Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#247262 - 06/20/12 02:53 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: bacpacjac]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
A hat? Not likely. One of our Scouts made one out of tin foil this weekend so it's at the front of my brain. I keep a hat close at hand, if not on my head. How about fire alarm + blazing sun + ill co-worker? Leaky fire repression system after the nuke alarm goes off? Belief that the bosses are using mind-control devices? wink

That's one reason I carry a Buff instead of a regular bandanna. I have used it several times, but always as a clothing supplement - do-rag, watch cap, neck gaiter, balaclava, etc. I find the Buff is much easier to use in this capacity than a bandanna.

Here is a demo of the Buff for those unfamiliar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQAKQ0y87d0

#247263 - 06/20/12 02:58 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: Stephen]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have spent more than 30 years doing a great deal of out door work and I have found a hundred uses for a bandana, including as a mask, for dust though. I do not think it would help much in a chemical contamination situation. You are right that it is easy to improvise, but it always seems that if you don't bring it, you won't have it. A bandana takes up little room and weighs almost nothing. I generally use a triangular bandage as a bandana, but I do like to have a larger one at times.

Just talking about scenarios where there is contamination, I have experimented with a clear plastic bag. If you have clean air to fill it with, you can put it over your head and breath safely for more than a minute, keeping a tight seal around your neck. I know how this sounds, but I tried it and it works for a short time. Maybe enough to escape to a safer environment.

#247264 - 06/20/12 03:10 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: gonewiththewind]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Montanero
If you have clean air to fill it with, you can put it over your head...

Mommy always told me to never do that.

Hmmm, if we ignore Mommy's advice, think of the possibilities with one of those big plastic dry cleaning bags! wink

Ugh, sorry, I haven't had my morning coffee yet...

Seriously, it's a good idea in certain situations, if it comes to that. Better than getting a big whiff of tear gas or anthrax spores or whatever, until I can hightail it out of immediate danger. Think about many of those smoke or "escape" hoods on the market--many are essentially a plastic bag you put over your head, except these have a way to breathe through them (I'm being safe, Mom, really!)

#247266 - 06/20/12 03:59 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: Stephen]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Stephen

Unless the ladies don't wear shirts where you work. In that case let me know where it is and I will swing by to drop off a resume laugh

LOL! That wouldn't be pretty. wink

I wonder has anyone used one for anything other than wiping sweat off themselves? Personally I think a pair of gloves would be much better to pack in a pocket if you insist on using the space.

I used mine this past weekend, actually, when one of my Cub Scouts got a gash on her leg at camp and my FAK was a little walk away. Grabbed by banadana and water bottle water and cleaned her right up. Put a little pressure on while someone else brought the kit. It wasn't bad enough to need to stitches, so far from an emergency, but it stopped the tears quickly.

Hey, I just noticed you are from Ontario Jack. I just sold my house in Alberta and will be moving there in a few weeks. Maybe I will see you out on the trails.

Cool! Hopefully this heat wave will clear out before you get here. It's 45C with the humidex, or some such nonesense, right now.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#247267 - 06/20/12 04:10 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: gonewiththewind]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Montanero
I have spent more than 30 years doing a great deal of out door work and I have found a hundred uses for a bandana,

Ahhh yes, I agree that some may indeed find use for a bandana in the outdoors, but the topic was related to things to always have at work.

I suppose it depends where you work, but in most urban settings the space may be better used. Just an opinion of course. I find it equally as odd when people list a fire steel high on the list of urban survival tools.

#247268 - 06/20/12 04:17 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: bacpacjac]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
After dealing with -50 deg cel winters I won't mind a bit of heat.

If you don't mind Jack. I may send you a PM when I am settled to get some intel on good trails in the area. Assuming you are anywhere close to where I will be living anyway.

Take care smile

#247276 - 06/20/12 05:58 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: KI6IW]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Three different ways of charging my phone, wall charger, car and battery pack. Most useful.

#247280 - 06/20/12 06:19 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: Stephen]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I like to say I am as "prepared" as the next guy, but to laynard a second set of keys to my body or carry a flashlight to use, and one "not to use" is a bit over the top for normal everyday life IMO. It's a wonder some of us can walk around the corner to check the mail without a tac vest full of supplies.

When I walk from one building to the next at my job or outside in my yard (threat level zero), all I have with me are what is in my pockets: cell phone and key chain with a Fox 40 Classic and my anxiety medication in a pill fob.

Jeanette Isabelle

#247287 - 06/20/12 09:06 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: Stephen]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
After dealing with -50 deg cel winters I won't mind a bit of heat.

If you don't mind Jack. I may send you a PM when I am settled to get some intel on good trails in the area. Assuming you are anywhere close to where I will be living anyway.

Take care smile

I could totally go for some of that winter right now. I much prefer winter to summer. You can always warm up but coooling down isn't so easy some times.

It would be my pleasure, Stephen. I don't know 'em all but do know a lot of people throughout the province who'd gladly pass on their sage advice.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#247303 - 06/21/12 04:48 PM Re: Four Things to Always Have With You at Work [Re: Arney]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Yes, that was me who started it. And I still have all of those items on my person at all times.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.