot sun (something I avoid these days) that my body also gets an exhaustion lag. And one one these electrolyte drinks helps tremendously.

3. Frankly, as I'm getting older (hate to use that word - but I'm well past midlife crisis :-) ) I have noticed that my metabolism just isn't processing things nearly as fast as it used to when I was young and invincible. It takes more time and planning to get the right amounts of H2O and minerals into my body for workouts. Or else I reach a physical limit pretty quickly sometimes. So the smart use of these drinks can help to avoid some of these imbalances.

just my $0.02

Pete2

#247776 - 06/30/12 09:56 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And sometimes its hard to drop everything your doing and cook a well balanced meal.

The single size Gatorade packets were impossible to find online last summer too. I just saw them in Dickssportinggoods, they are packaged in ziplock baggie type of packages instead of the boxes they were in.

#247798 - 07/01/12 05:23 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I've been drinking Vita Coco for a few yrs now,this stuff is coconut water from young coconuts,there are other decent brands as well.This stuff is the Real Deal for proper hydration & Electrolyte replenishment! Around 15% potassium per serving,Good Stuff! No Affilili w/the above brand!

#247829 - 07/01/12 08:42 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Thanks! I'll look for it around here.

#247860 - 07/02/12 05:38 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
The bulk of my Christmas stocking was Vita Coca drinks. Good stuff. For a prepared stop in my training I use them. When on the go, I still use Hammer Endurolytes.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.