Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#247847 - 07/02/12 01:07 AM Re: If The Forum Loses Credibility? [Re: Chisel]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Chisel
Answering your question, yes, The good forum was the one asking for real names, but that was not THE reason it was good.

There's nothing a forum can do--no rules or requirements or anything imposed on members externally--that is going to ensure "credibility," let alone ensuring a loftier goal like having a forum that is good or helpful.

I think that credibility in the eyes of a reader ultimately comes from the quality of the posts and that requires some care, some thoughtfulness, and oftentimes, even some self-restraint, on the part of posters. I think we've been fortunate that we have a membership that exhibit these traits. The regulars posting at any given time has changed over the years but I think we've maintained a pretty high level of quality, civility, and credibility through that whole time.

#247849 - 07/02/12 01:39 AM Re: If The Forum Loses Credibility? [Re: MDinana]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Chaosmagnet, when Blast and Doug wanted your name, did you get theirs too? Anything end up missing a week later? wink

Doug's name, as far as I can tell (and it's not like I've hired a private investigator or anything) is actually Doug Ritter. Blast was able to show me a report from the Fire Department about something he blew up and burned down, so it looked pretty legit to me.

The only thing that's gone missing since is a bunch of my time laugh.

#247853 - 07/02/12 02:36 AM Re: If The Forum Loses Credibility? [Re: chaosmagnet]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
IMHO:
This is an enjoyable group, but it is not the beginning of a sacred document that will influence civilization for a millenium. It is an internet forum, and if it becomes troublesome in any fashion, as it has a couple of times in the past, DR may choose to shut it down. Which is a reasonable decision: we are guests on DR's website, and should try to avoid embarassing him, and anticipate consequences if we do so.
Regarding credibility, I most appreciate those posts that offer references and footnotes, along with opinions and anecdotes.

And Blast may actually be a 14 year old girl in dubuque, and I may be cop in illinois trolling for internet abusers. It doesn't matter: If the advice is good, it doesn't matter who offers it. I recently read biographies of several of my favorite philosophers: all of them wrote influential and powerful treatises: none of them were good company. YMMV.

#247858 - 07/02/12 05:29 AM Re: If The Forum Loses Credibility? [Re: quick_joey_small]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
We've had our share of liars, fantasists, trolls and just plain nutters.
I think the moderators stamp on them early now as they are rarer and rarer. We learn to ignore them.

qjs

I was going to make this point. Because this is comparatively a smaller tighter group of communicators in only four categories, it is pretty easy to sort out the guys hawking their own product, trolling or just instigating.

Without opening up raw wounds, we have also had long standing commentators called out for their own stories and asked to prove some their facts. While new forum user never really need to know that, we try to be as credible as possible by policing ourselves and staying with the narrow frame work of real prepping situations. Very, very rarely will you see the word Zombie or Post Apocalyptic stuff. The mall ninja's and airsofters catalog SEAL's tend to congregate around the doughnuts on the other side of the building.

#247870 - 07/02/12 03:32 PM Re: If The Forum Loses Credibility? [Re: Frisket]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
This discussion is EXACTLY why I keep returning to this forum. A wealth of useful information from lots of different and (in my opinion anyway) reputable sources. Is that the end of my research? By all means no. DO I automatically embrace other people's ideas or suggestions? Of course not. More research, testing, and eventually making my own opinions and decisions follow.

As far as credibility goes, well, let's just say this IS my real name, and I make no pretense about who I am or my level of expertise. I am a lowly insurance agent (yes, a google search will confirm this) who happens to like the outdoors, and loves the fact that my son is involved in scouting and that I am able to be amongst the few scout leaders in his pack (in fact, I will be the cubmaster for the next year). So I come here asking for advice, and occasionally (with plenty of disclaimers) offer some of my own from what I have learned or experienced through the years. I am always taking notes and always learning about new technology, new techniques, and new gear that is available.

And as far as voicing opinions, I think we have ALL been guilty of that a time or two. wink

#247872 - 07/02/12 06:14 PM Re: If The Forum Loses Credibility? [Re: ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Don't down play that on a board like ETS. Having the insight of someone in the insurance industry is helpful.

I completely agree. I work in a food distribution center which gives me some insight in the food industry.

When we experienced a peanut shortage last year, I knew about it before John Q. Consumer.

Jeanette Isabelle

#247873 - 07/02/12 06:17 PM Re: If The Forum Loses Credibility? [Re: Frisket]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
+1 on that Izzy. I consider my insurance agents to be trusted advisors. IMO, insurance is more likely to be tapped in an emergency than the fire kits we keep in our Bug Out bags.

#247875 - 07/02/12 07:25 PM Re: If The Forum Loses Credibility? [Re: GarlyDog]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
We all have our specialties. I guess if you need insight into how badly corporate telephone systems are failing around the globe, you could come to me for that.

#247887 - 07/03/12 01:46 AM Re: If The Forum Loses Credibility? [Re: Mark_F]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
At the local Survivor Day here in VA, one of the presenters was an insurance agent and gave good, solid advice for homeowners & renters. In turn, he learned alot about using modern technology and electronic storage. It was a productive session.

#247908 - 07/03/12 01:45 PM Re: If The Forum Loses Credibility? [Re: ]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
I am a lowly insurance agent.

Don't down play that on a board like ETS. Having the insight of someone in the insurance industry is helpful.

Hmmm, perhaps I could have phrased that better. I did not mean to imply that my profession was lowly ... just that I am no expert on survival or anything else I usually comment on in the forum. That said, I have learned a LOT by reading, taking notes and experimenting. My family and I have come a long way in terms of preparedness, and hope to become even more prepared in the days/months/years to come so when we have a real emergency, we'll be ready.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.