The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#247441 - 06/25/12 06:00 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
specwar Offline
Stranger

Loc: North Central Indiana
I use those 5-hr energy bottles, cleaned out, dried, and put one scoop of Country Time Lemonade in them. Time to re-hydrate, put into 16oz of water works for me.

#247443 - 06/25/12 12:13 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: nursemike]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Fluid replacement position paper

Courtesy of the american college of sports medicine. They also have a consumers guide to fluid replacement that is less rigorous and panders suitably to commercial interests.

They suggest daily weights after arising and voiding, with comparison weights after exercise to calculate actual fluid loss, which seems to vary from not much to 8 liters for a 300 pound lineman in full pads. A liter of water weighs one kilogram, or a pints a pound.

#247452 - 06/25/12 02:41 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: nursemike]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: nursemike
electrolyte/bottled water/soft drinks are a triumph of marketing creating a perceived need and selling a product to fill the need.

I would agree that the success of soft drinks is tributed to the right marketing; the marketing strategy of soft drinks is completely different from bottled water and electrolyte drinks.

Jeanette Isabelle

#247483 - 06/25/12 10:02 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Originally Posted By: nursemike
electrolyte/bottled water/soft drinks are a triumph of marketing creating a perceived need and selling a product to fill the need.

I would agree that the success of soft drinks is tributed to the right marketing; the marketing strategy of soft drinks is completely different from bottled water and electrolyte drinks.

Jeanette Isabelle

I am sure that you are correct. I am profoundly ignorant of marketing science: I was an er nurse, and you got it our way or you pretty much didn't get it at all. My gripe is that one needs fluids, but one is taught by marketing science to want zero calorie, zero caffeine, carbonated goo instead of water. In fact, it occurs to me that as our marketing industry has become more effective at changing our behavior, our education industry seems to have become less effective at so doing. If only all that marketing power could be harnessed for good, rather than evil...

#247494 - 06/26/12 01:59 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have been researching this topic as a treatment for diarrhea, and other similar ailments, while in austere medical environments. My research led me to this YouTube video:

Video

The video (and further research by WHO) led me to order this product from Amazon:

Drip Drop

I have not tried it yet, so I cannot comment on taste. But they seem to have everything needed, and pack/travel well. When at home, I would probably just mix up my own drink, or drink a V8 juice like nursemike suggested (although I would probably drink the low-sodium version, as it has more potassium in it).

#247501 - 06/26/12 03:29 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: KI6IW]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: KI6IW
I have been researching this topic as a treatment for diarrhea, and other similar ailments, while in austere medical environments. My research led me to this YouTube video:

Video

The video (and further research by WHO) led me to order this product from Amazon:

Drip Drop

I have not tried it yet, so I cannot comment on taste. But they seem to have everything needed, and pack/travel well. When at home, I would probably just mix up my own drink, or drink a V8 juice like nursemike suggested (although I would probably drink the low-sodium version, as it has more potassium in it).

Color me a bit skeptical (and my SO who has some years of 3rd world NGO relief work experience) on this product. The allusion (not to be confused with illusion) of wording on their website and Amazon skirts the fine line of the product being endorsed or used by the World Health Organization.

Also on their website, they claim:
The Drip Drop team travelled to Port Au Prince shortly after the devastating earthquake in 2010 to save the lives of Haitians with oral rehydration therapy. This an unsubstantiated statement that their product is what actually saved the lives of those people...and not probable proper medical care also.

Finally on Amazon, it says that their current product expires in 08/12 which is only 2 months away. This not a product that I would want in my USK (urban survival kit) nor my wilderness kits as an emergency use product that has such a short shelf life...

John Lubbock

#247503 - 06/26/12 04:02 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Teslinhiker]
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
You make excellent points. I did not pay much attention to the marketing hype. I was more interested in the ingredient list. Regarding the expiration date, the contents are sugar and various minerals, so it is unclear to me what would ever expire.

Specific products aside, do you (or your wife) have any insights on how well this concept might work, or what might work better?

Thank you.

#247506 - 06/26/12 04:49 AM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: KI6IW]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: KI6IW
You make excellent points. I did not pay much attention to the marketing hype. I was more interested in the ingredient list. Regarding the expiration date, the contents are sugar and various minerals, so it is unclear to me what would ever expire.

Specific products aside, do you (or your wife) have any insights on how well this concept might work, or what might work better?

Thank you.

On the first page of this thread is a basic ORS recipe which combined with a couple of kool aid packs is sufficient for 99% of us. Also the ingredients in Gatorade powder is not all that much different then the product you are interested in...

When I first really got involved with the outdoors and hiking and mountain climbing, there was an older Austrian man who would occasionally join our outings. When we would stop for lunch and meal breaks, us younger lads would pull out, at the time, the high tech drinks, meal bars etc and scarve them down while the older...and much wiser man would quietly chow down on some heavy bread, a hunk of sausage, some cheese, an orange or banana or 2 and wash it all down with water. We thought he was so "old "school" but little did we know at the time, his choice of food and diet negated his need for supplementary energy drinks and meal bars...and at a much cheaper cost to him.

John Lubbock

#247518 - 06/26/12 02:59 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Teslinhiker]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

There is much to be learned from the old.

IMHO, the challenge in using oral rehydration solutions is less the recipe than it is getting it into the patient, who is lethargic, nauseated, not thirsty or all of the above. My chronically ill child could be kept out of the hospital if she was kept hydrated at home. Grandma solved the problem by setting her up in front of the tv with a shot glass full of lemonade and 5 minute timer. each time the timer went off, the kid drank 30 cc: 150 cc/ hr was plenty to maintain her fluid balance... and it seemed more like a game than therapy. YMMV.

#247519 - 06/26/12 03:01 PM Re: Electrolyte replacement [Re: Finn]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
As another RN I agree with what Mike said,electrolyte replacement really is a matter for hospitals,not sport drinks.

Stick with water IMO,FWIW.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.