Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#248090 - 07/07/12 11:01 AM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: freeballer
I wouldn't mind cr123a as long as there's a noticeable difference.

Check out the FourSevens Quark Pro line to compare:

1xCR123A (QPL): 205 lumens for one hour max output

1xAA (QPA): 109 lumens for one hour max output

2xCR123A (QP2L): 230 lumens for two hours max output

2xAA (QP2A): 205 lumens for one hour max output

That's a pretty significant difference!

(I have no affiliation with any flashlight manufacturer or vendor other than as a customer)

#248105 - 07/07/12 04:49 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
CR123A is high performing and would be household name if everybody collectively switched over. My reservation is that the performance of a modern AA flashight is more than adequate for me. Also, CR123A is currently not ubiquitous and is useless in my other gear. So, I won't be switching to CR123A anytime soon. Even if I owned a CR123A flashlight, I wouldn't carry it in my EDC bag. I'd still carry my AA flashlight because of the ease of getting AA batteries, and I need AA for other stuff anyway.

Maybe 10 years from now, I'll be singing a different tune.

#248108 - 07/07/12 05:09 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
freeballer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: nb, Canada
yeah. I hate to admit it but it would last a bit longer on the lower settings..
My old camera took them... but that was before I went digital. That'd have to be 5 yrs ago and they were probably the same price as then.

Stephen. can the pouch you mentioned be worn in both horizontal and vertical position? And is that more of a plastic clip, or velcro?

#248112 - 07/07/12 05:25 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
gitnready4it Offline
Stranger

I have been carrying a Maratac 1AAA flashlight in my pocket for over a year now and wouldn't trade it for anything. It has three brightness settings, is very small and water proof,and is nearly indestructible since it is made of stainless steel. After a year in my pocket with keys,knives,change, and whatever else i carry it is still like new. Not even a scratch on the glass. I made a small para cord fob for it so i can get at it easily. bought it at CountyComm for $30.00.

Survival Foods

#248115 - 07/07/12 06:00 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: freeballer
Stephen. can the pouch you mentioned be worn in both horizontal and vertical position? And is that more of a plastic clip, or velcro?

I am not 100% but yes, I think you can. I would look but it's packed away in a moving box at the moment. The clip (where you attach to your belt) is hard plastic and rather thick. Like I said, very well made. It is held closed by velcro.

I have the larger one which has a pouch on the bottom for (whatever) and a key attachment place. My ONLY complaint it the size, and that is why it will be moving on to my "sell on ebay" pile. Personal preference is all it boils down to.

#248164 - 07/08/12 03:14 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I recomend the Gerber Infinity flashlight.It takes an AA battery.Gerber took over the old CMG Infinity flashlights and made a few cosmetic changes.Still bomb proof functionallity though.I have seen them at some Targets or can be found online for around fifteen dollars....

BOATMAN
John

#248165 - 07/08/12 03:18 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: boatman]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
+1
I keep forgetting the Gerber Infinity but I've had one for a long time (as in I don't remember when I bought it) and it's still going strong. Simple, one output setting and a single AA alkaline will go for about 20-24 hours IIRC.

#248200 - 07/09/12 01:53 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: Russ]
Patriot_RAM Offline
Stranger

Loc: U.S.A.
I bought a Smith & Wesson for my BOB a few months ago and LOVE it!! grin It's very bright, and the battery consumption is decent too. I use Duracell process batteries and get quite a bit of run time.

The thing is rugged, bright, and has a great price as well. I know a few others that have bought this light and have been happy with the purchase as well.

It also comes with a nylon pouch to carry it in. There's even a place for a couple extra batteries! I wrote a review on it, check it out:

http://frugalhomesteaders.net/blog/2012/01/29/smithandwessonflashlightreview/

Here's one of the pics I took of mine:

Great buy!

Patriot_RAM

Edited by Patriot_RAM (07/09/12 01:55 PM)

#248204 - 07/09/12 02:27 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: Patriot_RAM]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Patriot_RAM
I bought a Smith & Wesson for my BOB a few months ago and LOVE it!!

It sure looks like another rebranded Nuwai X-3. If it is, I've had a couple and I'm not a big fan. It has only 100 lumens at the emitter (so closer to 65-70 OTF), and the switch is far from great. For almost thirty bucks there are a number out there that perform better and feel like they have better build quality.

#248206 - 07/09/12 03:16 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Patriot_RAM Offline
Stranger

Loc: U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: Patriot_RAM
I bought a Smith & Wesson for my BOB a few months ago and LOVE it!!

It sure looks like another rebranded Nuwai X-3. If it is, I've had a couple and I'm not a big fan. It has only 100 lumens at the emitter (so closer to 65-70 OTF), and the switch is far from great. For almost thirty bucks there are a number out there that perform better and feel like they have better build quality.

I looked up the Nuwai X-3 and it looks like it's probably manufactured by them. Personally, I love the light. The output is very bright with the Duracell procell's that I use in it.

Thanks for the input!

Patriot_RAM

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.