The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#247951 - 07/04/12 03:16 AM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: LesSnyder]
ame Offline

Loc: Korea
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
I am trying to standardize to AA and D cells...

Good plan!

Have you seen these?

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/soshine-2xaa-to-d-size-cell-battery-converter-case-2-pack-7031?item=34

There are several similar designs that accept 3 or 4 AA cells in a D form factor. Even the simple ones for a single AA would allow you to use an AA cell to get your D equipment working (for a shorter time, of course).

Watch out- some designs are series, which means the 3 AA cells are connected together to give 4.5V, which is probably not what you want.

#247952 - 07/04/12 03:30 AM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: KenK]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: KenK
Originally Posted By: freeballer
Preferably it would fit in a bob or something I could carry on belt in a sheath, or clipped.

Did I miss something? I saw no mention of being limited to EDC. I was thinking the headlamp would fit nicely in a BOB (Bug Out Bag) ... that's how mine is carried.

I carry an ARC AAA LED light in pocket, EDC.

Ahhhh.......Son of a.........

No. I had EDC on the brain and didn't notice the word BOB added in there. (slaps self up side of head)

For a BOB, nothing would beat a good headlamp. Hands down. I have a browning black ice that I cannot kill. I am waiting for it to break so I can get something else but its tougher than hell. Not very bright, but bright enough. The colored LEDs are excellent for hunting (as designed)

Still kinda funny picturing you walk around all day with a headlamp on though.

#247956 - 07/04/12 03:55 AM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I use an Apex Pro by Princeton (200 lumen) sans the third strap for my BOB. And a Fenix P3D (205 lumen) for my EDC. Both are CR123 powered so I bought a small box at a heavily discounted $1/ea. - they are Japanese not Chinese branded. I just would like to find a decent carrier for the spares.

I also have a Fenix TK35 in the kitchen drawer.

#247957 - 07/04/12 03:58 AM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: Stephen]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Stephen
Still kinda funny picturing you walk around all day with a headlamp on though.

Naw ... only at night. My wife is never too happy when I'm wearing the headlamp in bed though.

Of course that's the same wonderful wife that gave me a Doug Ritter RSK Mk2 Perseverance for Father's Day!!!

#247965 - 07/04/12 12:35 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
freeballer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: nb, Canada
Looking through their specs its a bit of a surprise there's so many settings. But also very nice, I can definitely see myself swaping my "penlight" with an arc or similar for edc.

I was toying with the idea of a headlamp for the house kit, or in the car. Do you find they stay pretty stationary with the battery packs and all?

One other reason i suggested a standard battery is also $$ it seems if you look hard enough you might find some discounted ones.. Which probably means planning ahead.

forgive the pop culture reference, it reminds me of family guy where they lose power and wearing headlamps and peter keeps staring at her boobs.

Edited by freeballer (07/04/12 12:38 PM)

#247966 - 07/04/12 01:04 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
There are quite a few good, dependable flashlights with variable brightness levels that use standard batteries (AA or AAA). I like a Fenix LD01 on my keychain for EDC. If I had only one light, it would be a headlamp, hands down. ZebraLight has some really neat models, like the 502 - light, bright, and versatile.

#247968 - 07/04/12 01:47 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
ame... my D adapters are a generic single cell spacer type.. my heavier draw tent fans are adapted to a 12v car battery...got a pretty good supply of D cells for the MagLights

freeballer...the Black Diamond has a third strap, with the battery pack in the rear...very solid, though it does weigh more than the cheaper 3 AAA single strap ones... so far, very comfortable, wore it when I was reclaiming a shallow well, for about 4 hours down in the well...I still have a couple of the older AAA Energizers with lithium stashed in the car

#247970 - 07/04/12 02:59 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
For an EDC headlamp take a look at this:

Petzl E94 Zipka 2 Headlamp

It has a unique headstrap that is very small.

REI also carries this.

#247971 - 07/04/12 03:01 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: freeballer]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: freeballer
Do you find they {headlamps} stay pretty stationary with the battery packs and all?

The Princeton Tec EOS is rock solid on my head. It doesn't really weight that much anyway. No issues with movement or flopping. The up/down angle adjustment has 'stops' to help prevent it from drooping. Works well.

Personally I don't care for headlamps that have secondary battery packs because they become difficult to handle off-head. I want them simple.

#247974 - 07/04/12 05:30 PM Re: good flashlight for bob or edc? [Re: Roarmeister]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I've seen several options for carrying spares.

1 Check out the spare carrier from Surefire. It's heavy plastic with a seal & will hold four batteries. They also make a six cell model
2 A Pelican case with foam
3 Battery Holder
4 Unsealed Case

For times where getting it wet isn't a factor, I'm using options three & four.

When water proof is needed, the spares carriers are more compact but carry fewer cells.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 395 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.