The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#247456 - 06/25/12 03:59 PM Re: Back up compass [Re: gonewiththewind]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Looks like a very interesting compass. At $79 it's a bit expensive.

Would enjoy reading about your experiences with the c0mpass when you get one.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com

#247479 - 06/25/12 09:35 PM Re: Back up compass [Re: Pete]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Pete
backup compass = small GPS unit !!!

I just use 2 different technologies.
The chances of both failing are very small.

After that, I don't carry a "backup of a backup of a backup".
That just creates too much gear. You get bogged down. Instead, I focus on knowing my gear, buying reliable stuff, and trying hard not to lose it :-) just my $0.02

Pete2

I can think of a few reasons for having a back up of backup for such essential items as a compass.

There have been times where I am more then 50-60 offroad miles from the nearest village or town. If I were to somehow lose or break my main compass, I would not be so certain that I would want to continue solo with only one compass, especically for hikes that may take me 2-3 walking days further away from the trail or area starting point.

Also when there is group travel, it is mandatory (no exceptions) that every person have a compass, amongst other personal survival gear. If by chance, someone forgets their compass (it has happened) then at least the trip is not worried with the burden that there is no spare compass to loan. This may seem like overkill or over thinking, however the one time that a person in a group does not have a compass, then it is this person who gets separated from the group and gets lost. Furthermore as the most experienced person in the group on many trips, I am charged with the responsibility of ensuring that everyone who may have less experience and travels with me has the requisite gear to ensure that their safety and well being is thought of before we head out.

As for the mention of creating too much gear and getting bogged down. My three compassses stacked together are about 1-3/4 times the height of a deck of playing cards and not much longer or wider and probably close to the same weight as the same deck of cards. I don't think that this extra bulk and weight would bog down any person, regardless of their physical condition...

John Lubbock

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.