Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#248014 - 07/05/12 05:35 PM Kids' Go Bag
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My three young daughters recently confronted me in a unified group, demanding that I help them build "go bags" for emergencies. I conceded immediately. Here are the contents:

Starting from the top left:
  • Thrunite Ti 1xAAA flashlight (3/60 lumens model)
  • DX "fauxton"
  • Yellow emergency poncho
  • Purell wipes (x4)
  • Sunscreen wipes (x2)
  • Small first aid kit (bandaids and BZK wipes)
  • Mainstay bar
  • Bug repellent wipes (x2)
  • Heatsheets 2-person emergency blanket
  • Fox 40 Micro whistle
  • Laminated emergency contact card (face down under the whistle)
  • Small pack of facial tissue
  • Water bottle (not shown)

I'll probably put the fauxton on the lanyard for the whistle. I'm thinking I could also punch a hole through the edge of the emergency contact card and put that on the lanyard as well.

The girls will be adding a change of clothes, a small toy, and a stuffed animal to each one.

This isn't meant to be a wilderness survival kit, it's meant to be a small, easy to carry kid-specific bugout bag to give each of them a degree of self-sufficiency.

Your thoughts and suggestions most welcome.

#248016 - 07/05/12 06:10 PM Re: Kids' Go Bag [Re: chaosmagnet]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I would add a couple more mainstay bars, just in case.

I like the looks of this. This kit should galvanize their interest in being prepared and boost their self-confidence!

#248024 - 07/05/12 06:48 PM Re: Kids' Go Bag [Re: chaosmagnet]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
How old are the kids?

+1 on adding a comfort item unique to each girl that can ease their mind in a stressful situation.

Add a laminated contact list of people & #s for the girls that they can call or if a someone else finds the bag, allows them to contact the parents to notify them. Keep the bag as light as possible because kids aren't very tolerant of carrying extra weight and are likely to put it down and leave it if it is a burden.
Stitch their name or label each item or add a little flower stick on to decorate things. Situation example: if they are lost/separated and use one of the items and then leave it behind, it helps trackers to know that it was theirs. Also, having their name on it settles arguements between the girls as to what belongs to whom! smile It gives them a sense of "this belongs to me, maybe I should take care of this!"

#248025 - 07/05/12 06:56 PM Re: Kids' Go Bag [Re: chaosmagnet]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
bandana...head covering, towel, ground cloth for head

hard candies

grease pencil so they can leave message on most any surface

spare lithium AAA cell

scissors

section of orange survey tape

chem light

#248026 - 07/05/12 07:02 PM Re: Kids' Go Bag [Re: Roarmeister]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
How old are the kids?

They are 11, 8 and 6. It has not escaped my attention that in seven more years I will have three teenaged girls in the house.

Quote:
Add a laminated contact list of people & #s for the girls that they can call or if a someone else finds the bag, allows them to contact the parents to notify them.

Under the whistle.

Quote:
Keep the bag as light as possible because kids aren't very tolerant of carrying extra weight and are likely to put it down and leave it if it is a burden.

That's why I stuck with a single Mainstay bar. I want them to have something to eat (and all three of them really like Mainstay bars) but as you say I have to keep it reasonably light or they're going to ditch 'em.

My kids get very little candy or other sugary foods, but there's a sesame honey bar that they really like, I could add a couple of those without adding too much weight or making them act like a bunch of ferrets on speed. They also store well.

Quote:
Stitch their name or label each item or add a little flower stick on to decorate things. Situation example: if they are lost/separated and use one of the items and then leave it behind, it helps trackers to know that it was theirs.

That is a really fine idea. I'll break out the label printer for this.

Quote:
Also, having their name on it settles arguements between the girls as to what belongs to whom! smile It gives them a sense of "this belongs to me, maybe I should take care of this!"

True.

#248028 - 07/05/12 07:15 PM Re: Kids' Go Bag [Re: LesSnyder]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
bandana...head covering, towel, ground cloth for head

Bandanas are on the way, I forgot to include them in the list. They're going to be bright red.

Quote:
hard candies

For my kids, maybe not the best idea laugh.

Quote:
grease pencil so they can leave message on most any surface

That's a great idea. What might work better for them would be a small pack of crayons and a little notebook.

Quote:
spare lithium AAA cell

I originally decided against this but I'll reconsider.

Quote:
scissors

At the ages they're at now, I'm going with no sharps.

Quote:
section of orange survey tape

With all the brightly colored items already included, I don't think this would be worthwhile for them. In an adult's kit, or if I expect them to be moving around and marking their trail, sure, but they're trained to hug a tree and blow their whistles if they get lost.

Quote:
chem light

Not a fan. I'd rather give them another AAA battery; the runtime of the Thrunite Ti on low is rated for 125 hours, and it's way sturdier than a chem light.

#248036 - 07/06/12 12:49 AM Re: Kids' Go Bag [Re: chaosmagnet]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
How old are the kids?

They are 11, 8 and 6. It has not escaped my attention that in seven more years I will have three teenaged girls in the house.

My sympathies! Know any hair restoration experts? You might need them. smile

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
]Add a laminated contact list of people & #s for the girls that they can call or if a someone else finds the bag, allows them to contact the parents to notify them.

Under the whistle.

Oh, I missed that. I was thinking it was a fresnel magnifying lense for some reason.

#248038 - 07/06/12 01:31 AM Re: Kids' Go Bag [Re: chaosmagnet]
Frisket Offline
Addict

A way to make more water. For their ages Fire and Chemicals are out of the question i would guess but maybe a filter? A filtration bottle or a Filtration straw more likely then a full on pump.

#248039 - 07/06/12 01:52 AM Re: Kids' Go Bag [Re: chaosmagnet]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I think screaming pink bandanas would be more appropriate - maybe. Or their favorite color in neon.

#248040 - 07/06/12 02:30 AM Re: Kids' Go Bag [Re: ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

Kit looks good, though. Maybe throw in something more kid-candy-friendly. Like some M&M's.

I get the trail mix that has M&M's in it, they pick the M&M's out first but eventually eat the rest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 415 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.