Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#247813 - 07/01/12 02:40 PM Re: "Derecho" Slams DC-Maryland-Virginia (and others) [Re: Dagny]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Good report, Dagny. Glad you're okay.

#247815 - 07/01/12 02:43 PM Re: "Derecho" Slams DC-Maryland-Virginia (and others) [Re: Dagny]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
We only caught the fringes of the storm up here; I have friends further down in the county that lost power and other friends elsewhere in the state who had trees come down.

I was talking to a couple friends who were bemoaning their lack of a generator, and they said they didn't get one because when they last looked it was during the hurricane last summer and the prices were jacked up. I gently pointed out that if they bought one NOW, then it would be less expensive and they'd have it when needed. I doubt the message got through. crazy

#247821 - 07/01/12 05:03 PM Re: "Derecho" Slams DC-Maryland-Virginia (and others) [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Good to be reminded occasionally of food safety guidance for when the power goes out. DC-area media are doing a good job of helping peops by providing such info. There is additional useful encouragement for being more prepared in the future by having coolers on hand as well as a stockpile of food that does not require refrigeration:

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2012/07/harris-teeter-locations-give-out-free-ice-77465.html

The Center for Disease Control says if your power is out for less than two hours, all the food in your refrigerator will be safe for you and your family to eat.

While the power is out, the refrigerator and freezer doors should be kept closed as much as possible. Food will be safe in a half full freezer for up to 24 hours, 48 hours in a full freezer.

Should your power be out for longer than two hours, the CDC says remember the ABCDs of food safety:

Always keep meat, poultry, fish and eggs refrigerated at or below 40 °F and frozen food at or below 0 °F. Get dry or block ice to help keep your food at these temperatures.

#247828 - 07/01/12 08:40 PM Re: "Derecho" Slams DC-Maryland-Virginia (and others) [Re: Dagny]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Been very blessed here in the Tri-Cities. Three storms in three days and nothing bad for us.

My thoughts to those less fortunate...

#247844 - 07/02/12 12:51 AM Re: "Derecho" Slams DC-Maryland-Virginia (and others) [Re: Finn]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Gloria just talked to her son in Newark Ohio. No power, Temps of 100. Very little food available. Limited ice. No water. Only one fuel station. Power expected to be off for several more days. He thinks it is the same in Columbus. Folks are getting a bit on edge.

Most of the media is focused on the east coast, but it appears that the situation is widespread. Glad we are in rural Maine at the moment. Nice here. A bit rainy but otherwise very nice.

Nomad

#247845 - 07/02/12 12:57 AM Re: "Derecho" Slams DC-Maryland-Virginia (and others) [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Forty-eight hours after the storm hit and over quarter of the households and businesses in DC-Baltimore metro areas still are without power.

Some percentage of area residents will resolve to be more prepared in the future - the one positive of events like this.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/powe...ic.html?hpid=z2

Power outages in the area

As of 8 p.m. Sunday, 27 percent of the 2 million customers of Pepco, Dominion Resources, Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative (Novec), Baltimore Gas and Electric (BG&E), and Potomac Edison were without power after Friday’s storm.

#247851 - 07/02/12 01:44 AM Re: "Derecho" Slams DC-Maryland-Virginia (and others) [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Dagny - Did you tough it out in DC or head for the hills to go camping?

#247852 - 07/02/12 02:04 AM Re: "Derecho" Slams DC-Maryland-Virginia (and others) [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
Dagny - Did you tough it out in DC or head for the hills to go camping?

Hi Russ,

We stayed in DC. Too hot for my taste, even in the mountains. And I haven't had to tough anything out - I never lost power.

A/c is glorious!

Some friends are starting to get power on this evening. One of them had an unwelcome surprise, though -- when the substation was cranked up the transformer to her house started sparking.

The work crews have my highest regard for working in this relentless heat (even our overnight temps constitute a hot day) and under such hazardous conditions.

We're slated to get t-storms, possibly severe, after midnight tonight. Hopefully that won't happen because it would slow the power restoration effort.

#247854 - 07/02/12 02:53 AM Re: "Derecho" Slams DC-Maryland-Virginia (and others) [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
cool I spent enough time in MD/VA/DC to know that A/C is not optional -- "glorious" is a good adjective. You were fortunate to have had power. Location, location, location ...

Where I live in SOCAL A/C is optional and a waste imo.

#247856 - 07/02/12 04:55 AM Re: "Derecho" Slams DC-Maryland-Virginia (and others) [Re: ]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Tragically my sister does own a generator, but it's illegal to run them in her neighborhood without a sound variance from the police and the city. They found that out the hard way during a snow storm...

102 there and they have a baby. Scary stuff.

Where is this? I have a hard time believing that any town would fine someone for trying to keep their family and home safe during a disaster, or that a community would even pass such a law.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.